College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
University of Houston- Clear Lake is an open national testing center for the College Level Examination Program® (CLEP). CLEP is a national program of credit by examination that allows students the opportunity to demonstrate college-level knowledge for specific undergraduate courses. It is designed to assess knowledge gained through accelerated, advanced or honors high school classes, as well as independent study.
College-Level Examination Program Table
|Subject Exam Title||Score||Semester Credit Hours||Course Equivalency||Notes|
|American Government||50||3||POLS 2305||1|
|American Literature||50||3||LITR 2326|
|Analyzing and Interpreting Literature||50||3||LITR 2341|
|Biology||50||8||BIOL 1306/1106 and BIOL 1307/1107 or BIOL 1406 and BIOL 1407||3, 8|
|Chemistry||50||8||CHEM 1311/1111 and CHEM 1312/1112 or CHEM 1411 and CHEM 1412||3, 8|
|College Mathematics||50||3||MATH 1332||4|
|College Algebra||50||3||MATH 1314||4|
|English Literature||50||3||LITR 2321|
|Financial Accounting||50||3||ACCT 2301|
|College Composition||50/4||3||WRIT 1301||5|
|50/6||6||WRIT 1301 and WRIT 1302||9|
|History of the United States I: Early Colorizations to 1877||50||3||HIST 1301||7|
|History of the United States II: 1865 to Present||50||3||HIST 1302||7|
|Human Growth and Development||50||3||PSYC 2314|
|Information Systems||50||3||ISAM 1305|
|Introduction to Business Law||50||3||LEGL 2301|
|Introductory to Sociology||50||3||SOCI 1301||6|
|Introductory to Psychology||50||3||PSYC 2301||6|
|Pre calculus||50||4||MATH 2412||4|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||3||ECON 2301||6|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||3||ECON 2302||6|
|Spanish||50 – 56||3||Spanish 1311|
|57 – 62||6||Spanish 1311 and 1312|
|63 – 70||9||Spanish 1311, 1312, and 2311|
|71 – 80||12||Spanish 1311, 1312, 2311, and 2312|
|Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648||50||3||HIST 2321|
|Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present||50||3||HIST 2322|
- Course partially satisfies the Government/Political Science requirement of the core curriculum.
- Course may be used to satisfy the Language, Philosophy and Culture core curriculum requirement.
- Courses may be used to meet the Life and Physical Science core curriculum requirement.
- Courses may be used to meet the Math core curriculum requirement.
- Course may be used to satisfy the Communications core requirement
- Courses may be used to satisfy the Social Behavioral Science core curriculum requirement.
- Courses satisfy the History core curriculum requirement.
- Courses may be used to partially satisfy Component Area Option core curriculum requirements.
- The Writing Department at UHCL will no longer award credit for the CLEP exam titled "College Composition Modular" after 1/31/2023. UHCL students who scored a minimum score of 50 on the Modular exam prior to 1/31/2023 will still be awarded 3 hours of credit for WRIT 1301.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I schedule an appointment and pay for the CLEP?
The total cost is $95. CLEP requires an $80 fee for each test, which must be paid via the CLEP website prior to testing appointment. There is also a $15 administration fee paid directly to the UHCL Testing Center. The administration fee may be paid online when the testing appointment is scheduled.
How long does it take to complete the exam?
Each CLEP® exam is 90 minutes long with a multiple choice question/answer format. English Composition is the only exam with a graded essay.
What do I need to bring for the exam?
A current, photo identification is required and the printed CLEP Voucher.
When do I receive the results from the exam?
This process is managed by College Board: you will receive an unofficial score report at the completion of exam with the exception of the College Composition with essay. Your official score will be sent to the you within three to four weeks. When you register for a CLEP exam in My Account, you can indicate the college, employer or certifying agency that you want to receive your CLEP test scores. For more information please visit: https://clep.collegeboard.org/about/score.
Where is the Testing Center located?
Bayou Building room 1408 on the campus of University of Houston - Clear Lake located at 2700 Bay Area Boulevard Houston, Texas 77058.
What UHCL course credit is awarded for CLEP exams?
CLEP gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know by earning qualifying scores on any of 34 examinations.