Credit by Examination

UHCL may award college credit for Advanced Placement Examination (AP credit), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit, and International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations and/or Diploma.

Ways to earn credit

To receive AP or CLEP credit, we must receive an official score report prior to enrollment in the corresponding college course. Contact the College Board at to request your score report be sent to us at school code 6916. In order to receive credit, your scores must meet the minimum acceptable AP scores or CLEP scores at UHCL. We will accept up to a maximum of 30 hours of credit towards a bachelor's degree.

We also awarded credit in transfer as long as the credit has been posted on your transcript at another regionally accredited community college or university.

The International Baccalaureate (IB) is an international program of courses and examinations offered at the high school level. In accordance with Section 51.968 of the Texas Education Code, UHCL will grant at least 24 credit hours in appropriate subject areas to an entering freshman student for successful completion of the IB Diploma Program. The institution may grant fewer than 24 credit hours if the student received a score of less than four on an examination administered as part of the Diploma Program.

Lower-level credit

We will accept AP or CLEP credit courses for the following purposes:

  • To establish your eligibility for undergraduate admissions.
  • To fulfill statutory and core (lower-level) academic requirements for your bachelor's degree.

Upper-level credit

UHCL will accept credit earned through CLEP for upper-level work, but each academic school or department at UHCL will determine whether CLEP credit can be accepted and applied toward specific degree requirements.