Kwok-Bun Yue, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science and Computer Information Systems,
College of Science and Engineering
Bun Yue (B.S., M.Phil., Physics, Chinese University of Hong Kong, M.S., Ph.D., Computer Science, University of North Texas) is a Professor of Computer Science and Computer Information Systems at University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL). His research interests are in concurrent programming, Internet computing, semi-structured data, and information systems and computer science education. He has published more than 40 papers, and is the principal investigator of 10 external grants with a total amount of $1.8 million. He is a member of the senior editorial board of the Journal of Information Systems Education. Dr. Yue was a recipient of the UHCL Distinguished Teaching Award (1993), the UHCL Piper Award (1994), the UHCL Alumni Association Outstanding Professor Award (2011), and the UHCL Fellowship (2002). Dr. Yue had served in the administrative role of the chair of the Division of Computer and Mathematics, the Computer Science program, and the Computer Information Systems program for 16 years. He has consulted a number of companies, including serving briefly as a CTO of a startup company. He is currently a member of the UHCL QEP Leadership Team.
Areas of Expertise
Concurrent programming, database, Internet computing, computing education.
- K., Al-Mubaid, H., & Wei Wei. W, An Investigation Dimension for Understanding and Characterizing Computing Disciplines. Proceedings of the 23rd Americas Conference on Information Systems AMCIS, Boston, MA, USA, August 2017.
- Wei, Wei, and Yue, K. "Concept mapping in computer science education." Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges 32.4 (2017): 13-20.
- Wei, W., & Yue. K., Using Concept Maps to Assess Students' Meaningful Learning in IS Curriculum. Proceedings of the EDSIG Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, Volume 2, n2473, November 2016.
- Wei, W. & Yue, K., Using Concept Maps to Teach and Assess Critical Thinking in IS Education, Proceedings of the 22nd Americas Conference on Information Systems AMCIS, San Diego, California, USA, August 2016.
- Yue, K. & Wei, W., Incorporating Applied Critical Thinking into Computer Information Systems Curriculum under a University-Wide Initiative, Proceedings of the EDSIG Conference, Wilmington, NC, Volume 8, n3474, November 2015.
- Beisner, E., Wiggins, N., Yue, K., Rosales, M., Penny, J., Lockridge, J., Page, R., Smith, A. & Guerrero, L. Acoustic Flame Suppression Mechanics in a Microgravity Environment. Microgravity Science and Technology (2015): pp.1-4.
- Yue, K., Using a Semi-Realistic Database to Support a Database Course, Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE), Volume 24, Number 4, 2013, pp327-336.
- Yue, K., Hall, S., Burns, C., Page, R., Lockridge, J., Cusco, P., Wu, L. & Wiggins, N., Undergraduate Research Experience through the NASA Microgravity University Program, Journal of Computer Sciences in Colleges, Volume 28, Number 4, pp. 58-66, 2013.
- Kim, D., Yue, K., Al-Mubaid, H., Hall, P. & Abeysekera, K., Assessing Information Systems and Computer Information Systems Programs from a Balanced Scorecard Perspective, Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE), Volume 23, Number 2, 2012, pp177-192.
- Yue, K., A Realistic Data Cleansing and Preparation Project, Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE), Volume 23, Number 2, 2012, pp205-216.
Courses (Current Academic Year)
- (U) Data Structures
- (U) Advanced Data and File Structures
- (U) Design of Database Systems
- (U) Artificial Intelligence Programming Language
- (U) Ada Programming Language
- (U) Concurrent Programming With Ada
- (U) Object-Oriented Design And Programming
- (U) Web Application Development/Software Tools
- (U) Software Development With Java
- (G) XML Applications Development
- (G) Applied Database Development
- (G) DBMS
- (G) Artificial Intelligence
- (G) Expert Systems
- (G) Distributed Information Systems
- (G) Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- (G) Research Methods
- (G) Capstone Projects
Dr. Yue's research interests are in concurrent programming, Internet computing, semi-structured data, and information systems and computer science education.
Awards and Accomplishments
- UHCL Alumni Association Outstanding Professor Award and UHCL Alumni Association's Faculty Fellowship, 2011.
- UHCL University Faculty Fellowship, 2002.
- Distinguished alumni of Computer Science, University of North Texas, April 1997.
- UHCL's nominee for the Texas State Piper Professor Teaching Award, 1994. Seven times finalist, UHCL's nominee for the Texas State Piper Professor Teaching Award.
- Recipient, the 1993 UHCL President's Distinguished Teaching Award/Enron Teaching Excellence Award.