Laurie Weaver, Ed.D.
Professor of Bilingual and Multicultural Education,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- Bilingual/ESL Teacher Preparation
- Dual Language Education
- Biliteracy Development
- Sheltered Instruction
Harris-Russell, C., McDonald, D. M., Jones, L., & Weaver, L. (2016). The continuum of lens through which teachers view cultural differences: How perceptions impact pedagogy. Journal of Family Strengths. 16(5), 1-32.
Sawyer, C. B., Nelson, J., Márquez, J., & Weaver, L. (2013, December). Elements of a bilingual school counselor training program for Spanish speakers. VISTA 2013(1).
Chapman, S, Ortloff, D., Weaver, L., Vesey, W., Anderson, M., Marquez, M., & Sanchez,
M. (2013, October). Moving in unexpected directions: Texas elementary uses exploratory
research to map out an evaluation plan. JSD, 34(5), 18-23.
Selected Funded External Grants
Márquez, J., & Weaver, L. R. (co-principal investigators) (2012-2017). Collaborating for the Academic Success of All (CASA), Title III, U.S. Department of Education, $1,550,642.
Márquez, J., & Weaver, L. R. (co-principal investigators) (2007-2012). Collaborative Teaching of English Language Learners (CTELL), Title III, U.S. Department of Education, $1,255,824.
Awards and Accomplishments
- Texas Association for Bilingual Education Board Member (2008-2020)
- Program Coordinator Studies in Language and Culture (2000-2020)
- Instructional Supervisor McWhirter PDLS, University of Houston-Clear Creek Independent School District (2007 to present)
- University of Houston-Clear Lake Faculty Fellowship (2015-2016)
- University of Houston-Clear Lake Distinguished Service Award (2013)
- University of Houston-Clear Lake Distinguished Teaching Award (2004)
- UHCL Minnie Piper Award in Education (2004)