Welcome to the graduate program in Statistics at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. The Statistics program offers a Master of Science in Statistics. Its focus is interdisciplinary and students are trained to apply their knowledge of statistics in the fields of medicine, insurance, finance, education, sciences and engineering. The UHCL graduates in Statistics have been placed in diverse careers, including statistician / biostatisticians and analysts in the field of medical institutes, banking, insurance, investment, energy, environmental sciences, researchers, etc. Some of our graduates employed in banking and insurance companies are making six-figure salaries.
Why Study Statistics?
Statistics is the science of learning from data
- It involves collection, analysis, interpretation of data, as well as effective communication and presentation of results relying on data.
Data is being collected everywhere all the time
- From medical studies to scientific experiments, from polling organizations to National Security Agency, from the Curiosity exploring Mars to social network sites like Facebook, even from shopping at local stores such as Kroger, CVS, Randalls, etc., data is being diligently and consecutively collected for its use in quantitative analysis and inference to evaluate needs of the societies.
- Knowledge in statistics provides you with the fundamental tools and conceptual foundations in quantitative reasoning to extract useful and important information intelligently from data.
- Business, industries and government now rely on data for their planning and for developing policies. Knowledge of statistics lies at the heart of quantitative reasoning essential for making advances in the sciences, decisions in industries and development and implementation of government policy.
Statistics program at University of Houston-Clear Lake
- The Statistics program at UHCL emphasizes a curriculum with a balance of theory and application of statistics. It prepares students with statistical knowledge, computing skills, and technical communication skills that are needed in their careers. Students with sufficient undergraduate math foundation courses are expected to graduate from the STAT program with a Master of Science in two years if they remain enrolled full-time. Refer to the curriculum requirements on the Statistics M.S. degree plan.
- Statistics M.S.
Standard Graduate Admission Deadline
ApplicationA standard university application is required.
- 3.0 GPA
- GRE Total Score of 290 (140 Verbal + 150 Quantitative)
- Additional Requirements – Undergraduate degree in Math or Statistics; Students with an undergraduate degree in Engineering, Science or other field will be considered if the preparation includes an adequate number of upper-level credit hours in Math and Statistics.
Additional Admission Information
Criteria for Admission
To be eligible for admission into the master of science program in statistics, an applicant must provide each of the following:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Acceptable performance on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) English proficiency
- Evidence of strong performance in the following courses:
- Introduction to Linear Algebra
How to Apply
- To apply to the master of science program in statistics complete the UHCL application. For general information regarding admission, please visit the Office of Admission at UHCL.
- To speed up your application processing, please verify that the University's Office of Admission has all your necessary documents.
- Applicants inquiring about the status of their applications may contact Academic Advisors; Phone: (281) 283-371, E-mail: email@example.com.
Recommendation letters can be sent via mail or email to CSE Advising:
Office of Academic Advising College of Science and Engineering University of Houston-Clear Lake 2700 Bay Area Boulevard Houston, Texas 77058
College of Science and Engineering Academic Advising Bayou Building Suite 3611 Phone: (281) 283-3711 Fax: (281) 283-3707 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct any general questions about the STAT program to Dr. Yingfu Li, the program chairperson.
Students should schedule a session with the academic advisor immediately upon arrival. Academic advisors are located in the CSE Dean Office, Bayou Building Room 3611. You may phone them at 281-283-3711 or e-mail email@example.com. Please visit the CSE Academic Advising page to find out more information.
The academic advisor
- Helps students set up draft CPS
- Co-approves the CPS
- Partially evaluates students' academic records
- Processes lower-level course waiver requests
- Assigns a faculty advisor to every student
The academic advisor will assign faculty advisors to STAT students
The faculty advisor:
- Approves elective courses
- Determines foundation courses students need
- Co-approves the CPS
- Evaluates the academic records of the student, if needed
- Helps students set up an individual study plan
- Offers advice on course selection
- Advises on requests to waive courses.
Before meeting with the faculty advisor, students should
- Select the elective courses they want
There are three basic types of financial aid available:
- UHCL Scholarships
University of Houston-Clear Lake provides various types of scholarships. Please review these and apply for the scholarships one is eligible for. New applicants, especially international or out of state applicants, are encouraged to apply for the Hawk Scholars Scholarship. It is a competitive scholarship based on the criteria of academic merit and dates of unconditional admission and scholarship application. Therefore, the earlier an applicant applies for admission and for this scholarship, the higher is the chance for receiving this award. An awardee of the Hawk Scholars Scholarship will be eligible for in-state tuition.
- Dean's Scholarship
College of Science and Engineering Dean's Scholarship: Masters in Statistics Scholarship Information.
- Teaching Assistantships
The Statistics Program provides opportunities to its full-time students, especially international students, to be employed as teaching assistantship. In the past, almost every full-time student in STAT program has been awarded teaching assistantship after their first semester enrolled at UHCL with strong performance. We strongly suggest new applicants to apply for admission early and at the same time apply for the Hawk Scholars Scholarship. If you reside in the States and also have strong mathematics and statistics background, we encourage you come to see the program chair to explore your chance of receiving an assistantship.
Candidates for assistantships must complete the graduate Teaching Assistant application and return it to the department secretary. The renewal of teaching assistantship is subject to satisfactory performance. Teaching Assistant duties include grading homework and conducting help sessions for instructors who teach undergraduate statistics courses.
Student Data and Outcomes
Statisticians are in high demand in a wide variety of fields ranging from business to government and science to industry (such as government agencies, pharmaceutical companies, medical institutes, financial institutions, insurance companies, industrial firms, energy companies, etc.). Not only are there many exciting opportunities for statisticians, but careers in statistics are quite rewarding with excellent salaries and benefits. Statisticians with sufficient experience earn up to six-figure salaries. "I am not much given to regret, so I puzzled over this one a while. Should have taken much more statistics in college, I think. :)" - Max Levchin, Paypal Co-founder, Slide founder.
Statistician projected as top 10 fastest growing job – http://thisisstatistics.org/statistician-projected-as-top-10-fastest-growing-job