Qualifications to Enter into Pre-Service Internship II
Students must meet the following requirements for admission to Pre-service Internship II:
- All Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) exams must be passed to be eligible for Internship II. Scores must be submitted by July 15 for fall Intern II participants and by December 15 for spring Intern II participants.
- Successful completion of Pre-Service Internship I with a grade of "B-" or better.
- Successful completion of all field experiences courses.
- A grade point average (GPA) of 3.000 or better in pedagogy courses, with a "B-" or better in Pre-Service Internship I.
- A GPA of 2.500 or better in specialization courses with grades of “C-“ or better in all other coursework at UHCL.
- Successful completion of TCED 4010.
- No more than six additional semester hours may be taken during Pre-service Internship II (TCED 4798 and TCED 4668). These additional courses must meet no earlier than 7 p.m., as they may interfere with Internship II course requirements. See a COE advisor for acceptable coursework.
- Current Internship I candidates do not need to apply for Internship II. The COE advising
staff will automatically conduct an audit of all Internship I candidates’ academic
records at the end of each semester to determine candidates’ eligibility for Internship
Internship II Program
The Interns are provided with experiences that will assist in the development and application of knowledge, skills and dispositions to continue their growth and development as new teachers. Interns will accept increasing responsibility for their development as professional educators. Intern II’s will demonstrate their ability to integrate and implement knowledge, skills and dispositions of effective teaching based on the UHCL Initial Certification Standards. Intern II’s will participate in ALL aspects of the professional role of teachers, including, but not limited to: professional committees and meetings; monitoring duty (cafeteria, bus lines, etc.); parent and student conferencing; extra-curricular activities with prior approval of the district supervisor; and, other assigned professional duties.
During the Internship II semester, the Intern will adhere to the instructional day of the PDS site Monday through Friday. The Intern II’s are responsible for understanding and applying school policies and procedures for their designated PDS and the Internship I and II Handbook. Throughout the Internship II experience, the Interns will continue to develop their knowledge, skills and dispositions as critical reflective thinkers while becoming self-confident and effective practitioners. Interns will continue the Internship II experience with their assigned Internship I mentor teacher and mentoring team. District supervisors will provide a calendar that gives dates and times for meetings and attendance requirements.