Engaged Hawks Soaring in Health and Happiness
The new, 81,709-square feet Recreation and Wellness Center opened its doors in August 2018 and features dozens of amenities for students, faculty, staff, retirees, alumni and community members. This Center is more than just a gym. It's a place where you can enhance and maintain your physical and mental health, challenge yourself and spend time with friends.
From rowing machines to fitness classes to educational workshops, the Recreation and Wellness Center is the perfect environment for self improvement and fun! Ready to get fit and stay healthy? Visit our Member Services to learn more.
The Recreation and Wellness Center Center will have adjusted hours or closures on the following days during through July and August. These closures or adjusted hours are being used to thoroughly clean the facility and for adequate staff training while the facility is not in use.
- Week of August 12-18
- Friday, August 16 - RWC closed for deep cleaning.
- Saturday, August 17 - RWC closed for Orientation and deep cleaning.
- Sunday, August 18 - RWC closed for deep cleaning.
- Week of August 19-25
- Monday, August 19 - RWC adjusted hours for RWC staff training.- RWC open from 1 -10 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 20 - RWC adjusted hours for RWC staff training.- RWC open from 1 -10 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 21 - RWC adjusted hours for RWC staff training.- RWC open from 1 -10 p.m.
- Week of August 26-September 1
- Monday, August 26 - Normal fall semester hours begin
- Thursday, August 29 - Specific space closures beginning at 10 a.m., 12 p.m. RWC closed from 2 - 4 p.m. for Welcome Back Bash. Spaces open back up for usage starting at 7:30 p.m. till 11 p.m
The University of Houston and the University of Houston-Clear Lake are excited to host the 2019 NIRSA State Facility Summit on Thursday, August 1 through Friday, August 2.
- Thursday, August 1
- 2pm-3:30pm - Tour UH Campus Recreation and Wellness Center - There will be a specific tours and discussion for Operations and Aquatic staff during this time.
- 6:30pm - Social in the Clear Lake/Webster area
- Friday, August 2
- 8am-9am – Check-in at UHCL Recreation and Wellness Center. Breakfast will be provided by Technogym.
- 9am-3:30pm – Program including tour of UHCL Recreation and Wellness Center, breakout discussions, large group discussions. Lunch will be provided by Marathon Fitness.
Registration and Cost
- There is no registration fee for the event and breakfast and lunch will be provided by our generous sponsors.
- Please complete the following form to register for the event by Monday, July 29th.
- Registration Form
There is not a specific room block, however the following hotels are affordable options close to University of Houston - Clear Lake.
- Hilton Garden Inn – Houston/Clear Lake NASA - $96-119/night
- 750 W Texas Ave, Webster, TX 77598
- (281) 332-6284
- Holiday Inn Express and Suites Houston Space - $111/night
- 900 Rogers Ct, Webster, TX 77598
- (281) 316-9750
- Hampton Inn and Suites Clear Lake NASA
- 506 Bay Area Blvd, Webster, TX 77598 - $98-117/night
- (281) 332-7952
Due to a dasher board panel breaking, the MAC Gym will be closed until further notice. A temporary replacement panel will be installed by July 12 and the court will be available once that is completed. A new permanent panel will be installed in August.
If you have any questions concerning your summer access to the Recreation and Wellness Center, please feel free to contact our Welcome Center or Member Services Desk.
Any continuing student memberships must be purchased in person so that we can ensure you are obtaining the membership that you need.
Summer operational hours begin Monday, May 20 through Sunday, August 25
- Mondays-Thursdays, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Fridays - 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Saturdays - 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Sundays - 12 - 6 p.m.
First Time to the Rec Center
All members are required to adhere to a dress code while in the Recreation and Wellness Center. Suitable and appropriate exercise clothing must be worn at all times while using the fitness amenities, including:
- Shirts must be worn at all times in all public areas.
- Upper body clothing should fully cover the chest and torso, with no open holes on the sides.
- Cropped tanks, halter tops, muscle tanks, and sports bras are not permitted as the only upper body shirt.
- Clothing that exposes skin below the pectoral line is not permitted.
- Shorts must cover the entire buttocks and groin when exercising or moving.
- Denim shorts or pants are not permitted.
- Bottoms with metal clasps, buckles or buttons or any other material that may damage equipment are not permitted.
- Non-marking, closed-toed shoes must be worn in all activity areas.
- Shoes must be worn at all times unless specified for a specific program (yoga, etc.).
- Examples of prohibited shoes include (but are not limited to) cleats, sandals, stocking feet and hard-soled shoes.
View full Recreation and Wellness Center Master Policies (pdf, 800 KB). Guests Rights and Responsibilities can be found in Item 6.
During your first visit and all subsequent visits to the Recreation and Wellness Center, please bring the following items:
- UHCL/member ID
- A break-resistant, spill-proof water bottle
Check in at the Welcome Center by swiping your ID. You can leave your belongings in a free day-use locker which are located throughout the facility and both men's and women's locker rooms. Instructions on how to use the day-use lockers are located on the inside of the door and posted throughout the facility.
The Recreation and Wellness Center is located on the north side of campus near the Middlebrook Drive and Bayou Road East intersection, near Entrance 3 and parking lot D. The facility is across from the new STEM building and next to the Residential Hall, which is under construction.
From the Bayou Building: Exit through the north entrance and walk through the Student Services and Classroom
From SSCB: Exit SSCB through the north sliding doors, follow the sidewalk toward Middlebrook Drive. Go past the little gazebo and the construction site on your right. The Center will be on your right; look for the building with blue and green glass and second floor terraces.
|Academic Side||Main Entrance Area||Recreation Side|
|Left of Main Entrance||Between Academic and Recreation||Right of Main Entrance|
9. Biomechanics lab
6. Welcome Center
1. MAC Gym
*Recreation areas require valid UHCL student or member ID.
|Academic Side||Recreation Side|
|19. Student terrace
21. Exercise and Health Science
22. Faculty terrace
|13. 1/8-mile track
14. Satellite Fitness Zone
15. Multi-purpose rooms
16. Administrative suite
18. Personal training studio
- Current UHCL students who have paid Recreation and Wellness fee are automatically enrolled as members.
- Non-student memberships, including UHCL faculty and staff, retirees, alumni, and the
community are available.
Sign up for a non-student memberships at rwconnect.uhcl.edu.
- Guest passes:
- Each member has two free guest passes per semester.
- Members may purchase additional guest day passes for $10/day/pass.
- Day passes can be purchased online through rwconnect.uhcl.edu.
- Learn more about being a Recreation and Wellness Center member at
- Fitness zones with cardio, free weight, plate loaded, pin-select and olympic spaces.
- 2 regulation-sized basketball courts.
Courts can be converted to two volleyball or three badminton courts.
- Multi-activity court (MAC gym) with dasher walls and protective netting
for indoor soccer, floor hockey, basketball, volleyball and other activities.
- 2 multi-purpose rooms used for group fitness classes, meeting space or open recreation.
- 1/8-mile, elevated, 3-lane indoor track.
Located above multi-activity court and basketball courts.
- Semi-private personal training space.
- Stretching zone, cardio/strength space and two turf functional spaces.
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms.
- Social spaces and student work areas.
- Outdoor field spaces include the
- Recreation and Wellness Center's Backyard
(between the Recreation and Wellness Center and STEM building)
- Delta Complex with one large lit field, four tennis courts and two outdoor basketball courts
- Recreation and Wellness Center's Backyard
- Intramural sports are individual, dual and team sports.
Events range from single-day to multi-week tournaments.
Use IMLeagues to view and register for intramural sports. Make sure to specify UHCL as your school and use your UHCL email. Chrome browser recommended.
Visit Recreational Sports
- Sport Clubs are sports-based student organizations for soccer, volleyball, fusion dance, cricket, eSports, and the spirit squad.
- Biomechanics lab
- Exercise physiology lab
- Motor control lab
- 50- and 40-seat classrooms, group study rooms and faculty suite