Shanna Graves, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Early Childhood Education,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- Pre- and In-Service Teacher Education
- Teacher Beliefs
- Graves, S.L. (primary investigator), Smith, J., & Moss, J. (co-investigators) (2012-2013). Creating Early Childhood Environments that Are Conducive to Learning: What Do Teachers Think...and Do?, Center for Research, Evaluation and Advancement of Teacher Education (CREATE), $3,000.
- Graves, S.L., Stevenson, T.N., & Zamani-Gallaher, E.M. (2013). A needle in a haystack: The search for African American female teachers in K-12 education. In E.M. Zamani-Gallaher & V.C. Polite (Eds.), African American females: Addressing challenges and nurturing the future (pp.79-101). Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press.
- Graves, S.L. (2013). Enhancing pre-service teachers' perceptions of parenting: A glimpse into My Virtual Child. MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 9(1), 106-115.
- LeDoux, C., Graves, S.L., & Burt, W. (2012). Meeting the needs of special education students in inclusion classrooms. Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals, 7(1), 20-31.
- Graves, S.L. (2010). Mentoring pre-service teachers: A case study. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 35 (4), 14-20.
- Hoston, W.T., Graves, S.L., & Fleming-Randle, M. (2010). Individual practices to increase the graduation rate of African-American students at predominately White colleges and universities. Journal of College Orientation and Transition, 18 (1).
- Simieou, F., & Graves, S.L. (2010, August). Home visits to increase parental engagement. Proceedings of the National Council of Professors of Educational Administration, Washington, DC.
- Graves, S.L. (2012). Using dialogue journals in field experience: Prospective teachers' perceptions of its value. Presented at the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Smith, J., Chvala, T., & Graves, S.L. (2012). Teachers' perceptions of implementing highly-scripted, commercial reading programs: Reflection, internal conflict, and efforts to embed best literacy practices. Presented at the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Graves, S.L., & Huss-Keeler, R. (2011). Developing new perspectives on diversity: The influence of diversity education on early care and education professionals and the children they teach. Presented at the National Association for the Education of Young Children Annual Conference and Expo, Orlando, FL.