John Cooper High School-Team B Wins First Place in 5th Annual Texas Envirothon
The Texas Envirothon was held on April 10 and 11, 2005, at The Big Thicket National Preserve, in Kountze. The overall winner was John Cooper High School Team B from The Woodlands. Second place went to John Cooper High School Team A, and in third place was Conroe Academy of Science and Technology Team A. John Cooper High School Team B will represent Texas in the International Canon Envirothon, which will be held in Springfield, Missouri, July 18 - July 23, 2005.
Awards are given to the top scoring teams on the field/written exam, by topic, and for the top team in the oral presentations. The winners were John Cooper High School Team A and John Cooper High School Team B in Aquatics; Paschal High School, Ft. Worth, in Forestry; Chapel Hill High School Team B, Mt. Pleasant, and John Cooper High School Team A tied in Soils; John Cooper High School Team B in Wildlife; Current Issue was taken by John Cooper High School Team A; and the Oral Presentation was won by John Cooper High School Team B.
- Eastman Chemical Company
- National Environmental Education and Training Foundation
- University of Houston-Clear Lake
- Environmental Institute of Houston
- Canon USA
- Texas Association of Environmental Professionals
- Harris County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Montgomery County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Richardson Environmental Action League
- Texas Association for Environmental Education
- Texas A & M Extension
- The following Soil & Water Conservation Districts:
Lower Trinity, Walker County, Coastal, Navasota, Lower Neches
- Big Thicket National Preserve
Nine teams from six schools participated in the fifth annual competition.
- Chapel Hill High School, Mt. Pleasant
- Churchill High School, San Antonio
- Conroe Academy of Science and Technology, Conroe
- John Cooper High School, The Woodlands
- Paschal High School, Ft. Worth
- South Grand Prairie High School, Dallas