The Servant Leader Scholar Program (SLSP) recognizes students who participate in leadership development opportunities as well as those who engage in community service opportunities throughout their matriculation at the University of Houston-Clear Lake.
How do I participate?
All students at the University of Houston-Clear Lake are eligible to participate in the Servant Leader Scholar Program. You can opt into the Servant Leader Scholar Program at any point throughout your UHCL experience by completing our registration form.
Servant Leader Scholar Program Recognition Levels
Students participating in the Servant Leader Scholar Program can achieve four different recognition levels throughout their experience at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. Progression on your journey through the program is tracked through UHCL GetInvolved.
- 25 Completed Community Service Hours
- Attendance at Five (5) Leadership Experiences
- 50 Completed Community Service Hours
- Attendance at Ten (10) Leadership Experiences
- 75 Completed Community Service Hours
- Attendance at Fifteen (15) Leadership Experiences
- 100 Completed Community Service Hours
- Attendance at Twenty (20) Leadership Experiences
What Constitutes Community Service?
A community service experience in the context of the Servant Leader Scholar Program is any service performed for the community for which you are not financially reimbursed, is outside of your family unit/home, and does not involve personal gain. Examples of community service include:
- UHCL's The Big Event
- Volunteering at any UHCL event
- Volunteering with a student organization (i.e. Hawks 4 Community)
- Service at a non-profit or other off-campus organization (i.e. food banks, shelters)
- Volunteering at your local community center or spiritual institutions
- Involvement with political campaigns or voter registration efforts
- Service or experiential learning programs including internships and student teaching
All community service hours must be reported on GetInvolved to be considered for approval. For questions about community service, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Constitutes Leadership Experiences?
A leadership experience in the context of the Servant Leader Scholar Program is any leadership development opportunity offered at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. Examples of approved leadership experiences include:
- Leadership Experience Development Series (Each workshop as part of the series will count as an individual experience)
- Annual Student Leadership Retreat
- Annual Student Leadership Conference
- Hawk Leadership Institute
- Student Organization Leadership Position (Please note that for the context of this program; being a leader in a student organization will count for only one experience)
- Leadership Development Workshops hosted by campus partners