Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a free, confidential service that offers assistance to help you balance your work and personal life. When life happens employees and family members can access services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We’ll offer you guidance and resources for coping more effectively with a variety of personal and work-related challenges. There is no cost to you.
- Three (3) free counseling sessions per issue.
- 30 minutes of free legal advice per issue.
- 30 minutes of free financial advice per issue.
- Free assistance with childcare resource referral.
- Free simple will (employee only).
To access services now call 713-500-3327 or visit the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) online at www.mylifevalues.com. When prompted for the user name and password, enter "uhs/uhs."
You can also call to schedule a free, confidential appointment with one of their many skilled professionals.
University of Houston-Clear Lake encourages employees to increase their well-being and productivity by enhancing all aspects of health. We strive to increase awareness of positive health behaviors, to motivate employees to voluntarily adopt healthier behaviors and to provide opportunities and a supportive environment to foster positive lifestyle changes.
As a UHCL employee if you are enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas or Consumer Directed HealthSelect you are eligible to join their Fitness Program. The Fitness Program is a flexible membership program you can use to visit any of more than 9,000 fitness centers nationwide for $25 per month. Program benefits include:
- flexible membership, no long-term contract required,
- easy online enrollment and automatic monthly payment withdrawal,
- the ability to track your fitness center visits online,
- unlimited access to a nationwide network of participating fitness centers
- the ability to earn Blue Points when you enroll and for weekly visits.
To enroll, search for a location or learn more about the program by logging in to your Blue Access for Members account and click Fitness Program under Quick Links. Visit www.healthselectoftexas.com.
Local particpating facilities include:
Anytime Fitness: Friendswood and League City
Fitness Connection: Clear Lake
LA Fitness: League City
Planet Fitness: Friendswood and Webster
Snap Fitness: Pearland and Seabrook
Fitness Release Time provides all full-time, benefits-eligible, UHCL employees the opportunity to use 30 minutes of their regular work hours, up to three (3) times a week, to exercise or participate in physical fitness activities.
- Employees and their supervisor should work together to establish an appropriate arrangement for the use of Fitness Release Time along with any applicable work schedules.
- Participation in Fitness Release Time cannot interfere with the normal operations of the department and may be suspended or eliminated during peak operational times.
- Fitness Release Time is paid time which does not have to be made up. It may not be accrued, carried over or banked.
- Fitness Release Time is not considered work time for purposes of Workers’ Compensation. Injuries that may result during participation will not be treated as work-related injuries.
- Supervisors reserve the right to change, decrease, or cancel the time requested due to operational considerations.
- The requesting employee's work style and performance history should be considered when determining if approval is appropriate.
- Office coverage must be a priority when approving requested days and times for Fitness Release.
Specifics of the Fitness Release Time arrangement are established between the employee
and their immediate supervisor. Employees participating in Fitness Release time will
acknowledge their participation on the Fitness Release Time Acknowledgement form which
will be kept in Human Resources. Fitness Release Time participation will remain in
effect per semester and must be renewed at the beginning of each semester. Spring
semester approval covers the summer. Completed forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fitness Release Time Acknowledgement Form
The University of Houston-Clear Lake supports its faculty and staff who want to quit using tobacco products by offering tobacco cessation resources.
These resources offer helpful tips, information, social support, diversions from cravings, and reinforcement for one of the best decisions a tobacco user can make - to quit.
BlueCrossBlue Shield of Texas
- The basics of tobacco cessation
- Goal setting
- Learning how to manage and identify triggers
- Visit the Choose to Quit frequently asked questions to learn more.
Participants who finish the program will receive a certificate of completion. Additionally:
- Completion of the course will waive the surcharge you pay as a tobacco user
- Participants can earn Blue Points to be used in the Well on Target shopping mall
- Personal Health Assistants are also available by phone toll-free at (800) 252-8039.
1. 1-800-QUIT-NOW - This free resource is supported by the tobacco settlement funds which were distributed to individual states. Learn more about services provided by the quit line.
2. www.quitnow.net/texas/ This is an online smoking cessation program that the tobacco user signs up for. Rather than telephone counseling, the intervention takes place online.
3. American Lung Association Freedom from Smoking® Online Program — Evidenced based on-line program from the American Lung Association consisting of eight self-paced modules, each containing four lessons, and an interactive message board to assist you in quitting tobacco.
4. Become an Ex — The EX plan teaches you how to live life without cigarettes in three steps - all geared to help make the seemingly impossible possible. This free program was developed at the highly respected Mayo Clinic and is endorsed by the National Alliance for Tobacco Cessation.
5. MD Anderson Cancer Center Tobacco Treatment Program offers tobacco-cessation services, including in-person behavioral counseling, telephone counseling, web-cam counseling and several tobacco-cessation medication treatments, at no cost to MD Anderson cancer patients who are current tobacco users (e.g., cigarettes, smokeless tobacco) or recent quitters (those who quit within the past 12 months).
6. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently announced the launch of BeTobaccoFree.gov, a comprehensive website providing one-stop access to the best and most up-to-date tobacco-related information from across its agencies. This consolidated resource includes general information on tobacco, federal and state laws and policies, health statistics, and evidence-based methods on how to quit.
7. Quit smoking with the National Cancer Institute QuitPal mobile app. By downloading NCI QuitPal for free from the App Store to your iPhone or iPad, you can instantly get help to quit smoking.
Employees are eligible to receive eight (8) hours of Wellness Leave that can be earned every 12 months. This leave may be taken in increments of no less than 30 minutes and must be taken within 12 months of earning the leave.
To qualify for the Wellness Leave incentive, an eligible employee must complete an approved online Health Risk Assessment (HRA), receive an annual comprehensive physical exam AND by submitting the Physician’s Certification for Wellness Leave signed by a licensed healthcare provider indicating that a physical examination has been completed.
1. BCBSTX HealthSelect members access Well onTarget and HA via Blue Access for Members at https://healthselect.bcbstx.com/
- The BCBS Health Assessment flier contains complete instructions on how to access the the assessment.
- If you already have a Blue Access Members account, simply log in.
- Once logged in, click on Well onTarget. If you have already registered for Well onTarget you will be automatically signed in.
- Take the Health Assessment.
- After completing the assessment, print out a Certificate of Completion.
- Submit the certificate and Physician's Certification for Wellness Leave to your Benefits Coordinator.
2. KelseyCare Members can access the Kelsey online health assessment via the KelseyCare Health Risk Assessment.
- The KelseyCare Assessment How-To contains complete instructions on how to access the assessment.
- Please note, to complete the assessment you will need your Member ID.
- Upon accessing the assessment, complete as much information as possible and submit.
- After successfully submitting the assessment you will receive a confirmation email to the email address on file with Community Health Choice.
- Submit the confirmation email and Physician’s Certification for Wellness Leave.
Please do not submit any of your personal health/medical information or results from your health assessment; we only need confirmation it was completed.
An overall healthy lifestyle focuses on many different aspects of health including
exercise, nutrition, sleep, social connectedness, and stress management. Here are
just a few helpful resources:
UHCL Campus Walking Map
The American Institute of Stress
The Importance of Sleep
Wellnicity: Your Guide to Healthier Living in Houston
Just like your physical health, your mental and emotional health is an essential part of your overall wellness, deserving of your ongoing attention and care. The university is committed to promoting and supporting the health and well-being of its community by offering faculty and staff mental and emotional health resources and fostering a healthy workplace culture.
Faculty and staff who may be struggling with such personal issues as anxiety, depression, feeling overwhelmed, family or relationship problems, coping with loss/grief, conflict management, self-esteem, body image and eating disorders can schedule a free, confidential appointment with Counseling Services to discuss concerns and obtain referral information for counseling resources in the community. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 281-283-2580.
University of Houston–Clear Lake Psychology Services Clinic is a training and research clinic serving the greater Houston-Galveston area. Graduate students trained in evidence based assessment and therapy deliver most of the services under the direct supervision of professionally licensed and/or Ph.D. level supervisors.
The main services offered by the clinic include individual therapy for children, adolescents, and adults; marriage and couples therapy; and family therapy. Services are offered on a sliding-scale. The intake appointment is free and includes an initial assessment. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 281-283-3330.
Maybe at times you feel overwhelmed or have a personal or workplace issue that consumes your thoughts. Perhaps you, your child or your spouse is struggling with stress, depression or addiction. Your Behavioral Health benefit provides services to support your emotional and psychological well-being. All services are confidential.
The HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect medical plans, administered by BlueCrossBlueShield of Texas (BCBS), offer Behavioral Health Benefits. Call a Personal Health Assistant at (800) 252-8039 (Mon.-Fri. 7 am – 7 pm; Sat. 7 am-3 pm), for more information about your HealthSelect benefits and to find a mental health provider in the network.
The KelseyCare health plan, administered by Community Health Choice, also offers behavioral health benefits. Call Beacon Health Options 24 hours a day, seven days a week toll-free at (844) 265-7587 for mental health and drug and alcohol abuse treatment services. You can also search for a provider online with Beacon Health (select your state, health plan: Community Health Choice – Employees Retirement System of TX (ERS), and your language) to conduct a search.