- HISD Student Observation Background checks are valid for the 2018-2019 calendar school year.
- Field Experience Requests and course rosters are to be submitted to CPDT.
- Students must obtain a letter/document (Program Observation or Field Experience Approval form) from their instructor, prior to their completing their online application, stating that they are required to complete observation/field experience hours. Failure of the student to upload this form to the application will eliminate the application from consideration.
- It is the responsibility of the instructor and/or the student to reach out to their desired campus to set up observations once they clear the background check. Please check the information at the following link: http://www.houstonisd.org/_findaschool.
- Once a candidate clears background, they will receive an automated approval email from Houston ISD.
- Houston ISD background checks are processed in up to two weeks from the date of submission.
- All student observers must complete an online application in order to be considered for observations.
- All student observers must pass a criminal background check before observations can begin. The process can take up to two weeks from application to final approval.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions located at www.houstonisd.org/StudentObserver.
- Click the "Apply Now" link on the right side of the page.
- Under the heading "Openings as of..." scroll down to "Student Observer", Job ID: 68914 Click on "Apply" to the right of "Student Observer".
- Click on "Start" to create an account, or "Login" to log in to an existing account. (If a student observer has previously created an account with HISD, the same account may be used to apply for student observations.)
- Complete the online application.
- Students must obtain a letter/document (Program Observation or Field Experience Approval form) from their instructor stating that they are required to complete observation/field experience hours. Upload the program observation or field experience approval form to the application, in the Supplemental Documents tab. Failure to upload this form to the application will eliminate the application from consideration.
- Click "Finish and Submit"
Criminal Background Check
The background check can take up to two weeks complete. Once the background check has been CLEARED, student observers are eligible for observations at any HISD campus.
An email confirmation will be sent from TeacherRecruitment@houstonisd.org to the student observer, which states approval for campus observations. The email confirmation can be provided by the student observer to the campus staff as proof of district approval.
Find a campus
Upon approval, student observers may contact any HISD campus to complete observations. Please check the information at the following link: http://www.houstonisd.org/_findaschool.