Kalanka Jayalath, Ph.D.
Program Chair and Associate Professor of Statistics ,
College of Science and Engineering
- Ph.D. in Statistical Science, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX
- M.S. in Statistics, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX
- BSc in Mathematics (special), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Areas of Expertise
- Bayesian Statistics
- Data Mining
- Experimental Designs and Regression Modeling
- Spatial Statistics: Point Pattern Analysis
- Survival Analysis
- Gupta, B. C., Guttman, I., Jayalath, K. P. (2020) “Statistics and probability with applications for engineers and scientists”. John Wiley & Sons.
- Jayalath, K. P., Gunst, R. F., Meltzer, D. J (2021). “Spatial Characterization of the Large Rock Patterns in Blocks C, X, and Y", The Mountaineer Site: a Folsom Winter Camp in the Rockies, B.N. Andrews, D.J. Meltzer and M. Stiger, editors. University Press of Colorado, Louisville, CO.
- Eifert, E. P., Jayalath, K. P., Chhikara, R. (in press). “Survival Analysis for the Inverse Gaussian Distribution: Natural Conjugate and Jeffrey’s Priors”. Emerging Topic in Statistics and Biostatistics: Bayesian Inference and Computation in Reliability and Survival Analysis.
- Jayalath, K. P., & Turner, J. (2021). “Analysis of Means (ANOM) Concepts and Computations”. Applications and Applied Mathematics: An International Journal (AAM) 16(1), 75-96.
- Jayalath, K. P. (2021). “Fiducial Inferences on the Right Censored Birnbaum Saunders Data via Gibbs Sampler”, Stats 4(2), 385-399.
- Jayalath, K. P., & Ng, H. K. T. (2020). “Analysis of Means (ANOM) Approach in Advanced Designs”. Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 36(3), 501-520.
- Jayalath, K. P., & Chhikara, R. (2020). “Survival Analysis for the Inverse Gaussian Distribution with the Gibbs Sampler”. Journal of Applied Statistics.
- Jayalath, K. P., & Ng, H. K. T. (2018). “Analysis of means approach for random factor analysis”. Journal of Applied Statistics, 45(8), 1426-1446.
- Jayalath, K. P. (2018). “A machine learning approach to analyze ODI cricket predictors”.
- Journal of Sports Analytics, 4(1), 73-84.
- Jayalath, K. P., Ng, H. K. T., Manage, A. B., & Riggs, K. E. (2017). “Improved tests for homogeneity of variances”. Communications in Statistics-Simulation and Computation,
- 46(9), 7423-7446.
- Faculty Development Fund (FDF), University of Houston - Clear Lake. 2016, 2017, and 2019
- Conference Travel Grant: PI: “A Graphical Test for Testing Random Effects in Common Statistical Designs”, Department of Mathematics, Central Michigan University. 2016
- Research & Creative Activity Grant: PI: “Modeling Spatial Data”, funded by Office of Research and Sponsored Projects, Stephen F Austin State University. 2015
- Invited talk: “A Bayesian Survival Analysis for the Inverse Gaussian Data”, International Conference on Statistical Distributions and Applications, ICOSDA 2019, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Presented research work: “A Bayesian Approach for Survival Analysis with the Inverse Gaussian Data”, Conference of Texas Statisticians 2019, Lamar University, Beaumont, TX.
- Invited talk: “A Graphical Test for Testing Random Effects”, Conference of Texas Statisticians 2017, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX.
- Invited talk: “A Graphical Test for Testing Random Effects in Common Statistical Design”,
- International Conference on Statistical Distributions and Applications, ICOSDA 2016, Niagara Falls, Canada.
- Invited talk: “Spatial point patterns in geometrical structures”, Conference of Texas Statisticians 2015, University of Texas, Austin, TX
- Presented research work: “An Application of Spatial Point Processes”, Joint Statistical Meetings 2014.
- Guest Speaker: “Geometrical Pattern Identification Using Bayesian Paradigm”, The College of Sciences and Mathematics & The R. W. Yeagy Colloquium 2014, Nacogdoches, TX.
Awards and Accomplishments
- Austin Statistics Journal
- Insight-Statistics Journal
- Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation
- Journal of Applied Statistics
- Cogent Mathematics
- Applications and Applied Mathematics: An International Journal (AAM)
- Stats Journal
- Soft Computing
- American Statistical Association
- International Statistical Engineering Association