Elizabeth Beavers, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Special Education,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- Special Education and Early Childhood
- Developmental Disabilities
- Language and Literacy Development
- Instructional and Intervention Pedagogy
- 2012: A place for us: Creating an authentic learning environment for pre-service teachers, NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) Conference, Atlanta, GA
- 2012: Fostering critical reflection in an authentic learning environment, CSOTTE (Consortium of State Organizations for Texas Teacher Educators) Conference, Austin, TX
- 2012: Creating an authentic learning environment for pre-service teachers, NAECTE (National Association for Early Childhood Teacher Educators) conference
- 2010: Relationships and Learning in the Classroom, ACEI (Association for Childhood Education International) Conference, Phoenix, AZ
- 2010: Emotional Antecedents of Preprimary Teacher Learning, MSERA Conference, Mobile, AL
- Kirkwood, D. & Beavers, E. (2013). Benefits of excellent articulation agreements for child development and early childhood students. Position Paper: Texas Early Learning Council.
- Beavers, E. & Kirkwood, D. (in press). Creating authentic, inclusive early childhood learning environments for teacher candidates. Dimensions of Early Childhood.
- Kirkwood, D. & Beavers, E. (in press). Be the change you wish to see in your center. Child Care Information Exchange.
Research interests include emotional dimensions of teaching and learning in early childhood, instructional ecology, and teacher education (to include emphasis on critical thinking and critical thinking dispositions).
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2013 Teacher Educator of the Year, HAAEYC (Houston Area Association for the Education of Young Children)
- 2013 with Dr. Donna Kirkwood, Exemplary Faculty Practice awarded by CREATE/ Quest for Quality: Excellence in Teacher Preparation and Research in Teaching