John Decman, Ed.D
Educational Management Program Coordinator, Associate Professor of Educational Leadership,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- School Improvement
- Administrator Induction
- Implications of Federal and State Policy on Administrative Practice
- Decman, J., Badgett, K., Garrett, J., & Simieou, F. (2020). Supporting parents as strategic partners. Voices from the Field: Building Capacity for Leadership and Social Change in Rural Schools. ICPEL Press.
- Baker, S., Decman, J., & Willis, J. (2020, Fall). Talk or walk: School principals as instructional leaders. School Leadership Review.
- Badgett, K. & Decman, J. (2019). Fostering inclusive culture through partnerships with nonprofits. School Leadership Review. Fall, 2019
- Decman, J.M., Badgett, K., Shaughnessy, B., Randall, A., Nixon, L., & Lemley, B. (2017). Organizational leadership through management: Superintendent perceptions. Educational Management Administration & Leadership. Available at http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1741143217714255
- Badgett, K., Decman, J., & Carman, C. (Spring, 2014). The impact of teacher graduate degrees on student reading assessments. AASA Journal of Scholarship & Practice, vol. 11, No.1.
- McCarley, T., Peters, M. & Decman, J. (November, 2014) Transformational leadership related to school Climate: A multi-level analysis. Educational Management, Administration and Leadership.
- Decman, J., Badgett, K., Randall, A., Parmer, R., Coryatt, D., & Sanchez, J. (Fall, 2010). Superintendent practices and ISLLC standard one. AASA Journal of Scholarship and Practice, vol. 17.
- Grigsby, B., Schumacher, G. Decman, J. & Simieou, F. (June, 2010). A principal’s dilemma: manager or instructional leader. Academic Leadership Journal.
- Simieou, F., Decman, J., Grigsby, B., & Schumacher, G. (February 2010). Lean on Me: Peer Mentoring for Novice Principals. International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation, 11(1).
- Decman, J.M. & Simieou, F, III. (2009). Review of selected dissertations addressing school public relations, administrator communication, and conflict resolution, Journal of School Public Relations, 29(4).
Courses (Current Academic Year)
- ADSU 6030 Introduction to Educational Leadership
- ADSU 6132 Curriculum
- ADSU 6233 Principalship
- ADSU 6235 Administration of Special Programs
- ADSU 6237 Student Legal Matters
- ADSU 6333 Instructional Leadership
- ADSU 6436 School Resource Management
- ADSU 6437 School Law
- ADSU 6533 Appraisal of Teaching
- ADSU 6638 School-Community Relations
- ADSU 6735 Leadership Research Seminar
- ADSU 6739 Graduate Practicum
- EDLS 8030 Organizational Leadership
- EDLS 8330 Human Resources Management
- Principal induction
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2019 Educator of the Year Award, Texas Council of Professors of Educational Administration
- Nominated for the Minnie Piper Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Houston-Clear Lake