Presidential Leadership through Service Living Learning Community
The Presidential Leadership through Service LLC challenges and equips residential students to maximize their leadership potential and make a positive impact within and outside of their campus community.
Emerging student leaders in this living community will focus on service to others, their community, and the world. Areas of focus include, but are not limited to:
- Leadership Development
- Service to Others
- Civic Engagement
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Health and Wellness
- Community Partnership
- Easily make new friends and participate in activities together
- Develop new leadership skills for your future career
- Earn a Certificate of Leadership
- Sign the Presidential Leadership through Service pledge
- Completion of ten hours of community service per semester
- Completion of ten hours of service in the community garden
- Completion of all LLC eligibility requirements
Also, take advantage of study lounges, community kitchen, student lounges and modern living spaces in Hunter Hall.
How to Participate
Participation in this LLC is a year-long commitment — fall and spring semesters. Students must possess a desire to develop their leadership potential, engage in community service, and demonstrate a strong passion and commitment to making a difference in the lives of others.
Participation and attendance at programs/events/initiatives may be conducted in-person or virtually. To be eligible, students must:
- Be enrolled as full-time undergraduate or graduate students at UH-Clear Lake
- Live in Hunter Hall
- Maintain at least a 2.5 GPA each semester
- Participate in The Big Event, UHCL Cares Day, and attend at least two LLC programs/initiatives per semester
- Participate in one general campus event per semester
- Complete ten hours of community service
- Complete ten hours of service in the community garden
- Attend all monthly mixers/dinners with campus and community leaders
- Join at least one student organization
In partnership with Dr. Comeka Anderson Diaz and the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership, the Presidential Leadership through Service LLC provides a safe space for students to maximize their leadership skills, think critically about the world around them, engage in social justice and service to others, focus on the importance of health and wellness, and interact with community partners.
- Connection with a faculty member
- Bi-monthly mixers/dinners with university leadership, faculty, alumni, and community partners
- Leadership Development – a focus on strengths, Social Change Leadership Development Model, workshops, and more.
- Service to Others – focus on servant leadership, volunteering at The Big
- Event, and other service events.
- Civic Engagement – public policy 101, making an impact with voting, community organizing, and more.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – intro to social justice, hot topic discussions (privilege, microaggressions, racism, etc.), heritage month programs, and more.
- Health and Wellness – focus on personal wellness, physical wellness, mental wellness, healthy eating habits, and more.
- Community Partnerships – virtual chats and workshops with community leaders, local community service, and more.
- Community garden work outside of Hunter Hall
- Virtual retreat/meeting
- Students will recall the Social Change Leadership Development Model.
- Students will recognize three benefits from engaging in service to others.
- Students will illustrate their understanding of civic engagement and social justice through application of knowledge to a variety of situations and public policies.
- Students will describe the relationship between health and wellness and accomplishing lifelong goals.
- Students will cite three benefits from creating and participating in a community garden project.