Skip Top Navigation

How to Apply as an International Freshman

  • International Deadlines
  • Fall

    Priority Deadline - May 1
    Extended Deadline - June 1

  • Spring

    Deadline - October 1

  • Summer*

    Deadline - April 1

For more information regarding deferring your application, please visit Deferring International Admission.

Students interested in qualifying for scholarships &/or applying for visas outside the U.S. should apply and submit the application documents/test scores by the priority deadline

*International freshmen applicants will not be accepted for Summer semester.

Apply Now

Admission Requirements for International Freshmen

Educated Outside of the U.S.

 After submitting an International Undergraduate Freshman Application through Apply Texas and the $75 application fee, applicants who have attended an institution located outside the United States must:

  • Possess the equivalent of a U.S. high school/secondary diploma.
  • Submit official SAT/ACT scores.
  • Meet the English Proficiency requirement.

The Office of International Admissions and Programs will complete a holistic review of each applicant. 

Educated Inside the United States

After submitting an International Undergraduate Freshman Application and the $75 application fee, applicants who earn their high school diploma in the United States must meet the university’s general freshman admission standards as explained below:

First-time college students applying to attend UHCL must have attended a recognized public or private high school, meet the Texas Uniform Admission Policy and fulfill the standardized test requirements below:

Rank in Class Minimum SAT Scores Minimum ACT Scores
  (ERWS+MSS) ACT Composite
Top 10% Assured Admissions Assured Admissions
Top 11-25% 1030 20
Top 26-50% 1130 23
Below 51% Individual Review Individual Review
GED/Homeschooled Individual Review Individual Review

If you take the SAT or ACT multiple times, the best score from a single testing date will be used to process your file.

If you attended a school outside of Texas, ranked in the 3rd or 4th quartile of your high school class, received a GED, were home-schooled, attended a non-accredited high school or do not meet UHCL’s automatic or assured admissions criteria, you will be considered for admission through our Individual Review Process. You may also be required to submit the following information in addition to your application and SAT or ACT scores:

  1. Essay or Personal Statement regarding your education and career goals;
  2. Two letters of recommendation which address your academic ability and readiness for college level work; and,
  3. College course work already completed at an accredited institution of higher education.


Applicants, who do not meet university admission standards or who are denied through Individual Review, may request an appeal of their admission decision. The appeals review is handled by a faculty committee.  International applicants interested in appealing their admission decision should make an appeal early so that if the decision is overturned there will be enough time to obtain a visa (if needed).

Steps to Apply

1) Apply Online

Submit your application at Apply Texas - Applicant Home Page by the application deadline.

2) Pay the Application Fee

You must pay a non-refundable application fee of $75 USD through Apply Texas.

Apply Now

3) Submit your Transcripts by Mail

As a freshman applicant, you must provide the Office of International Admissions & Programs (OIAP) with the equivalent of transcripts and secondary diploma from your home country.

  • If you are entering UHCL with prior university credit, you must also provide OIAP with official transcripts, individual mark/grade sheets (showing all passes and fails) and confirmation of degrees or diplomas for all academic studies attempted and completed at other college/universities.
  • The type of documents required will vary based on educational system.
  • You can contact us at for additional information regarding what documents you are required to submit.

You must submit these documents in the original language and English translations (if applicable).

  • Translations (word for word) will only be accepted from the college/university, consulate/embassy approved translators, translations conducted by an approved Evaluation Provider or American Translator Association.
  • This information must be received before the final evaluation can proceed.
  • Transcripts (mark/sheets) must clearly indicate dates of attendance, subjects taken and marks/grades earned (all attempts).
  • All marks/grades should be submitted (even failed attempts).
  • Consolidated mark sheets will not be used and considered as official transcripts.
  • Official transcripts (grade/mark sheets) must be sent directly to the Office of OIAP by the registrar, principal, controller of examinations or responsible head of the office where records (such as degrees/diplomas and grades) are kept.

When this is not possible, documents certified by one of the following will be accepted as "true" or official copies:

  • Ministry of Education;
  • University authority such as Registrar, Principal, Controller of Examination, Vice Rector or Rector;
  • Education USA Official; or
  • Diplomatic Mission Representation in the U.S. such as Consulate, Chancellery, High Commission or Embassy.

NOTE: Copies of transcripts, degrees, or diplomas attested by Heads of Departments, Professors, or Notaries will not be accepted.

If you have taken courses at the university level outside of the U.S., you will also be required to submit one of the following:

Course-by-course Evaluation from a NACES accredited member.
Every course syllabi (in English) reflected on your transcripts.

You must post these documents to:
Office of International Admissions and Programs
2700 Bay Area Blvd, MC 225
Houston, TX 77058

4) Submit your official Test Scores from the testing agency to UHCL

Before submitting any test score, applicants should make sure that the names on their test report(s) match with the name on the student’s passport.  Please contact the Office of International Admission & Programs for guidance if there is any variation of name (including order).

Proof of English Language Proficiency

If you were born or educated in a country where English is not the native language, you must demonstrate English proficiency prior to admission. You can meet this requirement by taking the paper or internet TOEFL exam, Intensive English Language Test (IELTS) exam, Pearson Test of English (PTE) or by successfully completing the ELS Intensive English Language program.

Your minimum scores must be:

  • 550 on the paper-based TOEFL exam;
  • 79 on the TOEFL (iBT) exam;
  • 6.0 on the IELTS exam, 53 on the PTE exam; or,
  • You can successfully complete level 112 in the ELS Intensive English Language program.

Your scores cannot be more than two years old and only those received directly from the testing company will be accepted. You can also review the academic catalog to determine if you qualify for a waiver of this requirement.

English Proficiency Waiver Consideration for Approved SBEC List of Recognized English Speaking Countries: SBEC Approved List of Countries

SAT/ACT Scores

Your official SAT or ACT scores should be sent to the Office of International Admissions & Programs directly from the testing agency. UHCL’s SAT code is 6916. UHCL’s ACT code is 4171.

5) Submit Your Financial Documents

U.S. immigration law requires international students on F-1 and J-1 visas to document their ability to pay the cost of attending (tuition, fees, housing, books, supplies, etc.) equal to one year of study.

Official bank statements issued no older than (6) months

  • Bank statements must have an original signature from the bank agent and or an official stamp/seal of the issuing bank.
  • The amount should be at least equal to the academic year estimate.
  • Multiple funding sources are acceptable as long as the sum of the funding available meets the academic year estimate.
  • Multiple sponsors are acceptable. However, each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.

Acceptable financial documents include:

Statement from the bank signed by agent or bank stamp/seal

Letter written from bank with the amount clearly indicated in U.S. dollars

  • Checking, savings, or certificate of deposit statements
  • Scholarship letters
  • Letters showing government funding

Unacceptable financial documents include:

  • Statements (including scholarship letters or government funding) older than 6 months
  • Bank statements lacking required tuition amount
  • Credit card statements
  • Employment letters
  • Tax statements
  • Bank statements or bank letters written in language other than English
  • Conditional loan statements

Affidavit of Support are required for international students who plan to apply for F-1 or J-1 visa status. Each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.

If you meet the academic admission requirements, your admission will not be finalized (documents for your student visa will not be issued) until your original financial documents are reviewed and processed.

6) Submit Your Immigration Documents

All applicants are required to submit a copy of their passport ID page(s). Also,

  • F-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of the SEVIS I-20 and a copy of their I-94 record.
  • J-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 of the DS-2019 and a copy of their I-94 record.
  • Other visa status holders will need to submit a copy of their I-94.

7) Submit the Student Statement of Understanding

A Student Statement of Understanding form must be signed and submitted as proof that you have read and understand all UHCL admission requirements. This form also identifies your visa status as well as any dependents you may need to include on your I-20 or DS-2019.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I submit my transcript (grade/mark sheet) and proof of diploma/degree?

Submit (by post) ALL of the following Original Documents in English and in the native language *

  1. Your Official Transcripts or Consolidated Grade/Mark sheets.
  2. If your institution issues grade/mark sheets, you are required to submit the individual Grade/Mark Sheets for each Semester including passing and failed mark sheets. Semesters need to be clearly marked such as Semester 1, 2, 3 etc. listing the Month/Year they were taken.
  3. Official Proof of Diploma/Degrees or Provisional Certificates.

Explanation of Official Transcripts, Grade/Mark Sheets, Proof of Degrees:

  1. Original Documents or
  2. Documents - all pages - attested by one of the following:
    1. Registrar
    2. Principal
    3. Controller of Examinations
    4. Ministry of Education
    5. Ministry of Foreign Affairs or International Cooperation

Exception: All pages do not need to be attested if School Documents are mailed by the School in a sealed, stamped envelope signed by one of the following:

  1. Registrar
  2. Principal
  3. Controller of Examination

Please Note: Attestations on school documents OR on envelops by Heads of Departments, Professors, or Notaries will not be accepted.

*Proof of Official School Documents in Native Language Requirements: Please contact the Office of International Admissions & Student Services to request if you need to provide documents not only in English but in native language as well.

Who is required to submit documents in their native language and English translations?
Students whose documents are usually issued in their native language are required to submit the native language documents and word for word official translations. For example, if transcripts from Mexico are issued, applicants are required to submit the native language transcript and official word for word translations of the transcripts. Applicants who are unsure if they should have native language documents and word for word English translations can e-mail for clarification.
What does UHCL consider official translations?

Translation of School Documents Requirement:

University of Houston-Clear Lake requires applicants to submit a word for word translation of your Transcripts, Grade/Mark Sheets, and official proof of degrees.

Word-for-Word translation will be accepted by one of the following:

  1. The College /University who issued your school documents in native language.
  2. Consulate/Embassy approved English translators
  3. Certified Translator - recognized by the American Translators Association.
  4. NACES Member - Do not purchase an evaluation; we only need a word-for-word translation


  • International Admissions

    Phone: 281-283-2740
    Fax: 281-226-7038

    Bayou Building B2123
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 225
    Houston, TX 77058-1002