Learner-Centered Teaching and Learning for All
Follow your dream to become the best teacher possible by choosing a degree program in University of Houston-Clear Lake's Department of Curriculum and Instruction. We offer undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees that focus on the preparation and development of dedicated teachers and teacher leaders who will work with children from birth through elementary, middle and secondary school and beyond. Our focus is on preparing classroom teachers and other professionals who will work in positions that serve children and youth to understand and utilize the most effective and current teaching tools available to assist students in achieving academic success.
Small Classes. State-of-the-Art Training. Flexible Programs.
Dedicated professionals provide training based on the most current educational methodologies to prospective classroom teachers to inspire and educate children and youth at all levels. UHCL’s nationally acclaimed pre-service teacher certification Internship program, completed in the final semesters of study, provides aspiring teachers with fully supported, mentored, hands-on classroom experience in the public schools. For current teachers or others with an interest in education, deepen your knowledge, strengthen your credentials, and expand your influence by choosing one of our graduate degrees or our doctorate program.
Curriculum and Instruction
Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Care and Education B.S.
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.A.S. with a major in Early Childhood Education – Educator of Young Children
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.S. with Core Subjects EC-6 Certification (Early Childhood Concentration)
- Early Childhood Education M.S.
Core Subjects and Supplements
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.S. with Core Subjects 4-8 Certification
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.S. with Core Subjects 4-8 with ESL Supplemental Certification
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.S. with Social Studies 4-8 Certification
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.S. with Core Subjects EC-6 Certification (Reading Concentration)
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.S. with Core Subjects EC-6 with ESL Supplemental Certification
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.S. with Core Subjects EC-6 with Bilingual supplemental
- Interdisciplinary Studies B.S. with Core Subjects EC-6 and Special Education EC-12 Certification
Joint certificates with degrees from the College of Human Sciences and Humanities
- Literature B.A with Grades 4-8 English Language Arts and Reading Certification
- Literature B.A with Grades 7-12 English Language Arts and Reading Certification
- Geography B.S. with Social Studies 7-12 Certification
- History B.A. with Grades 7-12 Social Studies Certification
- History B.A. with Grades 7-12 History Certification
- Art and Design B.F.A. with Grades EC-12 Art Certification
- Fitness and Human Performance B.S. with Grades EC-12 Physical Education Certification
Joint Certificates with degrees from the College of Science and Engineering degrees
- Mathematical Science B.A. with Mathematics 4-8 Certification
- Mathematical Science B.S. with Mathematics 7-12 Certification
- Mathematical Science B.A. with Mathematics 7-12 Certification
- Biological Science B.A. with Life Sciences 7-12 Certification
- Minor in Early Childhood Education
- Minor in Special Education
- Minor in Teacher Education
- Minor in Instructional Technology