Other Visa Holders

OIAP only provides immigration advice to F & J visa holders. However, the office will assist other types of visa holders (H-1B, TN, etc.) with the following:

  1. Holds on student accounts—Students who find that an international hold has been placed on their account, should contact an intladvising@uhcl.edu to inquire about having this hold removed.
  2. Permission for work authorization involving UHCL –Non-immigrants, who have questions pertaining to on-campus employment or work participation required for course credit, should contact an International Student Advisor for additional guidance.
  3. Changing to an F-1 status—Our advisors can assist non-immigrants who have been admitted to UHCL, and are interested in changing to an F-1 student status. This often happens with visa holders whose statuses prevent them from legally participating in internships, co-operative education courses, etc. Students interested in changing their status should contact an International Student Advisor. Changing status involves the USCIS and can take several months to complete. Students should begin the process as soon as possible.




  • International Student Services

    Phone: 281-283-2740
    Fax: 281-226-7038
    Email: intladvising@uhcl.edu

    Bayou Building B2123
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 225
    Houston, TX 77058-1002