Field-Based Experience General Information
TEA Field Experience Regulations
TEA Regulations require 30 hours of field-based experience for initial licensure candidates prior to clinical teaching.
"§228.35.e.1: For initial certification in the classroom teacher certification class, each EPP shall provide field-based experiences, as defined in §228.2 of this title (relating to Definitions), for a minimum of 30 clock-hours. The field-based experiences must be completed prior to assignment in an internship or clinical teaching."
"The Texas Education Agency (TEA) continues to work with the Office of the Governor, Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) to coordinate and plan the state's response to COVID-19. TEA's role in these efforts is to help coordinate the flow of information from the state to districts, help districts solve problems, and provide guidance that will aid in districts' decision-making. TEA does not have the general authority to close schools for matters related to health."
Status of Field Experiences
The Center for the Professional Development of Teachers (CPDT) works with partner school districts to update field-based experience information. Please contact the CPDT Office with any questions.
The availability and mode of field experiences are determined by the individual districts. Districts have requested a 30-minute maximum time for observations and/or teaching by UHCL students visiting their campuses.
General Information for Field Experiences
- All field experience requests are due to the CPDT office by the 4th Friday of the start of the fall/spring semesters.
- Refer to the Field Experience Request Submission Instructions for the submission process.
- Refer to school district requirements for submission of applications and Criminal History Background Checks.
- Students must successfully complete all district requirements for application and background checks before their field experience request will be considered by the district.
- Allow at least two-three weeks for the district to process the field experience applications and background checks upon receipt.
- Instructors observing students on a district campus may be required to sign in and present a driver's license or state-issued ID.
- Students are not eligible to report to any campus until instructors have been notified.
- The CPDT office will communicate with school district personnel on behalf of COE regarding all aspects of the field experience process.
- Direct all field experience questions to the CPDT office via phone: 281-283-3612 or E-mail: email@example.com
Please include with your request the names of students whose UHCL and state identification records differ, the name under which they applied and completed the background check information and that which is listed on their state-issued identification.
Field-Based Experience Documentation
Instructors: Please ensure students provide the following information on their field-based experience documentation for your course. You may want to use something like this Sample Field Observation Documentation Log (Word).
- Student Name
- UHCL Student ID #
- Course Instructor Name
- Course Rubric
- Course Name
- Name of Classroom Teacher Observed
- Content Area
- Grade Level
- Date of Observation and/or Activity
- Start Time of Observation and/or Activity
- End Time of Observation and/or Activity
- Description of Observation and/or Activity
- Student Reflection of Field-Based Observation and/or Activity
- Signature of Teacher in classroom; course instructor; front office representative designee documenting visit