Academic Advising for College of Human Sciences & Humanities
HSH Office of Academic Advising is located in Bayou Building 1615. We are excited to assist you on your academic journey.
Having trouble locating us? Please contact us at email@example.com or call 281-283-3333.
Appointments must be scheduled at least a day in advance. No walk-in appointments permitted. Academic advisors are providing services through the following methods:
- Video appointments through Zoom
- Phone appointments
- Email appointments
- In-person appointments
Schedule an Appointment
Admitted students may schedule an appointment with their assigned academic advisor through the Navigate App.
For additional assistance, email your assigned academic advisor or call 281-283-3333.
Please see the staff listing below for assigned academic advisor emails and direct links to schedule an appointment.
For university and health alert updates related to Coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit the UHCL Health Alert webpage.
Visit the Office of Academic Advising for the College of Human Sciences and Humanities for help in exploring and achieving your academic, career and personal goals. Academic advisors are available to help you navigate the paths of UHCL by providing accurate and timely information, linking you to various campus resources and empowering you to understand your academic standing and the tools available to you.
With the Office of Academic Advising, you will be assigned your own academic advisor who is there to aid you throughout your college experience.
- Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Drop-in, Wednesday only 2:30–4:30 p.m.
By Appointment only. Appointments are available remotely, virtually, and in-person. Drop-in only available, Wednesday 2:30-4:30pm.
Your academic advisor can help with many things, such as:
- Choosing your degree plan and concentration.
- Declaring your minor.
- Major specific coursework.
- Graduate school.
We want to provide you the necessary tools to succeed at UHCL.
All undergraduate students are assigned an academic advisor when they are admitted to their program of study. To schedule an appointment, download the Navigate mobile app.
If you are an incoming undergraduate transfer student entering your first semester at UHCL with 30 or more hours, you will first connect with the Transfer Advising Office.
As a new transfer student, you will be required to complete the transfer advising process prior to registering for classes. Visit the Admitted Transfer Student page for more information.
If you have questions about your experience as an international student at UHCL, you should connect with International Advising. The International Advisors within the Office of International Admissions and Programs can assist you with questions about full-time enrollment requirements, restrictions on working in the U.S., traveling around the U.S. and other rules and responsibilities connected to your immigration status.
For questions related to your chosen undergraduate major, you should connect with your assigned academic advisor. All undergraduate students should download the Navigate mobile app to schedule an advising appointment.
If you are a graduate student then you should connect with the college advising center to determine your advising options.
Additional Information for HSH Graduate Students
Students pursuing a graduate degree in the College of Human Sciences and Humanities meet with assigned faculty advisors to receive academic advising. The program faculty advisors work closely with graduate students to align coursework and career goals while connecting students to important resources and experiential opportunities. Faculty advisors always work closely with graduate students in deciding which master's capstone experience is best as the culminating experience of their degree. Faculty advisors should be contacted directly for appointments. The HSH Office of Academic Advising does not make appointments for faculty. The Office of Academic Advising is available to graduate students to assist you with various administrative processes of the university and your graduate program.
Academic Advisors and Office Staff
For general questions and or support, please call 281-283-3333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Erick Ortiz, MPH, Director, Academic Advising | email@example.com
- Undergraduate Majors: Behavioral Science, Communication, Fitness and Human Performance, Psychology A-L, Undeclared
- Schedule an appointment with Erick Ortiz
- Jaelyn Buggs, M.A., Senior Academic Advisor | firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Graduate Majors
- Undergraduate Majors: Criminology and Criminal Justice, Social Work , Public Service Leadership, Serious Games and Simulations
- Schedule an appointment with Jaelyn Buggs
- Sara Sanchez, M.Ed., Senior Academic Advisor | email@example.com
- Geography, History, Psychology M-Z
- Schedule an appointment with Sara Sanchez
- Ashley Connelley, Academic Advisor | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Undergraduate Majors: Art and Design - Graphics & Studio Arts, Art & Design, EC-12 Teacher Certification, Anthropology, Humanities, Literature, Sociology
- Schedule an appointment with Ashley Connelley
- Rita Patel, Senior Academic Advisor (Transfer Advising) | email@example.com
- Undergraduate Majors: Nursing RN-BSN
- Janet Harreld, Administrative Assistant II | firstname.lastname@example.org
Students may use the above direct appointment links only if they are admitted to UHCL and assigned to that academic advisor. For further assistance please call 281-283-3333.