STEMHawks Noyce Scholarship
STEMHawks: Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program at University of Houston-Clear Lake
The STEMHawks: Noyce Scholarship Program at University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) is an innovative and collaborative Track 1 scholarship program initiative involving UHCL College of Education (COE), College of Science and Engineering (CSE), and eight K-12 school districts in metropolitan Houston. The program seeks to address the critical need for recruiting, preparing, and retaining highly effective secondary science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) teachers.
STEMHawks will recruit, train, and support at least 24 Scholars over a five year period (6 scholars/year) and up to 48 Interns from among STEM undergraduate majors, with priority given to underrepresented, low-income, and first-generation students.
As a STEMHawk you will have opportunities to engage in workshops and professional development that will support your growth in content and pedagogy. You will become part of the STEMHawks community at UHCL and part of the Robert Noyce Scholars nationwide.
Who Can Apply for STEMHawks Scholarship
- Full-time UHCL student entering the junior or senior year
- Declared major in a STEM discipline, with at least 12 STEM credit hours toward the degree
- Accepted into the UHCLTeach program
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Able to meet all teacher certification requirements
- Able to pass all criminal background checks, which are conditions for employment in Texas public schools
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
Upload the following documents to the STEMHawks Application:
- STEMHawks online application
- FAFSA form (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- two letters of recommendation from UHCL STEM or College of Education faculty
- one page essay about your teaching philosophy
- one-page essay about your motivation to teach
- transcripts from UHCL and other college-level institutions attended
- acknowledgment of commitment to teach in a high-needs school for at least two years for every year of Noyce funding received
To qualify for continuing scholarship consideration you must:
- maintain a minimum overall, education and STEM content major GPA of at least 2.5
- make adequate yearly progress in education and STEM coursework
- complete STEMHawks Renewal Application, including two-page essay on what you learned about teaching STEM in high-needs schools
STEMHawks Interns (freshmen and sophomores) explore STEM teaching as a profession through entry-level coursework and internships. These internships serve as marketing/recruitment tools for STEMHawks as well as opportunities for students to explore their interest in, and aptitude for, teaching.
- Current Informal Science Internships for STEMHawks
Armand Bayou Nature CenterEcoInterns in summer EcoCamp
Children’s Environmental Literacy FoundationLeadership of Citizen Science projects; Development of educational programs for classroom use; Participation in professional development activities
Environmental Institute of HoustonIndoor and outdoor classroom instruction for summer camps, fields trips, and STEM competitions
Lunar Planetary InstituteParticipate in research and education projects with Institute staff, enhancing both content and pedagogical content knowledge
UHCL Kids U/Hawk STEAM AcademySummer enrichment day camps (pK-12) in STEM
UHCL facultyUHCL STEM and STEM education faculty research partnerships
Who Can Apply for STEMHawks Internship
- Full-time UHCL student who have earned at least 24 hours of college credit, including 8 hours of STEM coursework (preference given to students who have attained sophomore status)
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- GPA of at least 3.0 overall, including 3.0 in education coursework and content courses in major.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Award No. (NSF 2151067).