The Texas Public Information Act (the "Act") entitles individuals to information about the affairs of government in Texas and the official acts of public officials and employees in Texas, unless otherwise expressly provided by law. A Texas Public Information Act request is a request for public information that is maintained by a Texas governmental agency, such as the University of Houston System and any of its component institutions (e.g.,the University of Houston ("UH"), University of Houston-Downtown ("UHD"), University of Houston-Clear Lake ("UHCL"), and University of Houston-Victoria ("UHV").
What Your Request Should Include
Your request should be in writing and should include:
- Your name and mailing address (so we can send you a response).
- Your phone number (so we can contact you with questions about how to respond to your request).
- A list or description of the specific information you are interested in obtaining, including time periods. Try to be as specific as possible about the information you are seeking. Please also specify which component institution (e.g., UH, UHD, UHCL, UHV) you are seeking the information from.
Where Your Request Should Be Sent
Your request should be sent to the University of Houston System’s Public Information Act Officer via mail, fax, email, or in person as follows:
- By mail or in person to 4302 University Drive (Office 311 of the E. Cullen Building), Houston, Texas 77204-2028 (Attention: Public Information Act Officer)
- By fax to 713-743-9179 (Attention: Public Information Act Officer)
- By electronic mail to email@example.com.
More information is available on the UH System Legal Affairs Public Information Act website.
How You Will Be Charged
You will be charged in accordance with the Act and as detailed in the following procedures:
How to Find Additional Information About the Act
For more information about the Act, you may wish to refer to the Public Information Act Handbook published by the Office of the Attorney General of Texas ("OAG").
How to Get a Copy of Transcripts or Other Student Information
In order to receive a copy of University transcripts or other student information, you should contact the Registrar's Office as opposed to submitting a Texas Public Information Act request.
For additional questions regarding student records contact:
Office of the Registrar
2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 86
Houston, TX 77058-1002
Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.