About the Chemistry Program
What is Chemistry?
Chemistry is often referred to as the central science as it joins together physics, mathematics, biology, medicine, and environmental sciences.
Chemistry is the link that connects problems in the fundamental nature of matter to the complex and relevant problems of human civilization.
To provide high quality chemistry education and hands-on laboratory training for undergraduate and graduate students that would enable them to be equipped for advanced degrees and careers in STEM fields after graduation.
History Highlights of the Chemistry Program at UHCL
- The Chemistry Program was established in 1983, shortly after the founding of UHCL. We are strategically located in Greater Houston metropolitan area, are adjacent to NASA Johnson's Space Center.
- In 2018, we moved into a new cutting-edge $65.7 million STEM building, with the whole 3rd floor dedicated for Chemistry.
- Currently (Spring 2021), the Program consists of 6 full-time and 2 part-time Professors, 2 Lecturers, 1 Lab Technician, 44 BS students, 11 BA students, 9 MS students, and 14 students pursuing a Chemistry Minor.
- Standard Chemistry Core in the traditional areas of Analytical, Inorganic, Organic, Physical Chemistry, and Biochemistry.
- Advanced Electives (Principles of Chemical Engineering, Advanced Polymer Chemistry, Spectroscopic Identification of Organic Compounds, Astrobiochemistry I and II, Symmetry in Chemistry, Organometallic Chemistry, Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Special Topics).
What We Offer
- All students will enjoy a low student-to-faculty ratio, and have access to the most relevant, state-of-the-art scientific instrumentation.
- Chemistry BA - designed to prepare students for admission to professional healthcare schools or teaching careers.
- Chemistry BS - designed to prepare students for graduate training and for technical careers in the chemical industry.
- Chemistry MS – designed to provide students with extensive hands-on research experience and prepare for Ph.D. schools or advanced technical careers in the chemical industry. Additional specialization in Petrochemical & Process Chemistry is available.
- 10 cutting-edge Research Labs and 5 Teaching Labs
- JEOL 500 MHz NMR Spectrometer
- LC/MS with XL ion Trap Mass from Thermo
- Agilent GC-MS system
- Perkin-Elmer Optima 7000 DV ICP-OES
- XRD Powder Diffractometer
- Agilent Cary Eclipse Fluorescence Spectrophotometer
- Perkin-Elmer Frontier IR spectrometers
- Thermo DXR2 Raman Spectrometer