Environmental Institute of Houston (EIH)
- Student researchers working with EIH have access to the additional resources listed below
- 5 research vessels including airboats and electroshocking boats
- 3 ATVs
- Acoustic and Radiotelemetry (VEMCO and ATS)
- Camera Traps
- Differential GPS and Total Stations and UAV equipped photography
- Fisheries and aquatic field sampling – experimental gill nets, trawls, electroshocking, seines, snorkeling, oyster dredges
- Automated ambient water quality monitoring profiling and hydrology ambient profiling instrumentation (YSI, Sontek, Hydrolab, Turner) and methodology.
- Plankton nets (towed bongo, single, neuston, and open-closing, micro CTD metered)
- Benthic dredges and trawls
- Microanalytical balance/top loading balance
- IR flourometers and spectrometers for chlorophyll measurements
- Digital camera equipped compound and dissecting microscopes
- HACH DR series spectrophotometers for individual analytes
Advanced Science Instrumentation Lab (ASIL)
- 1200 Series liquid chromatography-6120 Quadrupole MS system with a degasser, binary pump, column thermostat, UV-DAD, and fluorescence detector (LC/MS, Agilent) à For the analysis of semi-volatile compounds (SVOCs) in organic solvents
- Optima 7000 DV inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES, PerkinElmer) à For the analysis of metals and metalloids in water, soil and sediment
- 8350 Professional ion chromatography (IC) with conductivity and 844 UV/VIS detector (Metrohm) à For the analysis of anionic compounds in water
- Mercury analyzer, Direct DMA 80-ATS (Milestone) à For the analysis of mercury in water, soil, sediment, etc.
- 7890A gas chromatography - 5975C VL with a triple-axis mass detector and micro-ECD detector (GC/MS-uECD) (Agilent) à For the analysis of volatile and semi-volatile organic compound (VOCs and SVOCs) in organic solvents (Now in STEM)
- NMR and another LC-MS in STEM - Check Anton for the model numbers
Environmental Chemistry Lab
- Total organic carbon (TOC) analyzer
- Gas chromatorgraph with flame ionization detector (GC-FID) and headspace sampler
- Soxlet extractor/Solid Phase Extractor (SPE) / Sonic Extractor
- Water/soil sampler; Air sampling pump
- Incubator shaker
- Surface tension meter
- Walk-in cold room for sample storage
- Analytical balance/top loading balance
- UV-VIS spectrometers
- Sample preparation rooms for inorganic and organic analysis
- Other available from bayou (DI water system) + LC/MS (STEM) + Ramman spectroscopy (STEM) + FTIR (STEM)
Geoscience Research Laboratory
Rock Processing Facilities
- Table saw for production of Thin Section billets and preparation of rocks for crushing.
- Iron mortar and pestle for rock crushing.
- Sieves and sieve shaker to for grain size separation
- L-1 Frantz isodynamic laboratory magnetic separator for isolating mineral fractions of unique magnetic susceptibility
- Wifley Table (800 model) for separating high specific gravity from low specific gravity mineral separates
- Fume hood and heavy liquids for high density mineral separation.
- Our Zeiss Primotech D/A POL microscope provides transmission and reflectance polarized microscopy. The microscope is equipped with 5x, 10x, 20x, 50x, and 100x objective lenses and a digital camera.
- Our Leica DM750P microscopes come with 4x, 10x, and 40x objectives and a conoscopic lens.
Fluvial Processes Equipment
- EM3 River Model by Little River Research and Design to analyze fluvial processes. This analogue model can be used to study the effects of constructed barriers on fluvial processes, the impacts of changing base level, wave action, and much more.
- EMFlume1 Model by Little River Research and Design to evaluate fluid flow dynamics, river habitat hydraulics, and transport of sediments.
The hydrology lab has facilities and materials for sample collection and processing including:
- grain-size analyses
- soil and sediments sampling
- soil moisture testing
- water and soil chemical properties testing
- porosity/permeability testing
- hydraulic conductivities testing
- stormwater collecting and sampling
- infiltrometer for testing infiltration capacity and infiltration rate in the field
- flow meters and oven to dry sediments and soil
- soil column setting for column studies
- a variety of lab demonstration for teaching in Environmental Science and Geology.
- Additionally, there are ice room and cold storage room for the long-term storage and preservation of environmental samples (soil / sediment coring, biological tissues, etc.).
SYSCAL R1 Plus resistivity meter for medium-depth exploration for use in hydrophysical research. This instrument can be used to:
- locate conductive fault in fractured aquifers,
- assess water table characteristics,
- characterize salt water intrusion,
- monitor subsurface pollution,
- detect leaks and monitor degradation in waste disposal,
- locate and image buried structures
- detect and locate clayey layers for geotechnical application.
Licensed software includes:
- Visual for Modflow and MT3D for flow and transport simulation in aquifer
- Hdrus2D/3D for water and solute modeling in unsaturated zone.
- Various pubic domain software packages are also installed to provide opportunities to conduct research on contaminant fate and transport, seawater intrusion, flooding risk analysis, soil and groundwater water remediation, water quality simulation and other cutting-edge research topics in hydrological field.
Ecology and Toxicology Lab
- Two HotBlock digestors for tissue/soil/sediment heavy metals analysis
- Hach DR spectrophotometers and water chemistry analysis kits
- Various field meters: DO, salinity, TDS, pH, etc.
- Core and box sediment samplers
- Hach benchtop spectrophotometer for enzyme assays
- -80C ultracold freezer
- Nikon dissecting scopes
Environmental Science Lab
- Nikon light microscopes
- Water quality sensors (Total dissolved solids, dissolved oxygen, pH, turbidity)
- Air quality sensors (CO, CO2)
- Infrared temperature sensor
- Light intensity meter