Skip Top Navigation

Occupational Safety

Keeping Our Campus Safe

At the University of Houston-Clear Lake, we care about the safety of our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the surrounding community. To mitigate occupational hazards on campus, the Occupational Safety and Industrial Hygiene division investigates, consults, trains, performs risk assessments, and develops programs campus wide regarding a wide variety of safety related topics.  

Our department also investigates all accidents on campus, including those involving students and visitors. Employee accident investigations are coordinated with the department of Human Resources, who coordinates with the State Office of Risk Management (SORM) for worker's compensation claims.  Links for reporting accidents may be found under Forms

SORM also periodically performs campus safety inspections. Please notify our department with any safety concerns you may have about your work area or on campus. 

In this section you will find information about:

Hot Work

Hot Work Permit and Procedures – This permit is required when performing any work that involves burning, welding, using fire- or spark-producing tools, or that produces a source of ignition. Contact the University Fire Marshal's office 281-283-2250 for questions concerning any work being performed on campus that may require a Hot Work Permit.

Issuance of a Hot Work Permit means that the work will meet the requirements for Fire Prevention, adequate Ventilation, and proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to safeguard the employee from hazards such as eye damage, burns, and fumes that may be hazardous to their health – which varies based on the materials used.

The requirements for a Hot Work Permit are detailed in the Procedures that precede the permit application. Review of the procedures will help the applicant understand ahead of time what conditions will be required for permit approval.

Food Safety

Whenever food is sold or distributed on campus, public food safety rules come into effect and a temporary food permit must be obtained.  This applies to employees, students, and community visitors distributing or selling food.  Applicable requirements are summarized in the Temporary Food Permit Policies and Procedures.

The food permit application must be submitted online at least two weeks in advance at Environmental, Health and Safety - Permit Requests.  Login credentials are the same as your campus computer login.

Applicants must acknowledge they have read the Temporary Food Permit Policies and Procedures when applying by signing a Declaration of Acknowledgement.  This declaration signature page must be uploaded first into the online permit system by an applicant before the permit request may be submitted.

Should the online permit system be down, or if you are not a UHCL student, faculty, or staff and are renting out UHCL facilities for a public event, you may submit the food permit application to

Learn About Permits and Forms


  • Environmental, Health and Safety

    Phone: 281-283-2106

    North Office Annex I
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 362
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.