- Al-Mubaid H. and Hoa A. Nguyen. "Measuring Semantic Similarity between Concepts within Multiple Ontologies in the Biomedical Domain". IEEE Trans. SMC-C, Vol.39, No.4, pp. 389-398, July 2009.
- Al-Mubaid H., Rajit K. Singh. "A Text-Mining Technique for Extracting Gene-Disease Associations from the Biomedical Literature". International Journal of Bioinformatics Research and Applications (IJBRA), Vol. 6, No.3, 2010 pp. 270 - 286.
- Al-Mubaid H., P. Chen, H.and M. Pomplun "A Gaze-Controlled Interface to Virtual Reality Applications for Motor- and Speech-Impaired Users", HCI International 2009, San Diego, CA, 2009.
- Al-Mubaid H. and R. Singh., A new text mining approach for finding protein-to-disease associations, American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology AJBB, Vol.1, No.3 pp.145 - 152, 2005.
- Boetticher G., Al-Mubaid H., Karen Frasier-Scott, A Recursive Application of a Support Vector Machine for Protein Spot Detection in 2-Dimensional Gel Electrophoresis, Journal of Computer Science, 1(3): 355-362, 2005.
- Al-Mubaid H., Context-Based Technique for Biomedical Term Classification, Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation CEC-2006, Vancouver, BC, Canada, pp.5726-5733, July 2006.
Computer Science and Information Systems Education
- Liaw, M & Jones, M. "Developing Three Tier Web Applications with an Object-Oriented Database and Java Technology", Information Society of Computer and Applications – 2007 Software Engineering and Data Engineering Conference (ISCA-SEDE 2007), Las Vegas, NV, July 07-10, 2007.
- Liaw, M & Slaughter, E, "Financial Enterprise Websites: A Comparison of Components and Technologies", Journal of Business and Behavioral Sciences – A Referred Publication of The American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences, Spring 2009 Issue.
- Yue, K., Experience on Mashup Development with End User Programming Environment, Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE), Volume 21, Number 1, Spring 2010, pp111-119.
- Yue, K., De Silva, D., Kim, D., Aktepe, M., Nagle, S., Boerger, C., Jain, A., Verma, S., Building Real World Domain-Specific Social Network Websites as Capstone Projects, Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE), Volume 20, Number 1, Spring 2009, pp67-76.
- Boetticher G., Teaching Financial Data Mining using Stocks and Futures Contracts, To appear in the Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, International Institute of Informatics and Systemics, 2006.
- Al-Mubaid H.. and Elden E., Teacher as Researcher: Examples of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL), Southern Business Administration Journal SBAJ Vol.5, No.2, pp.132-144, Fall 2005.
- Boetticher G.., C. Moen, and Yue, K., Using a pre-assessment exam to construct an effective concept-based genetic program for predicting course success, Proceedings of the 36th SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (ACM SIGCSE'05), pp. 500 – 504, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, Feb. 2005.
- Yue, K., Yang T., Ding, W. & Chen, P., Open courseware and computer science education, Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, Volume 20, Issue 1. pp. 178-186. 2004.
- Liaw, M. and Moen C. A Web Database Development Course and a Unique Problem-Solving Project, ACET Journal of Computer Education and Research, Volume 3, Number 1, Fall 2005.
Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Boetticher G, Improving Credibility of Machine Learner Models in Software Engineering, Advanced Machine Learner Applications in Software Engineering, Series on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Du Zhang (California State University, USA) & Jeffrey J P Tsai (University of Illinois, Chicago) Eds., Idea Group Publishing Hershey, PA, USA, ISBN 1591409411, 2007.
- Boetticher G., K. Kaminsky, The Assessment and Application of Lineage Information in Genetic Programs for Producing Better Models, IEEE Information Reuse and Integration Conference 2006 (IRI), September, 2006.
- Boetticher G., Lokhandwala, N., James C. Helm, Understanding the Human Estimator, Second International Predictive Models in Software Engineering (PROMISE) Workshop co-located at the 22nd IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance, Philadelphia, PA, September, 2006.
- Boetticher G, Nearest Neighbor Sampling for Better Software Prediction, Predictive Models in Software Engineering (PROMISE) Workshop co-located at the 27th International Conference in Software Engineering (ICSE), St. Louis, May, 2005.
- Kaminsky, K., Boetticher G., Better Software Defect Prediction Using Equalized Learning with Machine Learners, The IASTED International Conference on Knowledge Sharing and Collaborative Engineering, US Virgin Islands, 2004.
- Kaminsky, K., Boetticher G., How to Predict More with Less, Defect Prediction Using Machine Learners in an Implicitly Data Starved Domain, The 8th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, Fla., 2004. Best Paper Award.
- Kaminsky, K., Boetticher G., Building a Genetically Engineerable Evolvable Program (GEEP) Using Breadth-Based Explicit Knowledge for Predicting Software Defects, The 23rd International Conference of NAFIPS, the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society: 'Fuzzy Sets in the Heart of Canadian Rockies', Banff, Canada, 2004.
- Boetticher G, When Will it Be Done? The 300 Billion Dollar Question, Machine Learner Answers, IEEE Intelligent Systems, June 2003.
E-Commerce and Internet Computing
- Yue, K., Yang T. & Chen, P., A model for open content communities to support effective learning and teaching, Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference on Web-based Communities 2004, pp 533-536, Lisbon, Portugal, April 2004.
- Yue, K., Design and evolution of an undergraduate course on web application development, Proceedings of the 9th Annual SIGCSE Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ACM ITiCSE'04), pp. 22-26, Leeds, UK, June, 2004.
- Liaw, M. and Moen C., Using an Object-oriented Database to Support a Web Application Built with Java Technologies, Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, Volume 21 , Issue 4, pp146-153, April 2006.
- Liaw, M. and Moen C. The Online Grade Book — A Case Study in Learning about Object-Oriented Database Technology, ACET Journal of Computer Education and Research, Volume 2, Number 1, Summer 2004.
Parallel and Distributed Computing
- S. Bettayeb, The Genus of Complete Multipartite Graphs and Complete Multi-Layered Graphs, (with Q. Nguyen), Proc. of the 2010 ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications, May16-19, 2010 in Hammamet, Tunisia
- S. Bettayeb, Stack and Queue Layouts for Toruses and Extended Hypercubes (with Hussain Heydari, Linda Morales, Hal Sudborough), Proc. Of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Jan. 2010 (HICSS 10).
- S. Bettayeb, Upper and Lower Bounds of the Genus of the Pancake Graphs, (with Quan Nguyen), Proc. Of the 14th IEEE International Symposium on Computers and Communications, ISCC 09, July 2009.
- S. Bettayeb, Upper and Lower Bounds on the Pagenumber of the Book Embedding of the k-ary hypercube, (with David Hoelzeman), Journal of Digital Information Management, Vol. 7 Issue 1, Feb. 2009, pp. 31-35.
Security, Wireless Communications, and VLSI Design
- S. Bettayeb, On the Genus of the Pancake Network, (with Quan Nguyen), the International Journal of Information Technology Vol. 7, No. 3, July 2010.
- S. Bettayeb, Efficient Algorithms for Secure Multicast Key Managemen, (with E. Khabiri), Proc. of the 31st. IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks, 2006, pp. 787-792.
- S. Bettayeb, Genuses of Permutation Networks, (with Quan Nguyen), presented at the 15th Annual Research & Creative Arts Students Conference, UHCL, April 22-23, 2009.
Wireless and Mobile Computing
- Myeong-Cheol Park, and, Sangwoo Lee, Demand for number portability in Korean Mobile Telecommunication Market: Contingent Valuation Approach, Journal of Global Information Management, 2007, Vol. 15, Issue 1, pp 43-64.
- Abhishek Patil, Dan J. Kim, & Lionel Ni, A Study of Frequency Interference and Indoor Location Sensing with 802.11b and Bluetooth Technologies, International Journal of Mobile Communications, 2006, Vol. 4, No 6, pp 621-644.
- Constantinos K. Coursaris and A Qualitative Review of Empirical Mobile Usability Studies, 2006 Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Acapulco, Mexico August 4-6, 2006.
XML and Semi-Structured Data
- McDowell, A., Schmidt, C. & Yue, K., Analysis and Metrics of XML Schema, Proceedings of the 2004 International Conference on Software Engineering Research and Practice, Las Vegas, June 21st - 24th, 2004.
Computer Science and Computer Information Systems faculty members at UHCL have interest in the following research areas:
Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems:
Computer Science and Information Systems Education:
Computer Security and Trust:
Data Mining and Machine Learning:
Database and Knowledge-Based Systems:
Distributed and Network Computing:
E-Commerce and Internet Computing:
Fault Isolation and Diagnostics:
Graphics and Windowing Systems:
Graph Theory and Algorithm:
Performance Evaluations :
Wireless and Mobile Computing:
XML and Semi-Structured Data: