Thesis Guidelines and Forms

There are three sets of guidelines that apply to the Master Thesis within College of Science and Engineering at University of Houston-Clear Lake: CSE Guidelines for a Thesis Proposal, UH-Clear Lake Thesis Formatting Guide and Library Formatting Requirements. CSE Guidelines are above and beyond the UH-Clear Lake Guidelines. Some colleges, including CSE, specify more details beyond the UH-Clear Lake guidelines.

CSE Guidelines - Thesis Proposal

The proposal should employ good grammar and proper sentence construction with correct spelling and punctuation. The proposal should be typed and well organized. If acronyms or very specialized words are used, a glossary of definitions should be available in the appendix. The proposal should be written as though the reader was a typical scientist or engineer and not a specialist on the topic of the proposal. Referenced publications or prior studies listed in the bibliography should be cited in the body of the proposal. Follow the Style Manual appropriate for your discipline as recommended by your Thesis Chair. For detailed information, please visit CSE Guidelines - Thesis Proposal.

UH-Clear Lake Guidelines - Thesis Formatting

These guidelines serve as the technical blueprint for the thesis. The responsibility of ensuring that these university guidelines are followed lies with the student, the thesis committee, the library, and the Office of the Associate Dean. The responsibility for the scholarship of the thesis lies directly with the student and the thesis committee, particularly the thesis chair, and indirectly with the Office of the Associate Dean. The completed thesis is an index of the scholarly ability of its author. The final copy must be a professional quality manuscript, correct in spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Ordinarily, future tense and the use of first person pronouns are not acceptable. For detailed information, please visit Library Guidelines- Thesis Formatting Requirements.

Library Guidelines- Thesis Formatting Requirements

Dissertations and theses that are submitted as partial fulfillment of the requirements for UHCL doctoral and master's degrees are preserved by UHCL's Alfred R. Neumann Library in three ways:

  1. One bound copy, recorded in the UH Libraries online catalog, is shelved in the Library's circulating collection. Scholars at UHCL or other institutions may borrow the circulating copy.
  2. Another bound copy is maintained in the UHCL Archives in Neumann Library. This copy may not be circulated.
  3. A third copy of the completed thesis (which may be printed on plain computer paper) is submitted to University Microfilms to be digitized and indexed in Dissertation Abstracts (a printed index) and Dissertations and Theses (an online database.) These indexing tools inform scholars of the primary literature created by students. Inclusion in these indexing tools is required by UHCL unless specific permission to withhold it is granted by the Associate Vice-President for Academic Affairs. Any dissemination of the text of your document by UMI is governed by the agreement that you sign with UMI, but submission of your document is required by the University in order to facilitate indexing and to offer one more place where your document is preserved.

As the repository for UHCL dissertations and theses, Neumann Library is charged with making sure the documents submitted for preservation meet the format standards of University Microfilms. Any other content, beyond the formatting listed in the Formatting Guide, is subject to the approval of your dissertation or thesis committee. For detailed information, please visit Library Guidelines- Thesis Formatting Requirements.

Guidelines For Research Involving Humans or Animals

If you are planning to conduct research that involves vertebrate animals or humans, you are required to include the appropriate application forms in your research proposal. You will subsequently be required to submit the application to the appropriate UH-Clear Lake committee (e.g., IACUC [Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee] or CPHS [Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects]) and receive approval before beginning any work on your research project. IACUC and/or CPHS applications and approval documents must be included in the final research report submitted.

The required information and application forms can be found at the locations listed below.

  1. For research involving vertebrate animals
  2. For research involving human subjects

Print out the appropriate forms, complete them and attach to your research proposal.

  1. Protection of Human Subjects
  2. CPHS Application Form
  3. Consent and Assent Forms
  4. Federal and University Guidelines


  1. Master's Option Course Enrollment
  2. Guidelines for a Thesis Proposal
  3. Thesis Sample Pages
  4. Registration Form and Record of Independent Study