Frequently Asked Questions

Through meaningful and engaging connections, academic advising at University of Houston-Clear Lake empowers you to make informed, responsible decisions in pursuit of your goals. Academic advisors value the holistic needs of each student, partner with them to navigate university processes, and connect them to the appropriate campus resources to support their goals and success.

How do I make an appointment with my academic advisor?

You can schedule an appointment in Navigate, or you can call our front desk at (281) 283-3711. We offer in-person, virtual (Zoom), phone, or email appointments. All appointments are 30 minutes long. Because advisors will often have back to back appointments, we have a policy that if a student is more than 10 minutes late for their appointment, they will have to reschedule.

  • In person appointment: Full in-depth appointment for schedule planning, registration, probation advising, etc. We can handle any advising needs using this appointment type.
  • Virtual (Zoom): Full in-depth appointment for schedule planning, registration, probation advising, etc. We can handle any advising needs using this appointment type, but you’ll need a stable internet connection.
  • Phone: Can do most advising needs, but students can’t see what we are doing and what they are doing. This can make it more challenging to explain degree plans, electronic advisement report, or if a student is having trouble with registration.
  • Email: Best for short questions or basic requests (need a copy of CPS, have a question about a pre-requisite, etc.)

How do I find my academic advisor?

Your academic advisor and their contact information is available on both E-Services and also in Navigate. You can also see your assigned academic advisor on our Academic Advising website. Our office is located in Bayou 3611.

How do I know that I have been accepted into my major?

New undergraduate students (both freshmen and transfer) will receive an admission letter and packet from the Office of Admissions with information on next steps. Continuing undergraduate students change their major with their academic advisor. Graduate students (new or changing majors) will receive an admission letter from the College of Science & Engineering. This letter will list the semester, major, any assigned foundation courses, and faculty advisor information.

How should I register for my first semester classes?

Incoming freshmen students will meet with an academic advisor at a registration event prior to their first semester. The academic advisor will guide them in their course selection. Transfer students will meet with an academic transfer advisor to help them select classes and prepare for their first semester.

Graduate students register for any foundation courses that need to be completed, then your UHCL program core courses for which you have already completed the foundation(s). Please contact your faculty advisor with other questions on course selection (using the contact information in your admission letter), and if you have trouble with enrollment for class, please contact your assigned academic advisor. 

How do I register for a controlled class (departmental consent)?

Certain graduate and undergraduate courses require you to obtain special permission to register. These are known as controlled courses; you cannot register for them online through your E-services account. You must complete the Controlled Class Form and submit it to the Associate Dean.  (If the course is an internship, undergraduates should consult with their academic advisor and graduate students should speak to their faculty advisor for additional information.) If approved, you will be enrolled into the course. After you have submitted the form and waited a reasonable time for processing, check your E-services account to confirm that you have been enrolled in the course; then you must submit payment by the fee payment deadline.


  • College of Science and Engineering

    Phone: 281-283-3700
    Advising: 281-283-3711

    Bayou Building 3611
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 415
    Houston, TX 77058-1002