Policies and Procedures
The Office of Special Events is a client service department which provides a centralized standard of excellence, quality and protocol to the UHCL family. Our clients include internal and external partners such as the President, Provost, Vice Presidents, Alumni Engagement, Colleges, Development Officers, Centers, Institutes and Community Partners.
Office of Special Events
The Office of Special Events is located in the Bayou Building, Office of University Advancement, 2nd Floor, Room 2508
What We Do
The Office of Special Events strives to have high quality events that impact the image of University of Houston-Clear Lake and will advance the institution's mission by having one central office design, consult, manage and execute events within budgetary parameters that are followed by trackable activity reports that illustrate success and identify areas of improvement. These services will be budgeted and designed to keep your event on track, as a result last minute changes may result in additional fees.
- Help develop high profile, high-impact events for the university and community members
- Produce special events and initiatives for the President, Administration, Colleges, and Centers
- Serve as a resource regarding procedural protocol and for all things associate with special events
Types of Events and Services
An internal event is one that is organized by the Office of Special Events on behalf of another university office, college, department or institute for the benefit of and in support of the mission of the university.
An external event would be one that is organized by the Office of Special Events on behalf of any community supporter or company that would like to utilize space on campus for their company meeting, employee gathering or event that would reach out for support from the Office of Special Events.
Types of Event Services with Request of Office of Special Events
- Reservation of Space/Event Diagram Set Up
- Event Logistics Support
- COVID Safety Precautions
- Communications/Media Assistance
- Signage Support
- Police Coverage
- Greeters/Volunteer Support
- Catering Consulting
- Rehearsal Scheduling
- Meeting Scheduling to Move Event from Start to Completion
- Debriefing to review event and discuss areas of improvement
Formally Requesting Event Assistance
Requesting Event Assistance from the Office of Special Events
Please submit an online Special Events Form four weeks prior to the day of the event. A 30-minute initial meeting will be requested after submission of event form for a global overview of outcomes of events.
Advance Timing to Request Event Assistance
The Office of Special Events would prefer four weeks in advance from the date of the event for services. *If there is a rush of less than four weeks of time to prepare, there could be an additional charge. All rushes and approvals will require signatures for agreement.
Spaces to Host Events on Campus
- Bayou Theater (may have cost associated)
- Bayou, Atrium I
- Bayou, Atrium II
- Bayou, Garden Room
- Bayou, Forest Room
- SSCB Lecture Hall
- STEM Lecture Hall
- Campus Recreation Center (may have cost associated)
- Campus Recreation Center (Outdoors) (may have cost associated)
- Bayou Patio (Outdoors)
- Alumni Plaza (Outdoors)
- Potter Pond (Outdoors)
- UHCL at Pearland - Conference Room
- UHCL at Pearland - Lecture Hall
The Office of Special Events can assist you in lining up an event budget that will support all your needs and costs to host the event considering space rentals, catering, printing, parking, photography, video, décor and more.
Other Campus Event Resources
You are welcome to reserve a space on your own through the Scheduling Office or the Office of Special Events can handle reserving the facility request as a service to your event.
The University of Houston-Clear Lake has an agreement that gives exclusive rights to Chartwells to operate their on-campus food service operation. The Office of Procurement & Payables serves as the liaison between Chartwells and UHCL. The Office of Special Events can provide UHCL's catering as a service to your event.
The Office of Special Events can assist you with marketing, photography and or digital support.
University police can help support security at most events. For more information on Police services, please visit the University Police website or the Office of Special Events can provide security as a service to your event.
Parking rules and regulations can be found here or the Office of Special Events can provide parking coordination as a service to your event.
For information on booking the Theater, please visit the Bayou Theatre section or contact Eric Despard, Director of Theater & Cultural Arts, via email at email@example.com. The Office of Special Events can inquire booking the theater as a service to your event.
Accessibility Support Center/ADA Compliance
For information on providing accessibility support or making sure your event is ADA compliant, visit the Accessibility Support Center or the Office of Special Events can make these accommodation for you.
Office of Information Technology
For technology and equipment event support, visit OIT or the Office of Special Events can provide this support to your event.
Event Support Contacts
- Lori Lopez, Director of Special Events: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary Washington, Facilities Scheduling Coordinator: email@example.com
- Eric Despard, Director of Theater & Cultural Arts: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michaelangelo Quiballo, Patio Café Catering Manager: email@example.com
- Campus Police: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parking Department: email@example.com
- Accessibility Support Center: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office of Information Technology: email@example.com