Health and Wellness
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides services for all UHCL employees and their dependents. The EAP benefit covers 3 confidential short-term counseling visits and is at no cost to employees and their families.
EAP services are not only free to all employees, their dependents and household members, but also confidential. The EAP can assist with many different types of problems. Among these are stress, depression, anxiety, workplace difficulties, substance abuse, marital problems, family or parenting conflicts, grief, violence, and unhealthy lifestyles. The EAP can also provide additional assistance, tools and referrals for:
- Childcare and Eldercare Resources with Referrals
- Financial and legal issues
- Free Interactive online simple will
- Free ID Recovery Services
- Rideshare reimbursement program (e.g. Uber, Lyft)
For more information and to access services:
- Call the EAP toll-free at 1-888-993-7650; or
- Go to www.deeroakseap.com
- Username & Password = UHCL
University of Houston-Clear Lake encourages employees to increase their well-being and productivity by enhancing all aspects of health. We strive to increase awareness of positive health behaviors, to motivate employees to voluntarily adopt healthier behaviors and to provide opportunities and a supportive environment to foster positive lifestyle changes.
The Fitness Program is available to all UHCL employees who are enrolled in HealthSelect and Consumer Directed HealthSelect health plans, and their eligible covered dependents. The program gives you access to a nationwide network of fitness locations. You can choose multiple locations, such as one location close to home and one near work, or visit locations while traveling. Other program perks include:
- Flexible gym network – A choice of gym networks to fit your budget and preferences. You can access digital-only content for as little as $10 per month, or choose from one of the four network options ranging in cost from $19 to $99 per month, plus a one-time $19 initiation fee.
- Studio class network – Pay-as-you-go option for classes and specialty gyms. You’ll get 30% off the 10th class you attend.
- Family bundle pricing – Expands gym network access to your covered dependents at a bundled price discount.
- And more!
To sign up or find out more information, go to the HealthSelect of Texas Website and log in to your BlueAccess for Members account. Click on "Fitness Program" under Quick Links on the left, where you’ll be redirected to WellonTarget. If you do not have an account yet, follow the prompts to create one. You can also call the Fitness Program toll-free at 888-762-BLUE(2583).
Fitness Release Time
Fitness Release Time provides all full-time, benefits-eligible, UHCL employees who have completed 6 months of service the opportunity to use 30 minutes of their regular work hours, up to three (3) times a week, to exercise or participate in physical fitness activities.
- Employees and their supervisor should work together to establish an appropriate arrangement for the use of Fitness Release Time along with any applicable work schedules.
- Participation in Fitness Release Time cannot interfere with the normal operations of the department and may be suspended or eliminated during peak operational times.
- Fitness Release Time is paid time which does not have to be made up. It may not be accrued, carried over or banked.
- Fitness Release Time is not considered work time for purposes of Workers’ Compensation. Injuries that may result during participation will not be treated as work-related injuries.
- Supervisors reserve the right to change, decrease, or cancel the time requested due to operational considerations.
- The requesting employee's work style and performance history should be considered when determining if approval is appropriate.
- Office coverage must be a priority when approving requested days and times for Fitness Release.
Specifics of the Fitness Release Time arrangement are established between the employee
and their immediate supervisor. Employees participating in Fitness Release time will
acknowledge their participation on the Fitness Release Time Acknowledgement form which
will be kept in Human Resources. Fitness Release Time participation will remain in
effect per semester and must be renewed at the beginning of each semester. Spring
semester approval covers the summer. Completed forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fitness Release Time Acknowledgement Form
The University of Houston-Clear Lake supports its faculty and staff who want to quit using tobacco products by offering tobacco cessation resources.
These resources offer helpful tips, information, social support, diversions from cravings, and reinforcement for one of the best decisions a tobacco user can make - to quit.
BlueCrossBlue Shield of Texas
- The basics of tobacco cessation
- Goal setting
- Learning how to manage and identify triggers
- Visit the Choose to Quit frequently asked questions to learn more.
Participants who finish the program will receive a certificate of completion. Additionally:
- Completion of the course will waive the surcharge you pay as a tobacco user
- Participants can earn Blue Points to be used in the Well on Target shopping mall
- Personal Health Assistants are also available by phone toll-free at (800) 252-8039.
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW - This free resource is supported by the tobacco settlement funds which were distributed
to individual states. Learn more about services provided by the quit line.
- YesQuit - This is an online smoking cessation program that the tobacco user signs up for.
Rather than telephone counseling, the intervention takes place online.
- American Lung Association Freedom from Smoking® Online Program - Evidenced based on-line program from the American Lung Association consisting of
eight self-paced modules, each containing four lessons, and an interactive message
board to assist you in quitting tobacco.
- Become an Ex - The EX plan teaches you how to live life without cigarettes in three steps - all
geared to help make the seemingly impossible possible. This free program was developed
at the highly respected Mayo Clinic and is endorsed by the National Alliance for Tobacco
- MD Anderson Cancer Center Tobacco Treatment Program offers tobacco-cessation services, including in-person behavioral counseling, telephone
counseling, web-cam counseling and several tobacco-cessation medication treatments,
at no cost to MD Anderson cancer patients who are current tobacco users (e.g., cigarettes,
smokeless tobacco) or recent quitters (those who quit within the past 12 months).
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently announced the launch
of BeTobaccoFree.gov, a comprehensive website providing one-stop access to the best and most up-to-date
tobacco-related information from across its agencies. This consolidated resource includes
general information on tobacco, federal and state laws and policies, health statistics,
and evidence-based methods on how to quit.
- Quit smoking with the National Cancer Institute QuitPal mobile app. By downloading NCI QuitPal for free from the App Store to your iPhone or iPad, you can instantly get help to quit smoking.
Full-time, benefits-eligible employees can earn eight (8) hours of Wellness Leave that can be earned every 12 months. This leave may be taken in increments of no less than 30 minutes and must be taken within 12 months of earning the leave, and can be used for any reason.
- To qualify for the Wellness Leave incentive, an eligible employee must complete an approved online Health Assessment, and receive an annual comprehensive physical exam or well women exam.
- Review the BCBS Health Assessment flier for details and instructions to access and complete the Health Assessment. After completing the Health Assessment, print out a Certificate of Completion.
- Have your physician verify your routine annual exam by signing the Physician's Certification for Wellness Leave form.
- Submit the Health Assessment Certificate and Physician’s Certification to your Benefits Coordinator for approval. Please do not submit any personal health information or results from the assessment. We only need confirmation both were completed.
Additional Wellness Resources
Just like your physical health, your mental and emotional health is an essential part of your overall wellness, deserving of your ongoing attention and care. The university is committed to promoting and supporting the health and well-being of its community by offering faculty and staff mental and emotional health resources and fostering a healthy workplace culture.
Counseling and Mental Health Center
Faculty and staff who may be struggling with such personal issues as anxiety, depression, feeling overwhelmed, family or relationship problems, coping with loss/grief, conflict management, self-esteem, body image and eating disorders can schedule a free, confidential appointment with Counseling and Mental Health Center to discuss concerns and obtain referral information for counseling resources in the community. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 281-283-2580.
UHCL Psychology Services Clinic
University of Houston-Clear Lake Psychology Services Clinic is a training and research clinic serving the greater Houston-Galveston area. Graduate students trained in evidence based assessment and therapy deliver most of the services under the direct supervision of professionally licensed and/or Ph.D. level supervisors.
The main services offered by the clinic include individual therapy for children, adolescents, and adults; marriage and couples therapy; and family therapy. Services are offered on a sliding-scale. The intake appointment is free and includes an initial assessment. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 281-283-3330.
Mental Health Benefits
Maybe at times you feel overwhelmed or have a personal or workplace issue that consumes your thoughts. Perhaps you, your child or your spouse is struggling with stress, depression or addiction. Your Behavioral Health benefit provides services to support your emotional and psychological well-being. All services are confidential.
The HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect medical plans, administered by BlueCrossBlueShield of Texas (BCBS), offer Mental Health Benefits. Call a Personal Health Assistant at (800) 252-8039 (Mon.-Fri. 7 am – 7 pm; Sat. 7 am-3 pm), for more information about your HealthSelect benefits and to find a mental health provider in the network.