Research Assistant

Faculty members of the College of Science and Engineering (CSE) hire student Research Assistants (RAs) to work on research development awards, externally funded grants and contracts, and other types of research projects. The number of available RA positions vary because these positions are supported by specific research grants or other funding awards. If you are interested in an RA position, review our faculty listings to find a faculty member whose research interests match your own. Then contact them to see if RA positions are available. 

How to Apply

You may print a digital version of our Research Assistant Application to complete. Alternatively, a physical copy of an application may either be requested from the secretaries within your academic department, or requested at the front desk in the CSE office (Suite 3611 of the Bayou Building). Upon fully completing the CSE Research Assistant Application form and any other department or program-level application requirements, securing a faculty recommender's signature (if required by the department), and signing, return the form to your academic department or program per their instructions.

To be considered for employment as a Research Assistant, the applicant must be:

  • Eligible for enrollment and planning to take courses during the current and/or following semester.
  • Must meet minimum GPA requirements for enrolled students and be in good academic standing.

Students who have been selected for employment must complete the appropriate paperwork available through the UHCL Office of Human Resources Website. All new workers or workers who have not been employed by UHCL within the past 12 months must document their eligibility to work within the Office of Human Resources before working. You will not be paid for work completed prior to fulfilling I-9 documentation requirements within HR.

Document your eligibility to work

Upon receiving IRCA clearance to work, additional paperwork is required to initiate your payroll assignment. If you have not done so already, complete the Research Assistant Application and obtain signatures from the faculty member for whom you will be working as a student RA.

Along with your green IRCA cleared slip and approved application, you will need to submit additional forms that you complete via University of Houston-Clear Lake - Temporary/Part-Time Employment Manual.

Complete Your Administrative Paperwork

Complete all forms in the following sections:

  • Section 1: The following forms are for ALL Employees to complete
  • Section 4: Nonresident Alien Employees on F-1, H-1, or J-1 Visas
  • Section 5: Student Worker Certification

Return your completed paperwork to Bayou Room 3611

  1. Direct your questions regarding your completed paperwork to Ceisly Delco (281-283-3822).
  2. Visit the UHCL Health Center site to learn more about health insurance available to UHCL students.

All Research Assistants must attend an orientation each semester when held by their academic department.


  • College of Science and Engineering

    Phone: 281-283-3700
    Advising: 281-283-3711

    Bayou Building 3611
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 415
    Houston, TX 77058-1002