Advance Math Placement Test (AMPT)
What are the Advanced Math Placement Tests (AMPTs)?
The AMPTs are assessments used to determine the appropriate Math placement course. Each test is 60 minutes long. The tests cover topics from Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, and Pre-Calculus.
The two AMPT tests offered are:
- The Precalculus Placement Exam - A passing score of 60 or above earns placement in Math 2412 (Pre-Calculus); scores 59 and under on the Precalculus exam earn placement in Math 1314 (College Algebra) course.
- The Calculus 1 Placement Exam - A passing score of 65 or above earns placement in Math 2413 (Calculus 1). For scores under 65, please contact your advisor to determine if you should take the Precalculus Placement exam.
Please contact your advising office to discuss which AMPT to take prior to registering.
Should I take the AMPT?
Students must have passed TSI Math in order to take an AMPT. If your academic major* requires Calculus I or above, the following UHCL Mathematics and Department Placement and Testing Policy applies:All students enrolling in MATH 2412 (Pre-Calculus) or MATH 2413 (Calculus I) need at the date of registration:
- The prerequisite university mathematics course.
- The Advanced Placement Exam (AMPT) equivalent to the prerequisite university mathematics course.
- The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Exam equivalent to the prerequisite university mathematics course.
Are there any exemptions for the AMPT?
Yes, see the chart below for additional information. Documentation must be received prior to course registration. Accepted credit is defined as college credit as obtained on AP and dual credit courses, CLEP or IB.
|Math 2412 (Pre-Calculus)||Must have earned a C- or better||Calculus I|
|Math 2413 (Calculus I)||Must have earned a C- or better||Calculus II|
|Calculus Advanced Placement (AP)||Score of 3 or higher||Calculus II|
|Calculus CLEP||Score of 50 or higher||Calculus II|
(IB) Mathematics (Higher Level)
|Score of 5 or higher||Calculus II|
Do I have to take the AMPT before my first, mandatory advising visit?
Yes, however, you will need to inquire with your advisor which AMPT test is best suited for you prior to registering. Upon test completion your advisor will be able to correctly recommend the appropriate course placement.
How do I schedule the AMPT?
Will you accept a math placement score from another institution?
No, only placement tests given on the UHCL campus by the UHCL Testing Center are accepted for placement into UHCL math courses.
Are calculators allowed?
Yes, calculators are provided by the Testing Center. Outside calculators are not permitted.
How soon are test results available?
The test results are available upon completion.
What did I score?
The Precalculus Placement Exam passing score is 65% or above, and earns placement in Math 2412 (Pre-Calculus); scores under 65% on the Precalculus exam earn placement in Math 1314 (College Algebra) course.
The Calculus 1 Placement Exam passing score is 80% or above, and earns placement in Math 2413 (Calculus 1). For scores 79% and under, students may need to take the Precalculus Placement exam in order to be placed into the correct Math course. Please contact your advisor to determine if you should take the Precalculus Placement exam.
What is the cost to take the AMPT?
The AMPT costs $10, payable at the time of online registration.
How often can I repeat the exam?
Students can only take the test once; it cannot be repeated.
- Biology, BS Cellular/Molecular/Biotechnology Specialization
- Biology, BS Ecology/Microbiology/Aquatic/Marine Specialization
- Biology, BS Physiology/Pre-Health Specialization
- Biology, BS Plant Specialization
- Chemistry, BA
- Chemistry, BS
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Environmental Science, Biology Specialization
- Environmental Science, Chemistry Specialization
- Environmental Science, Geology Specialization
- Mathematical Science, BA
- Mathematical Science, BA 7-12
- Mathematical Science, BS
- Mathematical Science, BS 7-12
- Mechanical Engineering, BS