Texas Envirothon would not be able to put on this yearly environmental competition without the help of volunteers like you – join the fun!
The competition takes place over two days, which roughly break down as follows:
- On Sunday, the competition portion of the day (7:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.) requires Test Runners, Station Monitors, Team Guides, and Photographers;
- Later in the evening (6:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.), Team Buddies monitor teams as they prepare their oral presentation.
- On Monday, the oral presentation portion (7:15 a.m. – noon) requires Judges, Door Monitors, Timers, Runners, and Team Buddies.
Volunteering at the Texas Envirothon has many benefits:
- All volunteers will receive a Texas Envirothon t-shirt.
- You'll have opportunities to network with educators and environmental professionals from across Texas.
- You'll meet environmentally conscious students from across Texas.
- You'll also reconnect with your own avidity to make a difference for both young people and the Texas landscape.
The exact location of the competition is top secret, so we will be emailing that information closer to the event date. We can tell you that this year, we will be in the Greater Houston Area.
Volunteer Job Descriptions
All Sunday morning volunteers should dress for being outdoors and wear sneakers or hiking boots. Please bring a sack lunch and water bottle. Snacks will be available.
If you can help make this year's Envirothon the best one yet, please complete the volunteer sign-up form below or contact Wendy Reistle (281-283-3045) for more information. Thank you!
Note: Number of volunteers needed is indicated in parentheses.
These folks stay at a station during the field competition on Sunday. You will be responsible for giving instructions, handing out test, using a walkie-talkie, etc. (Approximate times are 7:30 a.m. – 1 pm.)
These folks will walk around with the teams as they go to each station. We suggest bringing a book to read. (Approximate times are 7:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
Test runners will get some exercise! They will need to pick up the test from each station and carry them to test graders. Bring a bicycle if you have one. (Approximate times are 7:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
Sunday morning (3)
Need to photograph the students during the field test. (Approximate times are 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
Monday morning (1)
Photograph the teams after their presentations. Also photograph winning teams during and after luncheon. (Approximate times are 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
You will be monitoring students while they are preparing their oral presentations. You may bring something to read or work on. (Approximate times are 6:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.)
Judges will listen to oral presentations given by the students and score the presentations. There will be a brief orientation and light breakfast. (Approximate times are 7:15 a.m. – noon.) All of our judges are invited to stay for an awards luncheon, which concludes by 2:00 pm. Please RSVP for lunch when you sign up.
These folks will keep doors closed and time the presentations. (Approximate times are 7:15 a.m. – noon.) A light Breakfast and orientation will be provided.
Runners will bring the score sheets back to the scoring room. (Approximate times are 8:30 a.m. – noon.)
These folks hang out with the teams as they are waiting to present, bring a book or something to work on. (Approximate times are 7:45 a.m. – 11 a.m.)