In order to minimize the spread of COVID-19, UH-Clear Lake classes will resume remotely (online or alternative format) beginning March 23.
Since the ways in which we effectively deliver instruction, promote student interactivity, and assess learning may differ in the online environment, our team of instructional designers (IDs) and instructional learning technologists (LTAs) offers several types of support for faculty and students to ensure a smooth transition from face-to-face classes to web-based instruction and learning.
AY 2020/2021 Planning Information
The following information is designed to keep faculty informed and seek faculty input about planning for the 2020/2021 Academic Year.
- Document: Bimodal Delivery at UHCL: Guidance for 2020/2021
- Bimodal Educational Approach Survey - Use this link to share thoughts and ask questions about your needs as you develop bimodal versions of your classes and our developing plans for the 2020/2021 Academic Year.
Virtual Office Hours
Join the ID/LTA team for one or more “drop in” web conference sessions in Blackboard Collaborate, specifically to address faculty questions about using Blackboard tools and features to support online teaching and learning. Each session will be hosted by one or more members of the ID team.
Use the following URL to join a session: https://tinyurl.com/vjugdpo. No reservations or appointments are required for these sessions. The schedule is as follows:
- Monday, 10 - 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, 1 - 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, 6 - 7 p.m.
- Thursday, 10 - 11 a.m.
Faculty are always welcome to request a personal web conference/virtual appointment with their designated instructional designer. To do so, please contact the Support Center, either via email at email@example.com or by telephone at 281.283.2828. A member of the Support Center staff will enter your request into our help ticketing system and your instructional designer will be in touch with you shortly to schedule your appointment.
Preparation Guidelines and Recommendations
- Video: Recording of UCT Virtual Bb Instructional Continuity Session, March 17, 2020 [59:26]
- [Recorded Webinar] Preparing to Scale Online Teaching and Learning During Coronavirus
- Continuity Plan (Blackboard) Checklist
- Instructional Continuity Plan
- Association of College and University Educators (ACUE) - provides a good beginning site for transitioning to online instruction
- Indiana University’s “Keep Teaching” Resources
- Chronicle of Higher Education - downloadable set of articles for quick transition to an online environment
- Document: Disaster Recovery Basics (created for use after Hurricane Harvey, but still applicable for our COVID-19 adjustments)
- Video: Post-Disaster Blackboard Basics [9:44] (created for use after Hurricane Harvey, but still applicable for our COVID-19 adjustments)
- Video: Create an Announcement [2:34]
- Video: Upload a Syllabus (or other documents/files) [2:29]
- Video: Using Course Messages [1:35]
- Web Page: Using Online Discussions
- Video: Create Assignment Drop Box [2:32]
- Video: Grading Assignments [1:17]
- Video: Creating an Online Test [1:41]
- Video: Preparing Test Questions for Blackboard - Understanding RESPONDUS-Ready Formatting [21:28]
- Respondus LockDown Browser Resources (Faculty/Students)
- Faculty Guide: Getting Started with ProctorU Review+
Video Lecture/Web Conferencing/Collaborate Resources
- Video: Collaborate Basics for Faculty [5:26]
- Video: Blackboard Collaborate User Interface Tour (Instructors/Moderators) [3:00]
- Web Page: Get Started with Collaborate Ultra for Moderators
- Web Page: Schedule Collaborate Sessions
- Web Page: Moderate Collaborate Sessions - includes information on sharing files during a session, recording sessions, conducting polls, and other features
- Document: Using Collaborate to Record a Video Presentation
- Document: Using Collaborate in Blackboard Groups
- Video: Downloading a Collaborate Chat Transcript [1:30]
- Document: Using Windows' Camera App to Create a Video
- Document: Using PowerPoint to Create an Instructional Video
- Video: Using YouTube to Post Instructor-Made Videos in Blackboard [12:38]
Student Resources for Faculty
- Student Guide: Getting Started with ProctorU Review+
- Student Guide: Using Collaborate to Record a Presentation
- Document: Instructions for Students - Self-Enrolling in Online Student Blackboard Training
- Document: Instructions for Students - Collaborate Basics
- Video: Student Collaborate Tutorial - Accessing Collaborate in Blackboard [6:07]
- Video: Student Collaborate Tutorial - How to View a Recorded Session [3:29]
- Video: Student Collaborate Tutorial - Student Presenter Tools [5:04]
- Document: Submitting Video Hyperlink/URL from One Drive to Blackboard
- Document: Submitting Video Hyperlink/URL from YouTube to Blackboard