Important COVID-19 Updates
Reservations required. Call 281-283-2330 to make a same-day or next-day reservation.
We are committed to continuing to serve our students in the safest way possible. For more information related to COVID-19, visit the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health Alert page.
If you are in need of additional support services, have questions or concerns not related to Campus Recreation and Wellness, please contact the Dean of Students Office.
Engaged Hawks Soaring in Health and Happiness
The 81,709-square feet Recreation and Wellness Center opened its doors in August 2018 and features dozens of amenities for students, faculty, staff, retirees, alumni and community members. This Center is more than just a gym. It's a place where you can enhance and maintain your physical and mental health, challenge yourself and spend time with friends.
From rowing machines to fitness classes to educational workshops, the Recreation and Wellness Center is the perfect environment for self improvement and fun! Ready to get fit and stay healthy? Visit our Member Services to learn more.
Upcoming Campus Rec Events
Reservation Requirement Removed
- Effective Monday, February 8, patrons will no longer be required to call ahead to make a reservation for the use of the RWC. Patrons will still be required to complete a simple Wellness Check, provide their ID card or ID number at the Welcome Desk when arriving, and check out at the Welcome Desk when leaving.
- The reservation policy may be needed at a later time, but due to current usage patterns we are removing this requirement.
Capacity Limits for RWC and Spaces
- Capacity limits will still be enforced for the entire RWC including space specific limits. Those capacity limits are listed on the guideline signage when entering a space.
- The stanchions have been removed from the first floor fitness zone and signage has been added to show the current number of users in that space. That number will be updated every 10 minutes.
- All other spaces will be counted as needed.
The Spring 2021 Group Fitness classes will begin on Tuesday, January 19.
All group fitness classes will be free for the entire Spring 2021 semester for all UHCL students and RWC members. Classes are available both for limited in-person patrons and online streaming.
Register for classes through RWConnect for both in-person and streaming options. Walk-up registration is available but spaces are limited. Registration opens 48 hours before scheduled classes.
Make sure to check out the fitness page for specifics about group fitness and more information about the other fitness services offered through the department.
Rec Center Information
Master Policies for the Department of Campus Recreation and Wellness are designed to create consistency for all patrons, ensure we operate in the safest and healthiest way possible, and provide the "why" for policies. Master Policies cover facility access, apparel, accountability and disciplinary processes for patrons, space and program specifics, and more.
Please refer to the Reopening Guidelines for policy info related to COVID-19 adjustments. All COVID-19 adjustments supersede Master Policies when they are in conflict.
Any questions, comments or concerns can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and representative will contact you with a response.
The Recreation and Wellness Center is located on the north side of campus near the Middlebrook Drive and Bayou Road East intersection, near Entrance 3 and parking lot D. The facility is across from the new STEM building and next to the Hunter Hall.
The Recreation and Wellness Center is building 5 on the campus map. A Visitor's Parking kiosk is located directly in front of the east side of the facility near the loop intersection. Once a visitors pass is purchased, visitors may park in Lot D parking spots designated for visitors.
From the Bayou Building: Exit through the north entrance and walk through the Student Services and Classroom Building (SSCB).
From SSCB: Exit SSCB through the north sliding doors, follow the sidewalk toward Middlebrook Drive. Go past the little gazebo and the construction site on your right. The Center will be on your right; look for the building with blue and green glass and second floor terraces.
|Academic Side||Main Entrance Area||Recreation Side|
|Left of Main Entrance||Between Academic and Recreation||Right of Main Entrance|
9. Biomechanics lab
6. Welcome Center
1. MAC Gym
*Recreation areas require valid UHCL student or member ID.
|Academic Side||Recreation Side|
|19. Student terrace
21. Exercise and Health Science
22. Faculty terrace
|13. 1/8-mile track
14. Satellite Fitness Zone
15. Multi-purpose rooms
16. Administrative suite
18. Personal training studio
- Fitness zones with cardio, free weight, plate loaded, pin-select and Olympic spaces.
- 2 regulation-sized basketball courts.
Courts can be converted to two volleyball or three badminton courts.
- Multi-activity court (MAC gym) with dasher walls and protective netting
for indoor soccer, floor hockey, basketball, volleyball and other activities.
- 2 multi-purpose rooms used for group fitness classes, meeting space or open recreation.
- 1/8-mile, elevated, 3-lane indoor track.
Located above multi-activity court and basketball courts.
- Semi-private personal training space.
- Stretching zone, cardio/strength space and two turf functional spaces.
- Men's and women's locker rooms.
- Social spaces and student work areas.
Outdoor field spaces include:
- Recreation and Wellness Center's Backyard
(between the Recreation and Wellness Center and STEM building)
- Delta Complex with one large lit field, four tennis courts and two outdoor basketball courts
- Biomechanics lab
- Exercise physiology lab
- Motor control lab
- 50- and 40-seat classrooms, group study rooms and faculty suite