Stay Healthy, Hawks: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

Process and Policies

Enrolling in an education abroad program can be a very rewarding educational experience. However, it also involves a significant amount of planning and preparation, especially regarding timeline, eligibility and course approvals.

The first step is to attend an Education Abroad 101 Information Session through the Office of Education Abroad and Scholar Services at University of Houston-Clear Lake. Students may also contact us via email at Please indicate your interest in an education abroad program and we will assist you with the process and answer your questions. 

Depending on your desired program, it could take up to a year to appropriately coordinate all the steps involved in studying abroad. Because the length of preparation depends upon situations unique to individual students, we recommend students begin the planning process two semesters before the desired start of the program. For example, if you are planning to study abroad during the summer semester, you should start planning the fall semester of the previous year.

Choosing an Education Abroad Program

Before choosing an education abroad program, students must first attend an Education Abroad 101 Information Session. Education Abroad advisors can guide you based on the area of study, cost and location.

Exciting study-abroad opportunities located all over the world are available to UHCL students. Students can participate in shorter programs or spend a full semester abroad. Programs range from language and cultural studies to service-learning projects that help local people and communities.

Explore Our Destinations

Know Your Programs and Destination

After attending an Education Abroad 101 Information Session, students can select the program and the destination that most fits their interests and career goals. Our offices will assist in completing the education abroad application.

BEFORE committing to an education abroad program, the courses must be evaluated by your college Advisor and Dean to assure all credits received during time abroad will transfer back to UHCL. Participating students must complete an Education Abroad Course Approval Form and must receive approval from the college and department responsible for their degree program before participating in any education abroad program. Approved courses should match your current degree plan, and a copy of both your degree plan and the finished Education Abroad Course Approval Form must be forwarded and on file in the Education Abroad Office before the program begins. Students will be unable to continue the application process until the Education Abroad Course Approval Form is approved and signed by the respective college.

For more information, please email