Academy of Science and Technology Wins at 2012 Texas Envirothon
April 18, 2012—The Texas Envirothon was held April 14-16, 2012 at the Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. The overall winner was Academy of Science and Technology, Team B. Academy of Science and Technology Team A was second place; The John Cooper School, Team A took third place. Academy of Science and Technology Team B will represent Texas at the Canon Envirothon competition to be held in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania on July 22 - July 28, 2012.
In addition to the overall winners, awards were given to the top scoring teams on the field/written exam by topic and for the top team in the oral presentations during a ceremony held at the Stephen F. Austin Student Center on Monday afternoon. The winners were The John Cooper School Team A in Aquatics; The John Cooper School Team B in Current Issue; Academy of Science and Technology Team B in Forestry and Soils; Academy of Science and Technology Team A in Oral Presentation; and Klein Collins High School in Wildlife.
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Entergy Corporation
- Enbridge Inc.
- Environmental Institute of Houston
- University of Houston-Clear Lake
- Canon Envirothon
- Gulf Coast Waste Disposal Authority
- Texas Association of Environmental Professionals
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
- Montgomery County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Association of Texas Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- Harris County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Texas Association for Environmental Education
- San Patricio Soil and Water Conservation District
- Walker County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Bosque Soil and Water Conservation District
- Upshur-Gregg Soil and Water Conservation District
- Stephen F. Austin State University
- SFA Pineywoods Native Plant Center
- Amazing Houston LID Competition
- Attoyac Bayou WPP Development
- Coastal Nonpoint Pollution Control Program (NOAA) Fact Sheet
- Dickinson Bayou Pet Waste and Water Quality Fact Sheet
- Further Reading - Suggested Websites (current issue)
- Harris County Low Impact Development & Green Infrastructure Design Criteria for Storm Water Management
- Hydrocycle Educational Poster
- Lake Worth Vision Plan: Part Four: Principles, Recommendations, and Implementation
- Landscape Irrigation Guide
- "Take Care of Texas" Guide to Yard Care
- Texas Stream Team Communication Plan
Five schools for a total of eight teams participated in the competition.
- Academy of Science and Technology, The Woodlands
- John Cooper School, The Woodlands
- Klein Collins High School, Spring
- Richardson High School, Richardson
- Rio Hondo High School, Rio Hondo