Committed to Student Success
Attending a university involves more than just earning credits. Most students will require some level of assistance during their college journey as well, whether it's with their coursework, overall wellness, or getting involved on campus. The Division of Student Affairs exists to offer this support for all students, with consideration for their academic and personal needs.
The Division of Student Affairs is dedicated to:
- Enhancing an inclusive and open community in which the contributions of all are valued. We recognize and are strongly committed to a multifaceted population of students, faculty, staff and community supporters.
- Responding to the needs of students and visitors with service that is friendly, respectful, helpful and convenient.
- Providing intentional learning activities and experiences to put into practice theories learned in the classroom and providing a supportive environment for students to build and practice skills that foster professional and personal development.
- Supporting students' ability to identify values and pursue goals they hold fundamental to successful living.
- Developing a love of inquiry and learning that students will utilize throughout their lifetimes.
- Collaborating with faculty and staff to integrate the student development perspective with the academic programs of the university.
- Encouraging interactions with our partners in the community.
- Challenging ourselves to continuously explore ways to improve our competencies and services.
- Campus Recreation and Wellness
- Career Services
- Counseling Services
- Dean of Students Office
- Health Services
- Orientation and New Student Programs
- Student Assistance Center
- Student Conference for Research and Creative Arts
- Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Student Housing and Residential Life
- Student Involvement and Leadership
- Student Publications
- UHCL Pearland Student Affairs
Programs and Services
Vice President for Student Affairs
The Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) is the chief student affairs officer and has the primary responsibility for leading the division and its programs, services, and activities to support and enhance the learning environment and contribute to student success. The VPSA reports to the president and serves as a member of the cabinet.
Aaron Hart joined the UHCL leadership team in July 2019 from University of North Carolina at Charlotte, where he served as the associate vice chancellor for Student Affairs for two years. While in that role, he assisted in the strategic planning process for the Division of Student Affairs by implementing the vice chancellor's vision and goals and working closely with senior campus officials.
Among Hart's major accomplishments was the coordination of a $57 million construction plan for a new residence hall. He also directed and supervised the strategic development and overall administration of the Office of Housing and Residence Life, Off-Campus Student Relations, and the UNC Charlotte Niner Choice Program, a safety initiative for off-campus living.
Prior to UNC Charlotte, Hart served at Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis, first as the director of Housing and Residence Life and then as the associate dean of students. While there, he participated on the Indiana University Housing Task Force, which conducted a system-wide review to optimize the business practices of housing operations across all Indiana University campuses.
His broad, effective experience with critical components in the field and his genuine investment in the growth and development of all students are exactly what UHCL needs for our ongoing efforts to better prepare students for success in an increasingly complex world.