I will be graduating with my AAS and then continuing to pursue my Bachelors. Thank you, USA, for all of the help you have given me!
-Fran H. Williams (UHCL Staff Scholarship Recipient)
As both a UHCL student and employee (working in the Copy Center), Daisy Torres was known across campus for a love of both education and tamales. Daisy would often bring in extra tamales to share with her co-worker, Margaret Moreno. In 2011, in partnership with the Support Staff Association, they started an incredibly successful scholarship fundraiser called the Tamale Breakfast Table. Daisy's mother, Maria Guadalupe Torres, was the architect behind these delicious and heartfelt tamales.
In March of 2014, Ms. Torres lost her battle with breast cancer. Shortly after her passing, with the leadership and support from her beloved husband (a member of our dedicated UHCL Grounds Crew) and children, the Maria Guadalupe Torres Scholarship was born at UHCL. Daisy Torres went on to continue her education at UHCL and is now a Counselor at Lee College.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 15, 2022
Enrollment Period: Fall 2021
The USA Scholarship Committee seeks applications from qualified members. Financial need is not a factor in selecting a recipient; however, preference will be given to active USA members. Incomplete or illegible applications will not be accepted.
This scholarship opportunity is open to all USA members who meet the following criteria:
- Must be a full-time benefits eligible employee of UHCL at the time the scholarship is awarded and during the enrollment period
- Must have completed HR probationary period at the time of the award
- Must be enrolled in credit-based courses at an accredited institution (not UHCL-specific)
- Must meet all scholarship and essay criteria (review below)
- Must submit a complete application packet that includes required documentation and an essay
For additional information regarding this scholarship, please contact Dillon Nash, our Scholarship Committee Chair, via phone at ext. 2611 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org