Jana Willis, Ph.D.
Department Chair and Professor of Literacy, Library Science, and Learning Technologies,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- Serious Games in the PK-12 Classroom
- Integration of Technology in Learner-Centered Instruction
- EC-12 Technology Applications
- Instructional Technology/Educational Technology
- Instructional Design
- Willis, J., & Shulsky, D. (in press). Early lessons in an introductory technology course: The evolution of teacher candidates' conceptualization of social justice. In L. Nganga (Ed.), Social justice education, globalization & teacher education. New York, NY: Peter Lang.
- Willis, J., Steel, D., & Dodo Seriki, V. (2014). Instructional technology and the heterogeneous nature of the gifted and talented. In L. Lennex and K.F. Nettleton (Eds.), Cases on instructional technology in gifted and talented education. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Willis, J. (2014). Web 2.0 technologies for facilitating learning and assessment: Insights into the use of technology in online and hybrid learning environments. In A. Hirumi (Ed.), Grounded designs for online and hybrid learning: Trends and technologies (pp. 95-102). Washington, DC: International Society for Technology in Education.
- Willis, J.M. & Cifuentes, L. (2003). Moving beyond the training environment to a vision of technology integration in the classroom curriculum: A case study. In J.J. Hirschbuhl & D. Bishop (Eds.), Annual editions: Computers in education 04/05 (pp.33 – 36). Guilford, CT: McGraw-Hill/Dushkin.
- Willis, J. (2015). Examining technology and teaching efficacy of preservice teacher candidates: A deliberate course design model. Current Issues in Education.
- Willis, J.M. & Weiser, B., & Smith, D. (2015). Increasing Teacher Confidence in Teaching and Technology Use through Vicarious Experiences within an Environmental Education Context. Applied Environmental Education and Communication.
- Willis, J., & Weiser, B. & Kirkwood, D. (2014). Bridging the gap: Meeting the needs of early childhood students by integrating technology and environmental education. International Journal of Early Childhood Environmental Education.
- Willis, J., & Kirkwood, D. (2013). Developmentally appropriate technology for young children. Early Years: The Journal for the Texas Association for the Education of Young Children 34(1), 25-27.
- Kirkwood, D., Shulsky, D & Willis, J. (2014). Beyond piñatas, fortune cookies and wooden shoes: Using the world wide web to help children explore the whole wide world, Childhood Education.
- Sawyer, C., Peters, M., & Willis, J.M. (2013). Self-efficacy of beginning counselors to counseling clients in crisis. Journal of Counselor Preparation and Supervision 5(2), 30-43. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7729/52.0042
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2015 Texas State Teacher Association – Advisor of the Year
- 2014 Texas State Teacher Association – Advisor of the Year
- 2013 Student Government Association – Advisor of the Year
- 2013 UHCL Million Dollar Club