Terry Shepherd, Ed.D.
Associate Dean and Professor of Special Education,
College of Education
Dr. Shepherd was appointed the associate dean of the College of Education in September
2022. Previously, he worked at Indiana University South Bend for 15 years, where he
served as the associate dean and director of accreditation for seven years. He was
also a department chair for nine years. Prior to his tenure at Indiana University
South Bend, Dr. Shepherd was a faculty member at Texas A&M International University
in Laredo, Texas, for nine years.
Dr. Shepherd received his Ed.D. in Special Education from Ball State University, his Master of Science in Special Education from Indiana University South Bend, and his Bachelor of Science in Social Science Education from Indiana State University. He has more than 40 years of experience in education, including teaching history, teaching students at a residential treatment facility, and teaching children with emotional and behavioral disorders in public schools. He holds teaching certificates in Texas in secondary history and secondary English.
Areas of Expertise
- Teaching students with emotional and behavioral disorders
- Classroom management
- Shepherd, T. L., & Linn, D. (2014). Instructor’s Manual and Ancillary Materials for Behavior and Classroom Management: Proactive, Active, and Reactive Strategies. SAGE Publications.
- Skarbek, D. M., Shepherd, T. L. (2013). Knock, knock: Who’s there? The funny teacher: The funny teacher Who? Exactly! The need to use humor in the special education classroom. Israeli Journal of Humor Research, 1(4), 57-77.
- Kurtz, K. K., & Shepherd, T. L. (2011). Meeting the needs of children with disabilities in Africa: Reflections from Ethiopia. Journal of International Special Needs Education, 14(1), 22-31.
- Shepherd, T. L. (2010). 정서행동장애학생의 이해와 교수전략 (Working with Students with Emotional and Behavior Disorders: Characteristics and Teaching Strategies). Sigma Press, South Korea.
- Shepherd, T. L. (2009). Working with Students with Emotional and Behavior Disorders: Characteristics and Teaching Strategies. Pearson-Merrill.
- Teaching strategies for children with emotional and behavioral disorders
- Attrition and retention of special education teachers
- Classroom management
- English language learners in special education
Awards and Accomplishments
- School of Education Distinguished Alumnus Award, School of Education, Indiana University South Bend
- Scholar of the Year, College of Education, Texas A&M International University