L. Jean Walker, Ph.D.
Professor of Marketing,
College of Business
Contact number: 281-283-3194
Dr. Walker is a professor of Marketing at UHCL. She received her B.A. cum laude from West Virginia University, MBA from Florida Atlantic University, and Ph.D. in Marketing from Florida State University.
- “Introducing the Work Spouse: A Hidden Influence Agent in Personal and Household Decision-Making.” (2022). Leisure Studies. Published online (June 18). With James A. Mead. https://doi.org/10.1080/02614367.2022.2088837.
- “Organizational and Customer Moderators of Service Recovery on Consumer Forgiveness in Healthcare,” (2022). Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior. Vol.35. Available at https://jcsdcb.com/index.php/JCSDCB/article/view/472.
- “Services Gone Wrong: Investigating Cause and Affect,” (2020) Journal of Customer Behaviour 19(1) (spring), 73-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.1362/147539220X15874775191985
- “The Effect of Consumer Emotions on Outcome Behaviors Following Service Failure.” (2019) Journal of Services Marketing 33(3) (June 10) 285-302. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSM-04-2018-0124
- “The Critical Role of Customer Forgiveness in Successful Service Recovery.” (2019) Journal of Business Research (95), 376-391. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.07.049
- “The Role of Cause and Affect in Service Failure,” Journal of Services Marketing 26(2), (2012) 115-123.
- “Customer Prioritization in Higher Education: Targeting ‘Right’ Students for Long Term Profitability.” Journal of Marketing for Higher Education 20(2), (2010), 191-208.
- “Examination of the Factorial Structure of Service Quality: A Multi-Firm Analysis,” Service Industries Journal 22(2) (April, 2002), 59-72.
- “The Measurement of a Market Orientation and Its Impact on Business Performance,” Journal of Quality Management, Special Issue on Customer Satisfaction 6, (2001) 139-172.
- “The Measurement of Word-of-Mouth Communication and an Investigation of Service Quality and Customer Commitment as Potential Antecedents,” Journal of Service Research 4(1), (2001) 60-75.
Courses (Current Academic Year)
Primary teaching responsibilities include Principles of Marketing, Brands and Brand Management, Services Marketing, and Sports Marketing, at the undergraduate level and Executive Decisions in Marketing at the graduate level.
Dr. Walker's research focuses on services marketing, including service quality, service
failure, consumer emotions, service recovery strategies, consumer forgiveness, word-of-mouth,
and reconciliation. Other areas of research include customer reviews, brand orientation,
strategic positioning, and the marketing of higher education. Her research has been
published in numerous academic journals including:
- Academy of Marketing Studies Journal
- Business Horizons
- International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing
- Journal of Applied Business and Economics
- Journal of Business Research
- Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing
- Journal of Consumer Marketing
- Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior
- Journal of Education for Business
- Journal of Marketing Channels
- Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice
- Service Industries Journal
- Journal of Services Marketing
- Journal of Service Research
- Journal of Strategic Marketing
- Journal of Quality Management
- Leisure Studies