What is the application deadline?
- Fall start: March 1
- Spring start: September 1
When are classes offered?
- Our classes are offered from 4-6:50 p.m. and 7-9:50 p.m., Monday through Thursday.
How many times do I have to come to campus?
- Generally, students come to campus one or two days a week.
How many classes will I be taking?
- You will take 2 classes per semester. This makes you eligible for financial aid.
How long is the program?
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is 60 semester hours and take about 3 years (9 terms)
- The School Counseling Program is 48 semester hours and takes a little over 2 ½ years (7 terms).
Is the program online?
- A few classes are offered fully online with some courses being partially online. The majority of classes are on campus.
Do I have to do field experience courses?
- Yes. You have three field experience courses in both SC and CMHC programs. The first is 100 hours. The second and third are 300 hours each.
Where do you place me for field experiences?
- We don’t place you. We encourage you to find your own site depending on what you want to specialize in.
What can I do with my degree?
- You will be eligible to apply to the state to become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). This license has broad scope and allows you to find and specialize in your chosen area.
- You are also eligible to apply to become a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, a Licensed Play Therapist, and/or Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor
Is there a student group?
- We have Upsilon Chi Lambda, a chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, Counseling Academic and Honor Society International.
Are the Counseling programs accredited?
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program, has submitted a self-study report as part of the application process seeking accreditation through Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP).
- The School Counseling Program is accredited by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).