April 6-8, 2013
- 1st Place: Academy of Science and Technology, Team A
- 2nd Place: John Cooper School, Team A
- 3rd Place: Klein Collins High School
|Area of Study||Top Score||School, Team|
|Aquatics||78/100||Academy of Science and Technology, Team A|
|Forestry||92/100||John Cooper School, Team A|
|Soils||90/100||Academy of Science and Technology, Team B
John Cooper School, Team B
|Wildlife||94/100||John Cooper School, Team A|
|Current Issue||62/100||Academy of Science and Technology, Team C|
|Oral Presentation||191/200||Academy of Science and Technology, Team A|
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Entergy Corporation
- North American Envirothon/U.S. Forest Service
- Association of Texas Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- Gulf Coast Waste Disposal Authority
- University of Houston-Clear Lake/Environmental Institute of Houston
- Environmental Education Association of New Mexico
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 6
- Texas Association for Environmental Education
- Texas Association of Environmental Professionals
- Texas A&M Forest Service
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Harris County Soil & Water Conservation District
- Montgomery County Soil & Water Conservation District
- The following Soil & Water Conservation Districts
- Bedias Creek
- Coastal Plains
- Polk-San Jacinto
- San Patricio
- University of Texas-Pan American
- Edinburg Scenic Wetlands &World Birding Center
- Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge
- Academy of Science and Technology, The Woodlands
- John Cooper School, The Woodlands
- The Woodlands College Park High School, The Woodlands
- Klein Collins High School, Spring
- Richardson High School, Richardson
- South Grand Prairie High School, Grand Prairie
- Harlingen South High School, Harlingen
- Rio Hondo High School, Rio Hondo
- Basic rangeland and pastureland knowledge, to include: identification of state grass, plant I.D. and definitions, importance of grazing lands in Montana.
- Range Ecology Processes – definition of ecological sites (soil – plant relationships), ecological processes (energy flow, nutrient cycle, water cycle and plant succession).
- Rangeland and pastureland management – stocking rates/carrying capacity, general types of grazing systems, improvement practices (fencing and water development), wetland, riparian and upland communities
- Basic knowledge of livestock and wildlife interactions, forage preferences, forage overlap, and habitat requirements.
- Define rangeland and pastureland, percentage of state encompassed by rangeland and pastureland, importance of grazing lands.
- Identify state grasses of Montana, differentiate between plant types (grass, forb, shrub, and trees), identify parts of a grass and/or grass like species.
- Define rangeland ecological sites, understand ecological process, understanding of all definitions inclusion to all key topic areas.
- Understanding of basic rangeland and pastureland management concepts, i. e. grazing systems, stocking rates, and rangeland improvements.
- Understanding of Best Management Practices (BMPs) on rangeland and pastureland and how different communities (wetland, riparian, and upland areas) interact.
- Recognize different classes of livestock and understand their interaction with wildlife species.
- Understanding of the historical use of the land by humans, domestic livestock and wildlife and its effect on the plant community.
- Understanding the rights of the private landowner and citizens’ rights to public land.
Texas Rangeland Management & Ecology
- Rangeland Restoration
- Use of Ecology on Rangeland
- Land Management for Small Ranches in Texas
- Impacts of Land Fragmentation on Texas Agriculture and Wildlife
- Range Monitoring with Photo Points
- Texas Rangeland Monitoring: Level Three
- Texas Rangeland Monitoring: Level Two
- Biological Control
- Flexible Grazing
- Patch Burning
- In Search of Better Forage Grasses for the Southern Plains
- Grazing Mistakes - Risk Associated with Rangeland Health and Sustainability
- Habitat Management
- Rangeland Watersheds
- Pricklypear Ecology
- Invasive Plants on Texas Rangelands
- Ecosystem Blocks
- Rangeland Restoration
- Soils - South Texas
- Soils - South Texas [long version]
- Native Plant List (Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute)
- South Texas Natives (Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute)
- Texas Department of Agriculture Noxious Plant List
- Texas Invasives
- USDA PLANTS Database
- USDA Web Soil Survey