Youssef Hamidi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor Mechanical Engineering,
College of Science and Engineering
Office: STEM 2232
Youssef Hamidi earned his Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering in 2004 from University of Oklahoma and his Ingenieur D'Etat (combined MSc/BSc) in Mechanical Engineering from Ecole Mohammadia d'Ingenieurs in Morocco. He has more than 19 years of academic experience at four different universities, with positions ranging from research assistant to assistant professor to associate professor. Prior to joining the University of Houston-Clear Lake team, Hamidi worked as a senior research associate at the University of Oklahoma. He also has more than 20 years of industrial experience.
Areas of Expertise
Dr. Hamidi's expertise includes the analysis, manufacturing, characterization and design of advanced composites and nanocomposite materials.
Selected (2017 - Present)
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Guloglu GE, Hamidi YK and Altan MC, Moisture absorption of composites with interfacial storage. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 134: 105908. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesa.2020.105908
- Icduygu MG, Asilturk M, Yalcinkaya MA, Hamidi YK and Altan MC, Three-Dimensional Nano-Morphology of Carbon Nanotube/Epoxy Filled Poly (methyl methacrylate) Microcapsules. Materials, 12(9):1387, 2019. DOI:10.3390/ma12091387
- Hamidi YK, Yalcinkaya MA, Guloglu GE, Pishvar M, Amirkhosravi M and Altan MC, Silk as a Natural Reinforcement: Processing and Properties of Silk/Epoxy Composite Laminates. Materials, 11(11):2135, 2018. DOI: 10.3390/ma11112135
- Hamidi YK and Altan MC, Process Induced Defects in Liquid Molding Processes of Composites. International Polymer Processing, 32(5): 1-18, 2017. DOI:10.3139/217.3444
- Barraza HJ, Hamidi YK, Aktas L and Altan MC, Performance of Glass Woven Fabric Composites with Admicellar-Coated Thin Elastomeric Interphase. Composites Interfaces, 24(2): 125-148, 2017. DOI:10.1080/09276440.2016.1193345
- Hamidi YK, Guloglu GE and Altan MC, Accurate Characterization of Moisture Absorption in Polymeric Materials. 006846, SPE Plastics Research Online, 2017. DOI:10.2417/spepro.006846
- Smith RJ, Hamidi YK and Altan MC, Processing and Properties of Carbon Nanotubes/Glass/Epoxy Nanocomposites, In: Processing of Nanocomposite Polymers. In Press, Hanser, Munich, Germany, 2019.
- Hamidi YK and Altan MC, Process-Induced Defects in Resin Transfer Molded Composites. In: Beaumont, P.W.R. and Zweben, C.H. (eds.), Comprehensive Composite Materials II. vol. 2, pp. 95–106. Elsevier: Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2018; pp. 95–106, doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-803581-8.09902-1.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
- Menjivar S, Cotton L and Hamidi YK, Effect of Silk Treatment on Silk/Resin Wettability, Proceedings of the 2020 International Conference of Advanced Research in Applied Science, Engineering and Technology, ICARASET'20, 2020.
- Hamidi YK, Berrado A and Altan MC, Machine Learning Applications in Polymer Composites. Proceedings of the Polymer Processing Society, PPS-35, 2019.
- Amirkhosravi M, Pishvar M, Hamidi YK and Altan MC, Accurate Characterization of Fiber and Void Volume Fractions of Natural Fiber Composites by Pyrolysis in a Nitrogen Atmosphere. Proceedings of the Polymer Processing Society, PPS-35, 2019.
- Hamidi YK, Berrado A and Altan MC, Prediction of Moisture Saturation Levels for Vinylester Composite Laminates: A Data-Driven Approach for Predicting the Behavior of Composite Materials. Proceedings of the Polymer Processing Society, PPS-34, 2018.
- Hamidi YK, Yalcinkaya MA, Guloglu GE, Pishvar M, Amirkhosravi M and Altan MC, Manufacturing Silk/Epoxy Composite Laminates: Challenges and Opportunities. Proceedings of the Polymer Processing Society, PPS-34, 2018.
Courses (Current Academic Year)
- ENGR 1201 Introduction to Engineering
- MENG 3303 Solid Mechanics
- MENG 3324 Introduction to Materials Science
- MENG 3344 Introduction to Manufacturing Processes
- MENG 4391.01 Composite Materials
Dr. Hamidi has extensive experience in the analysis, manufacturing, characterization and design of advanced composites and nanocomposite materials. His research thrusts include improving cost-effective manufacturing processes and characterizing composite durability through modeling, simulation and experimentation. These broad-based topics span the fields of organic chemistry, applied mechanics, and processing science with industrial applications in the aerospace, energy and automotive industries.
Awards and Accomplishments
- 1st Prize of the Grand Prix pour l’Invention et la Recherche en Science et Technologie, Morocco, 2007 Edition.
- Two articles made the Top 10 Downloaded articles, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 2008.
- Article ranked 3rd Top Downloaded article, SAGE Publications, 2005.
- Robberson Conference Presentation Travel Grant Award, Graduate College, OU, 2004.
- Graduate Student Academic Achievement Award, AME, OU, 2004.
- Phi Kappa Phi Honors, OU Chapter, 2004.
- Conference and Creative Exhibition Award, Graduate Student Senate, OU, 2003.