Skip Top Navigation

Academic Affairs Policies, Procedures, and Handbooks

Academic Affairs Policies and Procedures (Students)

View UHCL Undergraduate & Graduate Catalogs

Academic Affairs Policies and Procedures (Faculty)

Faculty Handbook

Download the Faculty Handbook (PDF)

Adjunct Faculty Handbook

Introduction & Overview


The University of Houston-Clear Lake Adjunct Faculty Handbook has been developed as an information resource and guide for UHCL adjunct faculty. Although it is not a comprehensive document, it has been designed to provide resource and policy information related to UHCL. This publication does not supersede any Federal, State, or local law, nor University policies or catalogs. We are releasing it for general guidance, but it is not a contract, and University policies, for good and sufficient reason, must reserve the right to deviate from the conditions and procedures described herein.

Specific questions arising regarding current policies, interpretation of policies or information not covered in this document should be directed to the Office of the Dean in the individual Colleges or the Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost. Suggestions for revisions of this document should be directed to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs.

Introduction to UHCL

University of Houston-Clear Lake is a student-centered, community-minded, partnership-oriented university that offers bachelor's, master's and select doctoral degree programs to enhance the educational, economic, and cultural environment of the region. The university serves a diverse student population from the state, the nation and abroad – particularly from the Houston-Galveston metropolitan area – by offering programs on and off campus.
UHCL offers a variety of programs in business, education, human sciences and humanities, and science and engineering. Academic programs are designed to develop the critical thinking, creative, quantitative, leadership and communication skills of students. The university is committed to community engagement through partnerships with educational institutions, businesses, government agencies and nonprofit organizations.

The establishment of UHCL was authorized by the 62nd Texas Legislature in 1971. The measure was the result of a 1968 report by the Coordinating Board, Texas College and University System (now the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board), which called for a second University of Houston campus to provide upper-level and graduate programs. In 1973, the Texas Senate authorized construction of a permanent campus at Clear Lake.

Construction began early in 1974 with the first phase of the Bayou Building, the largest of the university’s five principal buildings. September 1974 marked the beginning of regularly scheduled classes on the UHCL campus under the leadership of founding chancellor, Alfred R. Neumann. Opening-day enrollment totaled 1,069 students. The charter faculty included 60 professors. Today, the university has approximately 8,600 students, and more than 600 full-time and adjunct faculty.

In fall 2014, UHCL welcomed its first-ever freshman class. The university received approval from the state in 2011 for downward expansion, which allowed the university to add freshman and sophomore- level courses to its roster.

The University of Houston-Clear Lake is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Questions about the accreditation of the University of Houston-Clear Lake may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website ( The College of Business maintains accreditation for graduate and undergraduate business programs by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International). College of Business graduate and undergraduate accounting programs also maintain separate AACSB accounting accreditation. The College of Education is accredited by the Texas State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC). The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), has granted accreditation to the Clinical Mental Health Counseling (M.S.) program in the Department of Counseling, Special Education, and Diversity, College of Education at University of Houston-Clear Lake. The College of Human Sciences and Humanities is home to a number of accredited programs. The Behavior Analysis program is accredited by the Association for Behavioral Analysis International. The Human Factors/Ergonomics Certificate and the Human Factors concentration in the master's degree Psychology program are both accredited by the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. The Registered Nurse-to-Bachelor of Science in Nursing program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing. The Bachelor of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The Doctor of Psychology in Health Service Psychology has been awarded accreditation by the American Psychological Association. The School Psychology program is approved by and has received National Recognition from the National Association of School Psychologists. In addition, the National Strength and Conditioning Association has recognized the Fitness and Human Performance curriculum as preparing students for successful entrance into the career field. The College of Science and Engineering's undergraduate degree programs in Computer Engineering and Mechanical Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The undergraduate degree programs in Computer Science and Computer Information Systems are accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET. The undergraduate program in Chemistry is accredited by the American Chemical Society (ACS). The undergraduate programs in Occupational Safety and Health-Safety and Industrial Hygiene are accredited by the Applied and Natural Science Commission (ANSAC) of ABET. The Office of Counseling Services is accredited by the International Accreditation of Counseling Services (IACS). The Doctoral Internship in Health Service Psychology in the Office of Counseling Services is additionally accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA).

The University is authorized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to offer undergraduate and graduate majors, professional certificates as well as specializations and minors. See the UHCL Catalogs in the General Program Requirements section for a list of degrees.

Known for its excellence of instruction and service to adult learners, the University provides education to a diverse student population from the state, the nation and abroad by offering programs on and off campus.

Mission Statement

The University of Houston-Clear Lake places its highest priority on serving a diverse body of students in every aspect of their university experience. UHCL's teacher scholars provide high quality, student-centered undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare students to thrive in a competitive workplace and to make meaningful contributions to their communities. UHCL fosters critical thinking and lifelong learning through a strong legacy of vibrant community partnerships complementing its historical focus on teaching, research, creative activity, and service.

Approved by University Council 2-14-19

1. Contractual Matters


A university is known and evaluated by the quality of faculty it hires. Likewise, the outcomes of courses undertaken are determined by the quality of material presented to the students. The University of Houston-Clear Lake commits to the highest quality of education possible by enhancing the critical and creative skills of adult students through study in the arts, sciences, and professions. Intellectual breadth and depth are strongly emphasized in the curriculum of all Colleges throughout the university.

Teaching excellence, supported by highly qualified faculty and staff members who are professionally active and current in their professional fields is paramount at the institution. In working with students, faculty, staff, and administrators are committed to providing a humane, responsive, and intellectually stimulating environment in which everyone can learn and work productively. Adjunct faculty members are, and will remain, one of the most important and valuable assets of this university. The select group of highly motivated and well-qualified adjunct faculty brings up-to-date information into the classroom where it is integrated with proven principles and philosophies.


The Southern Association of Colleges and Colleges requires that all faculty at an accredited University teaching graduate courses must hold a terminal degree. The majority of faculty teaching at the undergraduate level at UHCL hold a Ph.D., EdD, or other appropriate terminal degree. In some instances, highly qualified or specially credentialed instructors with a significant number of graduate courses in the area taught are on the UHCL faculty. In all instances, adjunct faculty teaching must hold at least a master's degree with at least 18 graduate semester hours in their teaching field.

Equal Opportunity

The University of Houston-Clear Lake commits to providing equal educational, programmatic and employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, veteran's status, disability, or sexual orientation. Inquiries concerning laws and regulations governing employment should be directed to the Office of Human Resources.

Academic Freedom

All faculty shall have certain privileges and responsibilities under the right of academic freedom in keeping with The University of Houston System Board of Regents Policies. This right entitles the teacher to freedom in the classroom in discussing subject matter, but likewise be careful not to introduce into teaching controversial matters that have no direct relation to the subject. The college or university teacher is a citizen, a member of a learned profession and an officer of an educational institution. When teachers speak or write as citizens, they should be free from institutional censorship or discipline, but their special position in the community imposes special obligations. As people of learning and educational officers, teachers should remember that the public may judge the teaching professionals and their institution by the teachers' utterances. Hence, they should at all times be accurate, should exercise appropriate restraint, should show respect for the opinions of others, and should make every effort to indicate that they are not institutional spokespersons.

Initiating the Application Process

The application process is initiated in the College in which the adjunct professor will be teaching. The College will contact prospective adjuncts to complete required forms. All members of the University faculty must have submitted the following documentation - faculty candidate profile, current curriculum vitae, and three letters of reference noting experience in subject area and teaching discipline.

It is the responsibility of the adjunct faculty member to contact the references and ask that the letters of recommendation be sent directly from the institution to the office of the dean or associate dean. Official transcript showing confirmation of the highest degree obtained is to be mailed directly to the appropriate College administrative office.

Additional documentation and information dissemination is required by the Office of Human Resources as outlined in the Temporary/Part-Time Employment Manual.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all prospective employees show acceptable proof of identity and authorization to work upon becoming employed. Failure to provide acceptable documentation will delay hiring. Prospective employees are directed to the Temporary/Part-Time Employment Manual for definitions of acceptable documentation that must be provided. It should also be pointed out that this documentation must be completed prior to the first class period. Failure to complete this documentation may result in cancellation of the offer to teach.

All questions regarding inclusion on the payroll should be directed to the associate dean in the respective college unless otherwise directed.

A person who has previously served as an adjunct and who is returning following a break in service to UHCL adjunct employment may be required to repeat the application and immigration documentation process in compliance with federal law. The employing college is advised to check the I-9 status of any prospective adjunct by calling the Office of Human Resources prior to the adjunct's first day of work. Transcripts and reference letters used in the application process are kept only 5 years. An adjunct whose break in service is 5 or more years may be required to submit original transcripts and new reference letters.

Contractual Agreement

Each adjunct faculty member will be offered a contract in the form of a contractual letter. This letter will extend a conditional offer for a part-time position at the University of Houston-Clear Lake to teach a specific course or courses. It will clearly state the course or courses to be taught along with the remuneration to be received for each course. The University is permitted to employ adjunct faculty only after all full-time faculty members' schedules have been filled. Adjuncts may teach a maximum of two courses per semester. Adjunct appointments must be considered conditional until student registration for the current semester has been concluded. The adjunct faculty appointment will be for the duration of the indicated semester and does not carry a standard university rank for the purpose of accumulating credit toward tenure. All appointments will be made by the dean or the dean's designee of the college responsible for the course offering but will be subject to approval by the Senior Vice President and Provost.

Upon receipt of the contractual letter, the adjunct faculty must sign one copy of the letter in confirmation of their acceptance of the stated terms. The signed letter should be returned to the dean or dean’s designee as soon as possible to facilitate the hiring process. If the new adjunct faculty member is presently employed by another State agency, this fact should be noted on the face of the letter. In this case, it is necessary to complete a Consulting and Paid Professional Services Form to assure compliance with state regulations. No adjunct may begin teaching a class without submitting a signed contract.


Salaries vary from course-to-course and College -to-College, depending upon such factors as demand of the discipline, credentials, and length of employment.

Fringe Benefits

Adjunct faculty members are not eligible for fringe benefits, such as insurance, retirement, or sick leave. Adjuncts currently enrolled in Teacher Retirement System (TRS) through a school district must notify the benefits coordinator in the Office of Human Resources and are required to contribute to TRS.

Evaluation and Renewal

All instructors are required to provide access to teaching evaluation to each class near the end of the semester. Evaluations are available for review, upon request, after semester's end. These evaluations are retained in the appropriate College’s administrative office and are considered as part of the contract renewal process. If an adjunct faculty member is to be retained to teach during subsequent semesters, he or she must have satisfactory reviews. Each semester of employment requires a new contractual letter.

Teaching Responsibilities

Adjunct faculty members are responsible for the instructional quality and the overall conduct of the courses which they teach. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to, the conduct of lectures and or laboratory sessions, evaluation through examinations or other appropriate methods, recitation sessions and homework. Course content should reflect the focus described in the catalog course description. All faculty should be mindful of cultural and gender sensitivities and of the needs and sensitivities of people with disabilities. The final assignment of grades remains the sole responsibility of the individual faculty member responsible for the course. Please refer to the policies and procedures in the Student Life Policies Handbook and in the UHCL Catalogs or seek assistance from the appropriate administrator in the College for guidance on academic issues.

Receiving Checks

In long semesters, adjunct faculty salaries are paid over a period of four or five months for each semester.

Direct Deposit of Payroll

Fiscal considerations compelled the University of Houston System to adopt a policy of mandatory direct deposit of payroll checks on September 1, 1992. Any individual who is unable to establish a direct deposit of their payroll check must contact the Office of Human Resources.

It generally takes two pay cycles for direct deposit to begin. Prior to direct deposit taking effect, a message appears on the paycheck stub indicating the direct deposit account number. This number should be verified immediately. If any discrepancies exist, contact the Office of Human Resources. At the next pay period, instead of receiving a regular paycheck, your earnings statement reflecting the direct deposit amount and account information will be available in P.A.S.S (Personal Advantage Self Service. Every pay day, you should contact your financial institution to verify that the account has been credited with the appropriate amount.

Separation from the University

Just as there is a formal procedure for becoming a UHCL employee, there also is a formal procedure for leaving our employ; we call this latter procedure "terminal clearance." If you are continuing employment from one semester to the next, then you are exempt from terminal clearance for that semester, but if you are not continuing your appointment for the next semester or summer session, then you are required to complete terminal clearance. The procedure is as follows:

Obtain the Separation Packet from the Office of Human Resources (B2537) and online. You are required to turn in your ID card. Turn in your office and any other keys and receive a refund of your key deposit from the University Police Department.

Return all university property to the department or facility including all borrowed materials, identification cards, tools, uniforms, equipment, credit cards, training manuals, all keys, and library books and pay any outstanding fines.

Return completed Separation Form to the Office of Human Resources. Each of these offices must sign off on the Terminal Clearance Form, even if you have not had dealings with the particular office. Please do not go through Terminal clearance on Friday afternoon, when many offices are closed.

2. Logistics

Suite Assignment

Adjunct faculty will be assigned a workspace in a faculty suite to conduct office hours and prepare for class or to perform other duties associated with teaching. Secretarial support will be available through the suite secretary in the assigned suite. Computers are available in computing labs and with limited access in the suites. A UHCL account is the University's official vehicle for communications with adjunct faculty. A Computer Account Application form should be included in your orientation packet. You must complete and return the form to open an account. If you did not receive a form in your packet, please see the Associate Dean to request a form. The account may be renewed each subsequent semester with notification from the Associate Dean to Computing. However, if there is a semester break in your employment, the account will be closed, and you must submit a new form to open a new account. Mail and telephone messages may be forwarded to the suite secretary and office suite to which you are assigned. Check with the suite secretary for telephone and post office box numbers to be used. You also will have a faculty liaison appointed with whom you can discuss any academic concerns such as syllabus preparation, course content, and grading standards.

Access/Key Requests

Access Cards and Key Requests for assigned offices can be requested by emailing

ID Card

The Office of Human Resources issues your photo ID card. You will need to obtain this ID card as soon as possible. The ID card serves as your library card.


Parking regulations require that all employees display a parking permit on their automobile. Permits are transferable to any vehicle you operate and park on campus. Adjuncts receive a reduced rate on parking. Information on parking rates and other parking FAQs can be found at the Parking and Transportation's Frequently Asked Questions webpage. To purchase a student, faculty, or staff permit, visit the UHCL Parking Services Portal. Guest passes may be purchased at kiosks located throughout campus. For more information, contact the Parking Department at 281-283-2277 or

Crisis Assistance

CARE Team Information: Are you urgently concerned about a currently enrolled UHCL student? Please consider making a report to the Crisis Awareness Response Emergency (CARE) Team for students with behavioral issues or other problems that are interfering with student success and functioning. Referrals are made to the Dean of Students Office so a CARE Team representative can contact the student and make necessary referrals:

CARE Concern Report: 281-283-2273
Dean of Students Office: 281-283-2567

University Police

The University Police Department, located at 700 Bayou Road, is responsible for law enforcement, security, and emergency response. The UHCL Police serve the university community and visitors alike through law enforcement, crime prevention, traffic control and public assistance programs. The department enforces all university regulations as well as local and state laws. Police and security services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Trained, professional police and communications officers staff the department. Services provided by the University Police include lock shop services, including the issuance of codes and keys, vehicle unlocks, vehicle jumpstarts, airing deflated tires and safety escorts to your vehicle. To report a crime or emergency, call the University Police Department at 281-283-2222 from off-campus telephones or 2222 from on-campus telephones.
For special announcements, emergency closing and other information, call the UHCL Information Hotline at 281-283-2221. For complete overview of services, visit the University Police Department.

Safety and Emergency Responsibilities

Each employee has the responsibility to prevent accidents and injuries by observing established operating rules. No employment or research objective is so important that it will be pursued at the expense of safety, as outlined in UH System Administrative Memorandum 01.C.07. Employees are expected to report potentially unsafe conditions to the Environmental, Health and Safety Office.

All accidents and near misses must be reported as well. Accidents should be reported on the Workers Compensation First Report of Injury Form and submitted within 24-hours to HR and the Emergency Management and Fire Safety Department at

During an evacuation, adjunct faculty should be prepared to assist or to organize assistance for students needing special help. Instructors and their students are expected to respond to fire alarms by vacating the building via the closest stairwell and continue to the nearest parking lot. Fire alarms should always be treated as a fire and not a drill, as the inconvenience could cost minutes of time rather than the potential loss of life. Laboratory faculty members are responsible for ensuring the safety of students in the laboratory. The University and laboratory faculty have legal obligations to provide general and specific safety training, provide and enforce safety procedures, and enforce wearing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Failure to provide hazards and emergency information, adequately train, and provide a safe environment for students can result in civil and/or criminal charges for the University and/or individual faculty member(s).

3. Class Preparation and Responsibilities

All classes meet as scheduled. Instructors should begin and end classes at the designated time to provide students with the required number of hours of instruction. Instructors should utilize the entire class period. Official holidays are published in the schedule of classes for each semester. Instructors are expected to respond to fire drills along with their students by vacating the building via the closest stairwell and continuing to the nearest parking lot.

Teaching Assignments

Teaching assignments are made by the faculty chair or associate dean and are specified in a contractual letter.

Textbook Selection Process

Adjunct faculty should check with the academic program administrator concerning the textbook selection process for the assigned course. It is common practice, in multiple section courses, for all adjunct faculty members to use the same textbook. In this case, it is likely that the textbook you use has already been selected. Your academic program administrator can give you relevant course information and help you in processing book order forms for the University Bookstore. The bookstore does not supply desk copies of textbooks.

Desk copies can be obtained from the academic program administration. Book orders should be processed through the Associate Dean's or division chair's office. Please do not directly contact the University Bookstore.


The University of Houston-Clear Lake strictly adheres to US copyright law. Adjunct faculty who wish to assemble materials to be distributed to classes and have them copied and sold in the University Bookstore must obtain a Print Request form either from the Associate Dean's or Division Chair's office or from the University Bookstore. Permission to publish copyright clearances must be obtained by the instructor and submitted with the form or by the University Bookstore. All Print Request forms must be signed by the Associate Dean of the appropriate College.

Classroom Assignments

Classrooms are assigned during the scheduling process. Should your classroom be inappropriate for the course you are instructing, contact the Associate Dean in the College in which you are teaching.

Course Syllabus

(Also, see College section below)

A syllabus clarifies the structure, organization, and content of the course. A copy of the syllabus should be distributed to each student during the first- or second-class period and available online in the learning management system. Colleges require that a copy also be sent to the Associate Dean and may require that the syllabus be submitted for review and approval prior to distribution.

Instructors should state their class policies clearly and completely. Any revisions to the syllabus should be reissued in written form or prominently posted in the Learning Management System.

If you need assistance in writing a syllabus, you should contact your College administrators.

The syllabus should include, at a minimum, the following information:

  • Course Number and Title
  • Instructor Name
  • Office Location
  • Office Hours
  • Telephone Number
  • E-Mail Address
  • Semester, Year, Days, Time, and Meeting Place
  • Prerequisites (as stated in the Catalog)
  • Textbook and other necessary materials
  • Course description
  • Learning Objectives and Learning Outcomes -- what you expect the students to achieve by course completion. Please formulate these as student learning objectives and not a list of course topics. Objectives should tie into evaluation.
  • Course Format - methodologies by which the course is taught, such as discussion, role playing, lecture, simulation, group work, etc.
  • Method of Evaluation--criteria for determining student grades; number of exams, written papers, oral presentations, etc. and the weights assigned to each; final grade determination.
  • Schedule of assignments for each class period during the semester - it is advisable to indicate that the schedule is subject to change.
  • Course policies including attendance); incomplete; missed or late assignment; makeup exams and other relevant policies.
  • Student Academic Adjustment Statement: "The University of Houston System complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, pertaining to the provision of accordance with Section 504 and ADA guidelines, each University within the System strive to provide reasonable academic adjustments/auxiliary aids to students who request and require them. If you believe that you have a disability requiring an academic adjustments/auxiliary aid, please contact your University’s student disability services center 281-283-2648".
  • Six drop rule. In Texas, Students are not allowed to drop more than six classes after the "Census Date" from initial registration. Undergraduate students who start as a first time undergraduate at any Texas public community college, four-year college, or university in the fall of 2007 or later, cannot drop more than six courses during their entire Texas college career.
  • Academic Honesty Code

Faculty Availability

Faculty members should make themselves available to students outside of class hours for academic consultation. Faculty may choose to be available through office hours or alternative engagement opportunities for at least one hour per week for each three hours of credit hours taught. Faculty should respond to student communications in a timely manner and make response time expectations clear in their syllabus. Faculty availability should be posted in the faculty suite and announced to students on appropriate platforms (course syllabi and online learning management system).

The Honesty Code

Academic honesty is the cornerstone of the academic integrity of the university. It is the foundation upon which the student builds personal integrity and establishes a standard of personal behavior.

Because honesty and integrity are such important factors in the professional community, you should be aware that failure to perform within the bounds of these ethical standards is sufficient grounds to receive a grade of "F" in the course and be recommended for suspension from UHCL.

The Honesty Code of UHCL states "I will be honest in all my academic activities and will not tolerate dishonesty."

Academic Honesty Policy

The Academic Honesty Policy and its procedures must govern all alleged violations. The complete policy and procedures can be found online and in the Student Life Policies Handbook and the Faculty Handbook.

Adjunct faculty members are expected to adhere to the same standard of conduct as full-time faculty. After becoming familiar with the policy, adjunct faculty should direct further questions to the Associate Dean of their respective College.

Students' Attendance

Regular class attendance is expected of all students. What constitutes an acceptable rate of class attendance is a matter between students and their instructors, although the university expects instructors to maintain reasonable standards.


Grading Policy (Approved by University Council 5/14/2015).

Only the course instructor may assign a grade for a student.

Grade Changes: Grade changes are allowed for only one of the following three reasons:

a)  Removal of an incomplete grade
b)  Result of a grade appeal or hearing
c)  Correction of instructor error

Other than removing an incomplete grade, grades will not be changed on the basis of extra work submitted after final grades are assigned.

Grade changes may be made by the instructor or the appropriate Associate Dean in the absence of the instructor. After one long semester, a grade change submitted by an instructor must be approved by the Associate Dean of the College in which the course is located. Grade changes must be completed within one year after the initial grade is posted.

The grading system and descriptions of letter grades are also available in the UHCL Catalogs. Grade changes resulting from the completion of In Progress ("IP") or Incomplete ("I") work may only be initiated by the instructor of record or the Associate Dean.

The preferred method of changing a grade is from the Faculty Center in E-Services. This ensures a quick and timely update to the student's record. However, Grade Change Forms are available from the Associate Deans' Offices and the Office of the Registrar. When the form is processed, the Registrar's staff will compare the instructor's signature on the form to their signature on file. If the signatures match, the grade is changed on the student's permanent record electronically and thereby noted on the grade roster. The student and faculty member are notified once a grade change has occurred.


The University grading system uses 16 marks to record the performance of students in courses. Letter grades of A, B, C, D, and F with marks of plus or minus are acceptable. Exceptions are the grades of A+, F+ and F-, which are not valid. These marks are used in grade reports and transcripts and are further defined in the Catalogs.

Grade distribution reports are available in the associate dean's office so that faculty may compare their grading standards with those of other instructors or those teaching the same course.

Definition of Letter Grades (Undergraduate)

Performance in the range of "A" represents exceptional scholarship and intellectual initiative in accomplishing course goals and objectives.

Performance in the range of "B" represents solid or significant achievement in accomplishing course goals and objectives.

Performance in the range of "C" represents average or satisfactory achievement in accomplishing course goals and objectives.

Performance in the range of "D" represents the minimally acceptable performance in accomplishing course goals and objectives.

An "F" performance represents unsatisfactory or below minimally acceptable achievement in accomplishing course goals and objectives.

Grades of "+" or "-" are refinements of the letter grades, represent grade point variations and may be used at the discretion of the instructor.

Definition of Letter Grades (Graduate)

Performance in the range of "A" represents exceptional scholarship and intellectual initiative in accomplishing graduate level course goals and objectives.

Performance in the range of "B" represents competent achievement in accomplishing graduate level course goals and objectives.

Performance in the range of "C" represents minimally acceptable performance in accomplishing graduate level course goals and objective.

A "D" or "F" performance represents unsatisfactory or below minimally acceptable performance in accomplishing graduate level course goals and objectives.

Grades of "+" or "-" are refinements of the letter grades described above and represent grade point variations and may be used at the discretion of the instructor.

Grading Procedures

For more information, see the Faculty Handbook. These procedures are also available in the UHCL Catalogs.

Class Roster

Class rosters are available via E-services in the Faculty Center. The first day class roster is available on the first day of class. It contains the name of each student officially registered in the class. Students not listed on the roster should be referred to the Office of the Registrar immediately to resolve their schedule discrepancy problem.

Grade Rosters

Grade Rosters constitute the official record of grades reported by instructors for all students officially enrolled at the University. Semester Grade Rosters are produced electronically by the Office of the Registrar and are made available online for a specified period of time before the grading deadline. This window of opportunity varies. The approximate time for spring is 3 weeks, for summer 9 days, and for fall 2 weeks. Only faculty who are the official instructor of record will be allowed to enter grades online. Once grades are entered and saved, print out a copy of that roster online for future reference and confirmation of grades. An online grading document will be provided by the Office of the Registrar when grade rosters are made available online. The document includes the dates for online grading availability and contact information for assistance with grading issues or questions. Those dates will be announced mid-semester by the Office of the Registrar.

The deadline for submission of Semester Grade Rosters is on the published date. Grades of No Grade ("NG") are assigned to students when Grade Rosters are missing or late. Once a "NG" is assigned, the instructor must complete a Grade Change Form for each student on the Grade Roster. Students who receive an NG may not be eligible for the Dean’s List or Graduating with Honors. In addition, decisions regarding suspension/probation and graduation may be affected if Grade Rosters are not submitted in a timely manner. It is imperative that all Grade Rosters be entered online prior to the deadline date. Valid grades are noted on the grade roster. Effective Fall 1990, the university adopted the use of plus/minus with letter grades. Only the grades indicated on the roster are acceptable. Input of invalid grades will result in an error and the inability to save the roster's grades. If a student has officially dropped or withdrawn from the class, a grade of WQ or WX will already have been recorded on the Grade Roster. A grade of WX cannot be assigned by the instructor to a student who has not officially withdrawn.

Completing the Grade Roster

The Grade Roster is available via the Faculty Center in E-services by the official instructor of record. The Online Grading Documentation will be provided by the Office of the Registrar each semester. The input of grades period and grading deadlines will be published in the Online Grading Documentation and will be strictly adhered to.

Grades of In Progress ("IP") are only valid for Master's Thesis, Project, Dissertation, Residency, and Internship classes that are still in progress. Grades of Incomplete ("I") are given only under special circumstances within the framework of an agreement worked out between the student and the instructor. The Incomplete Grade Contract must then be submitted to the Associate Dean's office of your College. Faculty should review the grades they submitted. Grades can be reviewed from the Faculty Center in E-Services. If discrepancies are found, the faculty member should notify the Office of the Registrar immediately.

Interim Grade Reports

To help undergraduate students monitor their academic performance, faculty members teaching 1000 and 2000 level courses will provide six-week progress grades for students with unsatisfactory performance. Six-week progress grades are provided in fall and spring semesters only. Interim grades are advisory grades and are not recorded on the student’s permanent record.

Procedures for Entering Interim Grades

Faculty will report grades of "D" or "F" through E-Services. Interim grade rosters for 1000 and 2000level courses will be available starting the Monday of the sixth week of class through Tuesday of the seventh week of class. The Office of the Registrar will notify faculty of the availability of interim grade rosters and the reporting deadlines each spring and fall semester. Students will be able to view interim grades in E-Services once the faculty deadline to enter grades has passed. Interim grade reports will be provided to academic advisers who will contact students experiencing difficulties.

Incomplete Grades

A grade of Incomplete ("I") may be given at the discretion of the instructor to students who are making satisfactory progress in a course. Incomplete grades are typically given for emergency situations which occur after the withdrawal date but prior to the end of the semester, and which prevent the student from completing course requirements. When assigning the grade of "I," instructors provide students with an Incomplete Grade Contract which outlines the work to be accomplished before the "I" can be converted to a final grade and specifies a deadline date; this contract constitutes an agreement between instructors and students. A grade of "I" must be resolved within the time limit set by instructors; however, such limits may not be extended beyond the last day of classes of the next long semester following the semester in which the "I" was assigned. Failure to resolve an "I" will result in its conversion to a final grade of "F" on students' permanent records. An "I" can be converted to a final grade only. A notation regarding a grade changed from an incomplete will appear on the student's transcript. Students should not re-register for a course to complete a grade of "I." If any portion of the course must be repeated, students must sign up as an auditor for the course and pay appropriate fees. The Incomplete Grade Contract must be submitted to the Associate Dean's Office of their College.

Students on academic probation, who have outstanding "I" grades, will remain on probation until all incomplete grades are resolved. "I" grades are not calculated in the GPA. An "I" which has been changed to a grade or has been converted to an "F" will be recorded and academic action taken during the semester of the grade change.

Auditing Courses

Students may audit courses if they meet the admission requirements of the University and have the permission of the course instructor. Application forms to audit a course may be obtained from the appropriate Dean's office. Registration to audit a course is on a space-available basis. Only after all registration for a Semester has been completed, and after determination is made that space is still available, will individuals be assigned to particular courses for auditing purposes.

Students who audit a course are eligible to attend class only. Auditing does not include any further participation in class and does not provide a grade for the course. No official registration at the University is noted on the student's record; the student is not on the official class roll; and the student will not appear on the Semester Grade Roster. Auditors, except for senior citizens, pay regular tuition and fees.

Withdrawal From a Course

The University has policies governing voluntary withdrawal, administrative withdrawal, and the assigning of the withdrawal mark. These policies can be found in more detail in the General Program Requirements section of the Catalogs. Students who drop a class or withdraw from all classes after the semester census date of the semester or session, but no later than the withdrawal deadline as stated in the Academic Calendar, will receive one of the following grades: "WQ" (Student-initiated drop, No Evaluation) or "WX" (Administrative Drop or Withdrawal, No Evaluation). These grades imply no evaluation of students' performance prior to the withdrawal. Students who do not withdraw prior to the deadline will be given a final grade by the instructor based on performance.

Instructor Absence From Class

The University expects each class to meet as scheduled. If an instructor needs to be absent, the Associate Dean's office should be contacted. This contact should be made in a timely manner in order to facilitate making alternative arrangements for the instruction of the class and to notify students. Regular class attendance is expected of all students. What constitutes an acceptable rate of class attendance is a matter between students and their instructors, although the university expects instructors to maintain reasonable standards. If you wish to know if the University has been closed due to bad weather, please contact the University Hot Line (281-283-2221).

Policy on Release of Student Records (FERPA)

UHCL is committed to upholding the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) which is a federal law stating (a) that a written institutional policy must be established and (b) that a statement of adopted procedures covering the privacy rights of students be made available.

The law provides that institutions will maintain the confidentiality of student education records. The complete policy can be found online in the Student Life Policy Handbook and in the online Faculty Handbook.

Policy on Student Travel

Travel Policy

This document outlines the policy to minimize risks of liability connected with travel by students of component universities. This policy applies to travel in excess of 25 miles that is undertaken by one or more students presently enrolled in a component university that is organized and sponsored by the component university and that is travel funded by the institution and using vehicles owned or leased by the institution or travel required by a student organization registered at the institution.

Faculty must file the appropriate paperwork in the Travel Office, the Office of Risk Management, and the Dean of Students. The complete policy and procedures can be found online in the Student Life Policies Handbook.

4. Academic Support Services and Teaching Resources

Accessibility Support Center

The goal of the Accessibility Support Center is to provide full participation and a fully integrated university experience to all members of the campus community. The Accessibility Support Center actively addresses and promotes disability awareness within the UHCL campus community through programs and services designed to meet the academic and professional needs of individuals with disabilities. Services include accommodations, alternative testing, assistive technologies, scholarships, and advocacy. To be eligible for services, a student must submit the online application form, speak with a staff member about their disability, and provide appropriate documentation which validates their request. Prior to the beginning of the semester, students should contact the Accessibility Support Center to request their accommodations so they can be provided in a timely manner. Any faculty needing help in requesting accommodations for a student with a disability may consult with the Accessibility Support Center. The Accessibility Support Center is located in SSCB 1302, Telephone: 281-283-2648.

Student Success Center

The Student Success Center located in SSCB 3102, is a comprehensive academic resource for the UHCL student community, which includes peer tutoring, course embedded tutoring, and academic coaching. The focus of the center and its services is to help students enhance their academic skills for a particular course. Moreover, the Center helps students more effectively manage information by using experience and guided practice exercises designed to build confidence and competence in the classrooms.

The Student Success Center works cooperatively across the university (i.e., in conjunction with the Writing Center, Academic Advising, Accessibility Support Services, Career Services, Counseling Services, academic departments, students, faculty and staff) in an effort to maintain a strong consortium of resources aimed at increasing student success, retention and persistence. The Center is open and free of charge to all UHCL students. For more information, contact the Student Success Center at 281-283-2620 or

Alfred R. Neumann Library

UHCL's Alfred R. Neumann Library, named after the university's founding chancellor, provides students with online access to thousands of books, journals, and scholarly resources. UHCL librarians offer personal research assistance to students via online chat or face-to-face at the library reference desk and tips on navigating search interfaces, retrieving information and evaluating information for use in scholarly research. Visitors can receive help formulating effective search queries, becoming familiar with controlled vocabulary searching and identifying the best online resources out of a collection of more than 100 subscription-only databases - most with full-text articles. Classes are available in research procedures tailored to particular courses. Students may also make appointments with librarians in a comfortable one-on-one environment to explore more in- depth instruction on library research strategies.

UHCL students, faculty, and staff may also borrow books from UH and UH-Downtown quickly and easily through the shared catalog. The Texshare card, available upon request in Neumann Library, allows a UHCL student to go to any academic or public library in Texas and check out a book, which can then be returned to Neumann Library. The library's interlibrary loan service will borrow requested materials from any library in the country through a national interlibrary loan network. Neumann Library offers 43 fixed computer workstations and for student use.

The library occupies approximately 80,000 square feet in the Bayou Building and contains collaborative study spaces, lap-top friendly study spaces, and a soundproof quiet study room. The library houses more than 510,000 volumes, and 315 ebooks, and provides access to 78,600 electronic periodicals. The library has a collection of international films on DVD and subscribes to several educational video databases which offer up to 38,000 streaming videos. A curriculum library for education students contains K-12 textbooks, classic children's literature, and a review center for recent children's literature. Neumann Library also includes university archives, which houses the NASA Johnson Space Center History Collection in addition to the university collections.

Information Technology

The Office of Information Technology (OIT) Support Center serves as the first point of contact for all computing and telecommunications needs. The Support Center is located in Suite 2300 of the Bayou Building. Contact the Center by phone at 281-283-2828 or email at Visit OIT website for operating hours and available services, including documentation, self-help guides, and policies.

Computing and telecommunications resources available to students, faculty, and staff include:

  • Email accounts
  • Various Technology orientations and training programs, including online software training, student lab orientation, new student, faculty, and staff orientations, computer use training, faculty orientation for classroom technology, and learning management system training for faculty.
  • Up-to-date computing hardware and software, including industry-recognized applications to block spam and intercept virus attacks on all university-owned computers.
  • Media equipment for classroom and student activities. Multimedia classrooms with various levels of technology are available in all classroom buildings.
  • Wireless-equipped laptops may be checked out for free from several convenient locations on campus.
  • Academic computing labs in multiple locations open daily including weekends. Printers and photo/document scanners are available in all labs. Lab hours, locations, and available software can be found at Office of Information Technology's Labs webpage.
  • Specialized teaching labs, including labs for students to work in teams, a high-performance lab for special graphic applications, and a lab equipped with large screen displays for video editing/creating, digital graphics, and photography classes.
  • University classrooms equipped with integrated video and audio technology.
  • Support for faculty and students using the learning management system.
  • Support for faculty in instructional design of online courses as well as for web- enhanced instruction.
  • Content management system, utilized for the creation, maintenance, and security of the University's web presence.
  • Public and secure private wireless access in and around all campus classroom buildings.
  • High-speed network for data, video, and Internet access.
  • Secure remote access to campus resources via Virtual Private Network (VPN).
  • Strong commitment to software engineering and relational database technology.
  • Siemen's telecommunications system for voice communications, including voicemail and fax service for faculty and staff.

5. Student Resources

Student Financial Aid

Students may seek financial assistance in the form of loans, grants, scholarships, and part- time employment through the Office of Student Financial Aid. Financial aid is predicated on demonstrated need as determined by federal and state regulations and is available to those who qualify and meet the requirements as long as funds are available. Students eligible to receive Veterans' education benefits should also contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Students will be notified regarding missing information, awards offered, etc. via their UHCL email. Students should check their UHCL email accounts regularly to receive information from the Office of Student Financial Aid, as well as other university offices. The Office of Financial Aid is located in SSCB 1105,, 281-283-2480.

Student Affairs

The Division of Student Affairs offers support services for students, enhances student learning, and promotes student engagement in social, cultural, recreational and governance programs. The quality of student and campus life outside the classroom is an important aspect of the total collegiate experience.

The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) provides support and leadership for the departments of: Campus Recreation and Wellness, Career Services, Center for Student Advocacy and Community, Counseling and Mental Health Center, Dean of Students, Health Services, Military and Veteran Services, Orientation and New Student Programs, Student Housing and Residence Life, Student Involvement and Leadership, and Student Publications.

The Office of the VPSA provides students with advocacy, information, and assistance in all phases of campus life. The VPSA is responsible for interpreting and implementing student life policies, leading student involvement and engagement efforts, and providing health and wellness resources and services. The rights and responsibilities of students are published in the Student Life Policy Handbook. Standards of student conduct are enforced to ensure the safety of individuals, protection of property, and the continuity of the educational process. The Office of VPSA is located in B2523; 281-283-3025.

Counseling and Mental Health Center

The Counseling and Mental Health Center (CMHC) is here to support students along their academic journey. CMHC offers a variety of services – most are free of charge – to currently enrolled students, including individual, couples, and group therapy, psychiatry services, self-directed services and workshops designed to offer support, psychoeducation, and coping strategies. CMHC staff are also available to conduct workshops and class sessions on issues related to mental health. All faculty and staff are eligible for a consultation session and referral for continued services. All services are strictly confidential. UHCL CMHC is located in SSCB 3103 and can be reached at (281) 283-2580.

Career Services

Career Services provides career counseling to students who are undecided, changing, or choosing a major. Career testing to assess interests, values, and strengths is available to all students without charge. In addition, Career Services offers job search assistance, mock interviews and resume critiques, resume referrals, online job listings, on campus interviewing, cooperative education, and online job listings and multiple job fairs and networking events. The professional career staff are available to conduct classroom presentations on topics relevant to career development. Faculty who wish to request a classroom presentation or students who wish to make an appointment with the career staff can contact the office at 281-283-2590 or by email at

Dean of Students

The Dean of Students Office (DOS) serves as the "Central Hub" of campus for all student related issues. Office responsibilities include serving as an advocate and liaison for students, as well as assisting faculty, staff, and parents. DOS also is responsible for encouraging civility in all aspects of campus life and facilitates the student conduct and academic honesty policies and behavioral expectations. The primary services directed by the Dean of Students include academic integrity, student conduct, foster care alumni support, parenting student support, emergency assistance resources, and CARE Team. Dean of Students Office: 281-283-2567

Care Team

From time to time, faculty may become aware of a student's personal struggles such as emotional distress, homelessness, food insecurities, financial struggles, etc.. Students can be referred to several areas but a good place to start is with the Dean of Students Office.

Students sometimes will share personal information about themselves or classmates. This can happen during lecture/classroom time, on-line group chats, through homework, assignments, or in the hallway and faculty office hours. Depending on the information shared, you may develop concerns regarding their safety or emotional wellbeing. The DOS facilitates the C.A.R.E. Team (Crisis Awareness Response Emergency Team). Faculty can call the DOS for consultation and/or submit the CARE Reporting form which will bring the student to the CARE Team's awareness. CARE Concern Report: 281-283-2273; Dean of Students Office: 281-283-2567

Center for Student Advocacy and Community

Through educational opportunities, advocacy, and community building, the Center for Student Advocacy & Community (CSAC) supports the personal and professional development of UHCL students navigating the college experience. CSAC completes this mission via two branches of the center: Advocacy Services and Community Engagement. Advocacy services include Student Advocacy Workshops, facilitation of Hawk Pantry and Houston Food Bank’s Mobile Market Trailer, Notary Services, and administration of the Basic Needs Grant. The Community Engagement branch is responsible for First-Gen student support services, UHCL Community/Cultural Gatherings and Community Excursions. For more information, please email CSAC at, visit the CSAC website, or call 281-283-2575.

Student Health Services

The Health Services Department provides students with health assessments and counseling based on their specific health needs. The clinic offers Registered Nurse coverage during operation hours. The clinic has Internal Medicine/ Nurse Practitioner Clinics by appointment. Our services provide and encourage prevention of illness and promotion of health and wellness. Prevention programs include blood tests, screenings, and health education on various medical issues. We also provide laboratory services and vaccine administration by appointment. The Health Services Department is the champion for physical and mental wellness, thus allowing students to meet their academic goals. Health Services is located in SSCB 1.301; Phone: 281-283-2626; fax: 281-283-2624; email:

Military and Veteran Services

The Capt. Wendell M. Wilson Office of Military and Veteran Services provides students with essential support, guidance, educational resources, and career advice. The Office of Military and Veteran Services can also aid with securing VA benefits and taking advantage of all they can provide students. Our commitment lies in cultivating a campus environment that is welcoming and supportive for all veterans and their families. Our goal is to ensure students achieve their educational goals, while they transition back into civilian life. If you have questions, contact 281-283-3071,, or visit us in SSCB 3.201.

Orientation and New Student Programs

Orientation and New Student Programs (ONSP) is dedicated to ensuring all new incoming students and guests feel welcomed and supported through their mandatory orientation experience and new student programs. ONSP’s programs emphasize key academic support, faculty engagement, developing hawk pride, ongoing transition support, personal growth, and community building. For more information, please email ONSP at, visit Orientation and New Student Programs, or give us a call at (281) 283-2420.

Recreation and Wellness Center

The Recreation and Wellness Center (RWC) is the perfect environment for developing healthy habits and a stronger connection with the UHCL community. Affordable membership options are available for faculty and staff and include an option to add a partner or dependent at the same rate. Facility amenities include: 82,000 sq. ft of Fitness Space with a variety of strength and cardio equipment, an indoor walking/running track, 3 multi-sport indoor courts for basketball, volleyball, pickleball, badminton, and indoor soccer. Membership also includes access to our exciting programs such as Group Fitness Classes, Intramural Sports, and family friendly special events throughout the year. Add-on services such as locker rental, towel service, personal training packages, and nutritional counseling are available for an additional fee. 

Office of Student Involvement and Leadership

The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership enriches the educational experience of all UHCL students by fostering open exploration and engagement with the campus community. Further, we are committed to supporting students in discovering belonging and connection through active involvement in student organizations and leadership development programs, servant leadership initiatives, and civic engagement opportunities; all of which support the academic mission of cultivating intellectually advanced, global-minded agents of change. For any inquiries or additional information, please reach out to our office via email at or via phone at 281-283-2560.

Student Publications

The Office of Student Publications exists to inform, educate, and engage the University of Houston- Clear Lake community through student-produced publications. Student journalists in Student Publications are responsible for all aspects of production for these publications including selection of assignments to be covered, writing articles, copy editing, content creation, photography, shooting and editing videos, designing graphics and layouts, selling and creating advertisements, and promoting content via social media and various communication channels.

The Signal newspaper is a digital newspaper published through the joint efforts of paid and volunteer student journalists as well as student, staff, alumni, and faculty contributors across the campus community. It is published year-round to provide news, features, entertainment, and opinion pieces concerning University events and issues impacting the UHCL community. The Signal serves as a public forum and encourages students, staff, alumni, and faculty to submit articles, essays, visuals, story ideas, and comments. The Signal can be read online and submission guidelines are available. The Signal can be found on social media as @uhclthesignal.

Student Housing

Hunter Hall offers UHCL students a safe and affordable, suite-style on-campus housing experience with their peers. Located directly next to classes and student resources in the heart of campus, with a variety of engaging programs and room layout options, Hunter Hall serves as the home away from home for UHCL Hawks. Students living in Hunter Hall enjoy many convenient and comfortable amenities such as a community kitchen, all-inclusive utilities (with free laundry), a pocket food pantry, study lounges and spaces, on-site mail and packages, and 24/7 student and professional staff support. In the summer, we provide excellent guest housing accommodations for local/on-campus camps, interns, and visiting scholars.

For student/guest housing information and/or to report a housing issue, please contact us at: (281) 283- 2615 or, or visit our Student Housing website

The University Forest Apartments (UFA) is independently managed by Campus Living Villages and located on the UHCL campus. UFA accommodates a community of over 200 students and offers apartment-style living with various private or semi-private floor plans. Each apartment has a spacious living area with fully open concept kitchens with appliances. Residents also have access to all on-site amenities such as a pool and spa, sand volleyball court, study rooms, coffee bar, BBQ pavilion, monthly social events, all within a gated community.

For leasing information for University Forest Apartments, please contact UFA at: (281) 915-1803 or, or visit UFA's website.

6. University and System Policies

ADA Policy

The University of Houston System Student Academic Accommodations Policy establishes guidelines for ensuring compliance with the American with Disabilities Act. The complete policy can be found online on the University of Houston System Policies website. The Director of Accessibility Support in the Accessibility Support Center assists faculty in implementing this policy. 

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Policy

The University is committed to enforcing the provisions of the Drug Free Workplace of Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Colleges and Communities Act of 1989 and believes these acts and their regulations provide a proper framework for the drug and alcohol abuse policies of the university. It is the policy of the university that illicit drug use, including the manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use, is prohibited in the workplace, on the campus, or as part of any university activities. The complete policy can be found online on the Administrative Policies and Procedures webpage.

Anti-Discrimination Policy

The University of Houston System prohibits discrimination based on membership in a protected class. The complete policy, which includes processes for addressing allegations of illegal discrimination by employees and students, can be found online on the University of Houston System Policies website.

Sexual Misconduct Policy

UHCL is committed to providing a professional working and learning environment free from sexual assault and to providing training to educate the staff, faculty, and students about sexual assault. The University of Houston System Sexual Misconduct Policy outlines the definitions of sexual assault, procedures for filing complaints, and campus and community resources. The complete policy can be found online on the University of Houston System Policies website. UHCL Title IX resources can be found on the Office of Title IX and Equal Opportunity Services webpage.

Use of University Facilities Policy

UHCL will endeavor to provide facilities for groups and/or organizations on a space available, first- come, first-serve basis. In order to provide facilities, a completed Facility Request form must be filed with the Office of Scheduling and Space Planning (OSSP) stating the date(s), duration, type of room(s), and number(s) of persons involved, as well as the official name of the organization or composition of the group and the purpose of the meeting (s) to be held in university facilities. The complete policy and procedures can be found online on the Administrative Policies and Procedures webpage.

7. College-Specific Information

College of Business - Adjunct Policies

Course Syllabus Preparation Guidelines

In order to be in compliance with various accrediting bodies' accreditation guidelines and various UHCL academic policies and guidelines, the following components should be present on all syllabi:

Course number and title; Instructor; Semester; Instructor's weekly office hours and/or e-mail address; prerequisites (as stated in the UHCL Catalog); required materials: textbook and other necessary materials; objectives and learning outcomes-what the instructor expects the students to achieve by course completion; course format-methodologies by which the course is taught such as discussion, lecture, role-playing, simulation; method of evaluation-criteria for determining student grades; number of examinations; written papers; oral presentations; and the weights assigned to each; final grade determination.

Academic honesty policy Suggested Statement: The Academic Honesty Policy at UHCL (found in the University of Houston-Clear Lake Catalog) states:

“Academic honesty is the cornerstone of the academic integrity of the university. It is the foundation upon which the student builds personal integrity and establishes a standard of personal behavior. Because honesty and integrity are such important factors in the professional community, you should be aware that failure to perform within the bounds of these ethical standards is sufficient grounds to receive a grade of "F" in this course and be recommended for suspension from UHCL. The Honesty Code of UHCL states "I will be honest in all my academic activities and will not tolerate dishonesty."

Student Academic Adjustment Statement:
The University of Houston System complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, pertaining to the provision of reasonable academic adjustments/auxiliary aids for students with a disability. In accordance with Section 504 and ADA guidelines, each University within the System strives to provide reasonable academic adjustments/auxiliary aids to students who request and require them. If you believe that you have a disability requiring an academic adjustments/auxiliary aid, please contact your University’s student disability services center at (281) 283-2167.

Last day to withdraw from course (this is a university prescribed date and can be found in the semester schedule). Attendance policy (if there is one that impacts student grade) and any other relevant policies Differential expectations for graduate students (if class is cross-listed graduate/undergraduate) Schedule of specific assignments for each class period during the semester. Check with your program coordinator for the appropriate details that need to be included in this section. Outside accrediting agencies review course syllabi and a determination of course, program, College and their view of university quality is influenced by the actual syllabi distributed to students.

College of Education - Adjunct Policies

Primary Source of Information and Assistance:

Department of Counseling, Special Education and Diversity
Suite 1325, Bayou Building, 281-283-3580
Courses in COUN (counseling), SPED (special education) and SILC (multicultural education and ESL/bilingual education)

Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Suite 1119, Bayou Building, 281-283-3540
Courses in ECED (early childhood education), TCED (elementary and secondary education) and EDCI (doctoral program)

Department of Leadership and Policy Analysis
Suite 1111, Bayou Building, 281-283-3521
Courses in ADSU (principal and superintendent), EDUC (educational foundations) and EDLS (doctoral program)

Department of Literacy, Library and Learning Technologies
Suite 3203, Student Services Building, 281-283-3554
Courses in INST (instructional design and technology) and LLLS (reading and school library and information science)

Additional Sources of Information and Assistance Office of Academic Advising
Suite 1231, Bayou Building, 281-283-3615

Office of Educator Certification
Suite 1231, Bayou Building, 281-283-3618

The Center for Professional Development of Teachers Suite 1231, Bayou Building, 281-283- 3612

Office of the Dean
Suite 1237, Bayou Building, 281-283-3501

Office of the Associate Dean
Suite 1231, Bayou Building, 281-283-3620

Course Syllabus Guidelines

In order to be in compliance with UHCL policies and the accreditation agencies requirements, all syllabi must comply with the checklist sent out at the start of each semester and submitted by the due date.

Each semester the College of Education holds an orientation session for new and returning adjuncts to outline the College’s policies and procedures and to answer questions pertaining to the courses they teach. In addition, adjunct faculty are invited to attend college and program meetings and to provide input on curriculum development and academic policy.

Professional Disposition Assessment Forms

These forms must be completed for all students. Forms are online and must be made accessible to students.

Technology Forms

On the Unit Assessment System click the Manage Course Technology button and describe the technology you and your students will be using on your course.

Texas Educator's Code of Ethics Training 

Texas Education Agency (TEA) now requires that all individuals involved in preparing educator candidates and the candidates themselves, must annually be formally trained in and adhere to the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics. You can access the training on our website at Texas Educators Code of Ethics Training. Adjuncts receive an email about completing the training.

College of Human Sciences and Humanities- Adjunct Policies

Primary Source of Information and Assistance:

Office of the Dean, Bayou Building 1529, 281-283-3300
Office of the Associate Dean, Bayou Building 1529, 281-283-3401 – Contact regarding Academic Appeals, including Admission, Program Requirements, and Grade Appeals.

HSH Office of Advising, Bayou Building 1615, 281-283-3333
Student Advising, Class Permissions, Class Coverage, Emergencies
Department Chairs-Contact regarding Class Coverage and Emergencies
Department Chair for Clinical, Health, and Applied Sciences, Bayou Building 1508, 281-283-3324
Department Chair for Communication and Studio Arts, SSCB 2109, 281-283-3356 Department Chair for Liberal Arts, Bayou Building 2121, 281-283-3432
Department Chair for Psychology, SSCB 2109, 281-283-3303
Department Chair for Social and Cultural Sciences, Bayou Building 2121, 281-283-3413

Program Coordinator II, Bayou Building 1529, 281-283-3307 – Contact regarding Adjunct Files and Contracts, Schedule Entry and Revision, Room Changes.

HSH Business Office, Bayou 1539, 281-283-3350 – Contact regarding Payroll Issues and Other Budgetary Matters

Orientation and College Meetings

At least once each year, HSH will hold an orientation session for new and continuing faculty adjuncts to acquaint/reacquaint them with College policy and procedure. Printed information and resource packets regarding such information are available from the Office of the Associate Dean and from Department Chairs. Adjunct faculty will be invited to attend college, department, and program meetings as nonvoting members and to provide input on curriculum development and academic policy.

College of Science and Engineering– Adjunct Policies

Primary Source of Information and Assistance:

Office of the Dean, Bayou Building, Rm. 3611, 281-283-3700
Office of the Associate Dean, Bayou Building, Rm. 3611, 281-283-3700

Biological and Environmental Science Department
Department Chair in Bayou Building, Rm 3531. Secretary to the department: Phone: 281-283-3770

Physical and Applied Sciences Department
Department Chair in Bayou Building, Rm 3531 Secretary to the department: phone: 281-283-3738

Mathematics and Statistics Department Department Chair in Bayou 3521
Secretary to the department: phone: 281-283-3720

Computing Sciences Department
Department Chair in Delta Building, Rm 161 Secretary to the department: phone: 281-283-3860

Engineering Department
Department Chair in Delta Building, Rm 101 Secretary to the department: phone: 281-283-3850

Academic Advising Office
Bayou Building, Rm 3611, phone: 281-283-3711

Office Assignments:
In general, adjunct faculty members have offices in one of the suites within the department in which they are teaching. Due to space considerations, some computer science adjunct professors will conduct office hours in the conference room of the Administrative Sciences suite adjacent to the computer science suite.

Copy Service and Secretarial Support:
Secretaries in the division can assist with typing, copying, etc. A day or two of notice prior to the day the materials are needed is greatly appreciated.

Invaluable Information Classes:
If for any reason you cannot meet with your scheduled class, please arrange for a substitute lecturer or contact the suite secretary who will work with the chair to ensure the students are notified.

Teaching Assistants:
Many adjunct faculty members serve as supervisors to graduate teaching assistants. Please attend the orientation for TAs and supervising faculty held each semester. If that is not possible, a meeting with the Division chair should be arranged to discuss the matters covered during orientation.

Incoming Mail:
Inter-College mail including requests, course evaluations, and general information will be placed in your mailbox. Please check the box weekly.

Gender and Ethnicity Issues:
Expectations of instructor behavior have changed dramatically with regard to sensitivity to gender and ethnicity of students. Language and behavior that were acceptable during your educational experience may no longer be acceptable in today's classroom. Issues of sexual misconduct, gender discrimination and racial or ethnic discrimination are of great concern to the university and College administrators. We have no specific guidelines to describe what is or is not acceptable. It is requested that you consider your comments and actions from the perspective of students of gender or ethnicity different from your own. Please be sensitive to their possible perception of discrimination or harassment and avoid speech or action that may elicit these perceptions.

Retroactive Withdrawals:
Students who request retroactive withdrawals must satisfy one of the three following criteria and must provide written documentation addressed to the Associate Dean to substantiate their request:

  • Transfer due to change in employment or spouse's employment
  • Serious illness
  • Death in immediate family

If the request is granted, the student will be withdrawn from all courses for which he/she is registered during the semester in which the course in question appears. In effect, a request for a retroactive withdrawal in any class is a request for a retroactive withdrawal for the entire semester. The petition must be received no later than 14 days prior to the last class day of the semester for which the withdrawal is being requested. Please announce this to your class.

Registration Information:
Information regarding your class, including size and location, can be obtained by calling the suite secretary during the registration period. Classroom assignments are subject to change up to the last minute.

Download the Adjunct Faculty Handbook (PDF)


  • Office of the Provost

    Phone: 281-283-3000
    Fax: 281-283-3009
    Bayou Building, 2525
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 74
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Office hours:
    Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.