University of Houston-Clear Lake Faculty-Led Programs
Faculty-led education abroad programs offer students an international experience with University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) faculty members. These programs encompass UHCL courses taught abroad, enhanced by the location, excursions, and cultural activities. They provide UHCL students an opportunity to work with a UHCL faculty member in a specific area of study and country.
UHCL's Education Abroad program ensures that faculty-led programs are academically rigorous, financially accessible, and integrated with courses of study. The Office of Education Abroad and Scholar Services (EASS) provides administrative support for UHCL faculty to teach UHCL coursework abroad through faculty-led education abroad programs. We are particularly interested in programs that:
- Engage students with faculty research and areas of expertise
- Offer cross-college collaborations, blended classrooms, and service or internship opportunities
- Will be offered on a continuous basis and led by multiple faculty within the department
- Aligns with the UHCL's Diversity and Inclusion Initiative
- Thoughtfully serve students and disciplines underrepresented in the study abroad community
- Foster relationships with institutions overseas and expand study abroad opportunities for UHCL students in a broad range of academic disciplines
Why Lead an Education Abroad Program?
While UHCL students have a variety of education abroad options available to them from our partner providers, UHCL faculty-led education abroad programs provide students with the opportunity to have an international experience with UHCL faculty while enrolled in UHCL courses.
Excursions, field experiences, and cultural activities are built into the program, leveraging the location to enhance learning. Many provide opportunities for students to visit non-English speaking countries while doing their coursework in English. Class sizes are small allowing for an intimate learning environment. Faculty can share their knowledge and interest of another country and culture while at the same time work closely with students, helping shape their experience both in and out of the classroom through meaningful engagement abroad. UHCL is committed to creating a global campus.
If you are a faculty member who would like to initiate a faculty-led education abroad program, you must first submit a proposal and have it approved by your college dean and EASS. You must also review the Faculty-Led Education Abroad Program Proposal for detailed information on the review process, criteria and timelines.
Steps to Creating a Faculty-Led Program
- Discuss the concept for your program with your department chair and Education Abroad and Scholar Services. Obtain your college and Dean support for permission to offer an education abroad program.
- Discuss your teaching load and compensation options with your College
- Review the Education Abroad website and manuals
- Consult the Forum on Education Abroad Standards of Good Practice to learn about programming best practices
- Attend an information session to discuss your concept or schedule a meeting with EASS.
- Set up meetings with your departmental administrator to gather information you will need to fill out the proposal and the spending plan. We strongly recommend that you use a Sample Budget Sheet to gather this information. Submitting a proposal with inaccurate information will delay the review of this program.
Before submitting a proposal, faculty should be prepared to:
- Submit proposed program itinerary
- Submit a Budget Sheet
- Confirm the program location is not listed with a "Do Not Travel" red advisory on the Department of State Travel Warning List.
- Confirm the program is not a duplication of an existing UHCL program
How to Submit a Proposal
- Complete and submit an online proposal form:
- Visit www.ea.uhcl.edu
- Log in using your UHCL credentials
- Select 'Faculty/Staff Program Proposal & Resources'
- Select ‘Submit Proposal’ by the deadlines listed below:
|Spring semester & December/January winter break||April 1|
|Fall and summer semesters||October 31|
Eligibility: Full-time faculty and lecturers are eligible to submit a Faculty-Led Education Abroad Program Proposal. This form must include departmental signatures.
Proposal Workshops: Faculty and lecturers are encouraged to attend a faculty-led program proposal workshop, co-facilitated by The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) and Education Abroad. The date and location of the next workshop will be determined soon.
Proposal Review Process & Timelines
Faculty-led program proposals must be reviewed and approved by the faculty's department chair and college dean.
Proposal is then submitted to EASS online for review and final approval.
Education Abroad and Scholar Services will review proposals based on affordability, marketability, sustainability, and risk management. During the review process, our office may request a meeting to resolve any questions they have about the proposal.