J-1 Employment

J-1 Employment

As a J-1 Exchange Visitor, you do not require additional permission for employment authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You may receive authorization from an Alternate Responsible Officer in the Office of International Admissions and Advising.

J-1 Students: You must receive authorization from the Alternate Responsible Officer before the first scheduled day of employment. Authorization can be granted for up to 12 months at a time.

As an exchange student, any employment in which you participate must:

  1. Be pursuant to the terms of any scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship you have received
  2. Occur on the University of Houston-Clear Lake campus
  3. (If occurring off campus) support any serious, urgent, and/or unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since your acquired exchange visitor status
  4. (If involving Academic Training) enhance to your field of study. Following the completion of their program,
    • Undergraduate and Graduate students are eligible for up to 18 months of authorized academic training.
    • Postdoctoral students are eligible for up to 36 months of academic training.

Short-Term Scholars: You are eligible to participate in activities sponsored by UHCL , as stated on your DS-2019. As a Short-Term Scholar, you may also engage in occasional lectures or consultations. To do so, you will need to obtain written authorization from an Alternate Responsible Officer prior to the date of the event.

Specialists: You are only eligible to participate in the activities and at the locations listed on your DS-2019. While in the U.S., you cannot fill a permanent or long-term position of employment.

Professor or Researchers


  • International Student Services

    Phone: 281-283-2740
    Fax: 281-226-7038
    Email: intladvising@uhcl.edu

    Bayou Building B2123
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 225
    Houston, TX 77058-1002