The Environmental, Health and Safety Department offers a variety of safety training courses through different methods including in person, online, videos, and blackboard. We offer these classes not just for regulatory requirements, but also to enrich our employee's knowledge and awareness of risks to empower a safe and healthy work atmosphere, and ensure that everyone goes home better than they came in, without incident.
Safety Training Offered: This is a list of Safety Training Classes that are available through EHS by either in person, video loan, or online. Contact us to schedule a Training class, borrow materials, for questions or additional needs.
Driving Safety Training
All employees (faculty, staff, temporary, student workers) that drive on University business are required to take Driver's Safety Training.
- This includes any type of vehicle (utility vehicle, forklift, shuttle, van, truck,
- University owned or rented vehicles, and personal vehicles when used for University business.
- Ownership of the vehicle determines whose insurance is used first in the event of an accident. University insurance is used secondary after rental or personal insurance limits are met.
- Driving Safety Training is offered by the State Office of Risk Management (SORM) on every 1st Tuesday and 3rd Thursday each month via zoom.
- The SORM Driving Safety certificate is typically good for three years. If you are involved in an accident, you may be required to take the next available course.
Lab Safety Training
Please see the Laboratory Training Matrix for safety training required to work in a UHCL laboratory.
Topics include Lab Safety Training for students, Advanced for TA's RA's and employees, Waste handling, Autoclave, Disinfection, and Blood Borne Pathogens, radiation, etc. See also the training section on the Lab Safety page for more information.