Computer Engineering is an interdisciplinary field of study that combines electrical engineering and computer science into a specialized field of practice. Computer engineers design, develop and improve computers and computing systems and upon completion of your degree, you will be heavily in demand for highly coveted, well-compensated leadership roles across business and industry.
Computer Engineering Master of Science program at University of Houston-Clear Lake helps students expand their knowledge and skill set in state-of-the-art computer labs while participating in a variety of learning and research opportunities. Students have the opportunity to have research experience with world-class faculty who have great research background and projects. There are part-time and full-time graduate research assistantship and teaching assistantship opportunities available for qualified students, and these assistantships are competitive.
You can choose either extended coursework option or thesis option, which is more research oriented, based on your career goals. Current specialization areas within the Computer Engineering program include robotics, embedded system design, digital signal and image processing, integrated circuits and systems, communication and networks and high performance computing. You will have the opportunity of conducting research in capstone or thesis courses under the guidance of a program faculty.
The faculty members with extensive industry and academic experiences are considered as experts in their fields and have all the necessary skills in order to give theoretical knowledge and hands-on practical experience to our students. Our local community - which includes NASA Johnson Space Center and major international companies - provides unique resources and experiences to our students.
Visit the “Faculty” link on the left to learn more about the research and teaching profile of each CENG faculty member.
UHCL’s College of Science and Engineering has created a master’s program which exposes the students to the breadth of computer engineering while providing the chance to pick a computer engineering track in depth. Explore the classes you’ll need to take for your Computer Engineering master’s degree using the links to the degree plan and degree map below.
Learn more about course offerings of the current and the next semester.
Detailed course descriptions and the course catalog can be accessed under the “Student Resources” link on the left.
Explore what the future holds for you by attending University of Houston-Clear Lake's College of Science and Engineering. Find out now what it takes to be admitted.
Take your education to new heights in University of Houston-Clear Lake's College of Science and Engineering. Learn the next steps to being admitted now.
- Computer Engineering M.S.
Standard Graduate Admission Deadline
ApplicationA standard university application is required.
- 3.0 GPA
- GRE Total Score of 290 (150 Quantitative)
- Additional Requirements – Undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering or related field
Effective Fall 2018
- An undergraduate degree in computer engineering electrical/electronics engineering, computer science or other disciplines related to computer engineering
- If GPA >= 3.0/4.0 GRE requirements will be waived if at least one of the following
conditions is met:
- The applicant received his B.S. degree from an ABET-accredited program.
- The applicant has at least 2 years of industry or government work experience in a program related field after receiving BS degree. One recommendation letter from a supervisor or an employment verification letter is needed to verify the work experience)
- The applicant has another master's degree
- If 2.5 <= GPA < 3, GRE Quant. >= 155 and GRE total >= 290
- If 2.2 <= GPA < 2.5, GRE Quant. >= 160 and GRE total >= 290