Elizabeth Beavers, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Special Education,
College of Education
Contact number: 281-283-3513
Office: Bayou Suite B1325
Areas of Expertise
- Early Childhood Special Education
- Decision-making and reflective practices
- Emotional dimensions of teaching and learning
- Instructional and Intervention Pedagogy
- Beavers, E. (2019). Facilitating effective decisions to improve outcomes for preschool age students. Instructional Leader 32 (3), 5-8.
- Beavers, E.A., Orange, A., & Kirkwood, D. (2017). Fostering critical and reflective thinking in an authentic learning situation. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 38(1), 1-16. doi:10/1080/10901027.2016.1274693.
- Beavers, E., & Summerville, C. (2017). Perspectives of developmentally appropriate practice in Texas. Early Years, 38 (2), 13-15.
- Beavers, E. A., & Kirkwood, D. (2014). Be the change you wish to see in a center. Child Care Information Exchange. Sept/Oct., 8-13.
- Beavers, E. (2016). Chapter 1: You and Early Childhood Education, in G.S. Morrison, Fundamentals of early childhood education, 8th ed. Columbus, Ohio: Pearson.
- Beavers, E. (2016). Chapter 6: Observing and Assessing Young Children, in G.S. Morrison, Fundamentals of early childhood education, 8th ed. Columbus, Ohio: Pearson.
- Beavers, E.A., & Jain, P. (2017). Benefits of Excellent Articulation Agreements for Child Development and Early Childhood Students in Texas Early Childhood Education Degree Articulation Toolkit. Position Paper. Houston: Texas Early Learning Council.
Courses (Current Academic Year)
- EDLS 7037 Special Populations Seminar
- ECED 5332 Infants and Young Children with Exceptionalities
- ECED 5333 Advanced Early Childhood Special Education
- ECED 5737 Practicum: Infants and Young Children with Disabilities
- ECED 5939 Independent Study of Families and Young Children with Special Needs
- SPED 5931 Research Topics in Special Education
- SPED 5133 Practicum in Inclusive Education
- SPED 5332 Exceptionalities in Infants and Young Children
- SPED 5333 Advanced Early Childhood Special Education
- SPED 5132 Curriculum Approaches to Learning Difficulties
- ECED 4332 Teaching Young Children with Special Needs
- ECED 4333 Advanced Early Childhood Special Education
- SPED 2301 Introduction to Special Populations
- SPED 4332 Early Childhood Special Education
- SPED 4311 Assessment in Special Education
- SPED 4312 Diagnostic Instruction for Learners with Special Needs
- SPED 4313 Individual Instruction for Students with Disabilities
Research interests include emotional dimensions of teaching and learning in early childhood and early childhood special education, instructional ecology, and teacher education (to include emphasis on critical thinking, decision-making and reflective practices)
Awards and Accomplishments
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA): Recommended Practices Ambassador appointed for State of Texas (2016-2020)
- Division for Early Childhood (DEC) Distinguished Volunteer (2015-2018)
- Mentor of the Year: International Council for Exceptional Children’s Division for Early Childhood (DEC) (2014)
- Teacher Educator of the Year: Houston Area Association for the Education Young Children (2013)
- Texas Center for Research, Evaluation & Advancement of Teacher Education (CREATE) Exemplary Faculty Practice for Early Childhood Model Classroom and Practicum with Kirkwood, D. (2013)
- UHCL Minnie Stevens Piper Award Nominee for Excellence in Teaching (2013)