Blackboard Faculty Support
OIT's Instructional Design and Technology team provides training and support on Blackboard Learn, as well as other instructional technologies. In addition to Learn, we support Blackboard Ally, Zoom, Echo360, ProctorU, Respondus LockDown Browser, and Respondus Exam 4.0, with additional tools under consideration for future implementation. For more information about our team and services, please review our IDT Guide for Faculty.
For general questions about Blackboard Learn and Blackboard All, our team recommends starting with the Official Blackboard Learn Help Site. Please make sure that the support materials you review are for Blackboard's Original View and not the Ultra View.
If you have questions regarding anything not addressed on this page or the Blackboard Help Site, please feel free to contact the Support Center at 281-283-2828 or by email at email@example.com. For those instructors who need to register for our online Blackboard training, please review the information on our team's Training information page.
Stay current on Blackboard updates, alerts, online learning tips, and more by visiting and subscribing to the UHCL Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) Blog.
Canvas LMS Transition Resources
- [Document] LMS Survey Results
- [Document] Blackboard to Canvas: Transition Plan (Oct 2022)
- [Video] Canvas Preliminary Transition Plan [11:48]
- [Video] Canvas "First Look" [6:07]
- [Document] Canvas "Early Bird" Instructions
- [Video] Canvas Manual Migration Demo - Part 1 [9:38]
- [Video] Canvas Manual Migration Demo - Part 2 [8:33]
- [Document] Blackboard to Canvas: Import Guide
General Instructional Design and Technology
- Fully Online Course Design/Development Guide (2022)
- Downloading and Installing Respondus Exam 4.0
- Extracting a Word Version of a Bb Quiz/Exam via Respondus
- End of Semester Housekeeping
- Start of Semester Housekeeping
- Technical Suggestions for Online Learning and Teaching
- Checklist for Successful Web-Based Learning
- Post-Disaster Blackboard Information (General)
- Post-Disaster Blackboard Basics
- Accessing and Using GoUHCL (QuickLaunch)
Blackboard Tools and Features
- Using Blackboard's Course Copy Feature
- Blackboard Quiz Tips (for Students)
- Blackboard Workgroups
- Using Test Availability Exceptions
- Deploying a 3rd Party/Publisher Building Block
- Updating/Editing Course Menu Web Links
- Customizing Your Course List
- Checking and Fixing Course Permissions
- Adding Textbook Information and Image Item
- Adding or Editing a Course Evaluation Link (for COE, CSE, and HSH)
- Adding a Course Evaluation Link (for BUS only)
- Requesting a Building Block/LTI Integration with Blackboard
- Adding an Academic Support Link
Audio, Video and Web Conferencing
- PTZ (Rally) Classroom Cameras Overview
- Video: PTZ Classroom Cameras Overview [4:26]
- PTZ (Rally) Classroom Cameras and Zoom
- Video: PTZ Cameras and Zoom: A Brief Tutorial [2:24]
- Options for Faculty-Created Video Contents
- Understanding Multimedia File Size in Blackboard
- Creating a Video (MP4) from a Narrated PowerPoint
- Video: Zoom Meetings for Education Training [45:00]
- Guide to Zoom Webinars at UHCL
- Video: Zoom Webinars, Part 1 - Planning Your Webinar [54:37]
- Video: Zoom Webinars, Part 2 - Hosting Your Webinar [40:23]
- Important Information About Zoom Cloud Storage
Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) Team
Through training, documentation, and consultation, the Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) Team supports faculty in identifying, evaluating, and implementing instructionally appropriate software tools to deliver and support face-to-face, hybrid, and fully online learning. We also provide ongoing technical support for university-approved applications and tools for web-based teaching and learning, thereby facilitating the creation and maintenance of easily navigable, well developed, accessible, high-quality web-based instructional environments for our users – the faculty, staff, and students of the University of Houston-Clear Lake. Please see our team's blog for more information.
Did you know Blackboard welcomes your suggestions for improving their products?
If you have an idea for a new feature or enhancement, please visit and join the Blackboard Community. Blackboard Community membership enables you to ask and answer questions about Blackboard, participate in user groups and programs for Blackboard users, and to submit product feedback.
Note: The Blackboard Community link is not for UHCL-related Blackboard technical issues. Please submit those to the Support Center where they will be evaluated and addressed internally. If warranted, the ID and Course Development staff will submit the issue to Blackboard's technical Support Team.